I may Have Made a Mistake

Old April 9th 06, 12:01 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

Default I may Have Made a Mistake

When I was putting my bug back togather I took someones advice from here
about putting the oil cooler in front of the fan intake. Well I did and the
other day while I was driving around the oil temp went up over 250 deg. I
have tried and the most that I can drive out of town is 10 mi's before it
climbs up there again. To remove the cppler now I will have to pull the
engine again and being disabled I really don't want to do that except as a
lsat resort. So can anyone tell me if there is anything else that I can try
to cool this thing down. I would like to be able to go more the 10 mi's at a
time. By the way all of the tin is on the engine.

Old April 9th 06, 12:58 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

Packrat46 wrote:

> When I was putting my bug back togather I took someones advice from here
> about putting the oil cooler in front of the fan intake. Well I did and the
> other day while I was driving around the oil temp went up over 250 deg. I
> have tried and the most that I can drive out of town is 10 mi's before it
> climbs up there again. To remove the cppler now I will have to pull the
> engine again and being disabled I really don't want to do that except as a
> lsat resort. So can anyone tell me if there is anything else that I can try
> to cool this thing down. I would like to be able to go more the 10 mi's at a
> time. By the way all of the tin is on the engine.

The cooler is just sitting in front of the intake?
If so, a lot of air is just going around it.

When it's mounted in the usual place, high pressure air flow
from the fan is *forced* to go thru the fins of the cooler.
I can't think of any advantage to having it in the fan intake,
unless the thinking is that twice as much air will go thru it.

If you did manage to block off flow around the cooler so all
incoming air *had* to go thru the cooler, I bet the cylinders
would not get enough air flow for proper cooling.

My $.02

Speedy Jim
http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/
Old April 9th 06, 01:13 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

I just went out and checked and the bottom 1/3 of the fan is open, not
covered by the cooler. The cooler is pushed right up to the fire wall. I
would still think that the air would be pulled down through the vanes of the
cooler. I am not sure just what you mean about the usual place. Also it does
not have it's own fan just what is pulled through the engine fan.

et...

Old April 9th 06, 01:25 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

Packrat46 wrote:

> I just went out and checked and the bottom 1/3 of the fan is open, not
> covered by the cooler. The cooler is pushed right up to the fire wall. I
> would still think that the air would be pulled down through the vanes of the
> cooler. I am not sure just what you mean about the usual place. Also it does
> not have it's own fan just what is pulled through the engine fan.

The air will take the easiest way into the fan it can find,
and that will be the 1/3 that is uncovered.

The "usual" place is *inside* the fan shroud. (I know that
you already know that:-)

Maybe someone else will be on here who's more familiar with
aux cooler setups but I feel it's going to be a headache for you.
Jim

Old April 9th 06, 01:57 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

This car has been nothing but a headache since it was pulled out of the
lake. I have rebuilt the complete front end after I had a ball joint come
out. The engine was gone through and the top cut off. So far I have only
been able to drive it less then 200 mi's, if was fun though. : ' ) I just
wish that I could get all of the bugs out of the bug. Plus trying to keep 2
other cars and a van going. I am working what little butt that I have off.
Thanks Speedy

et...

Old April 9th 06, 11:11 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

Sounds to me that you have an EXTRA oil cooler in there? Is the original
still in it's place?

What are the engine specs?

Placing any kind of cooler infront of the fan intake, is a BIG mistake,
and I doubt anyone from this newsgroup would recommend it. It's been
covered countless times. Reason: you are only heating the cooling air,
thereby forcing the engine to overheat faster.

If you still have the original cooler in it's place inside the shroud
and operational, I recommend that you remove the external cooler and
route the oil the normal way, or take advantage of the now existing
fittings and lines by installing a filter. (If you don't have one already).
At the very least, place the cooler somewhere outside of the engine bay.
It's only heating the much neded fresh, cool cooling air, before it goes
into the cooling system. You MAY cool the oil inside the oil cooler a
little once it gets there, but the rest of the engine will run hotter
because it's deprived of cool air. That also makes the oil that is still
inside the engine, HOTTER. None of it makes any sense.

99% of the external oil coolers were installed "because someone told me
to" or because the builder saw them advertised or pictured in a
magazine, and bought the marketing hype. 99% of the engines that have
them, don't need them. In fact it causes more HARM than good, in most
cases.

An external cooler located in a suitable place (OUTSIDE of the engine
compartment) is justified in RACING, and in very hot climates. Where are
you located?

Jan

Packrat46 wrote:
> This car has been nothing but a headache since it was pulled out of the
> lake. I have rebuilt the complete front end after I had a ball joint come
> out. The engine was gone through and the top cut off. So far I have only
> been able to drive it less then 200 mi's, if was fun though. : ' ) I just
> wish that I could get all of the bugs out of the bug. Plus trying to keep 2
> other cars and a van going. I am working what little butt that I have off.
> Thanks Speedy
>
> "Speedy Jim" > wrote in message
> et...
>
>>Packrat46 wrote:
>>

>>>I just went out and checked and the bottom 1/3 of the fan is open, not
>>>covered by the cooler. The cooler is pushed right up to the fire wall. I
>>>would still think that the air would be pulled down through the vanes of
>>>the cooler. I am not sure just what you mean about the usual place. Also
>>>it does not have it's own fan just what is pulled through the engine fan.
>>>

>> The air will take the easiest way into the fan it can find,
>>and that will be the 1/3 that is uncovered.
>>
>> The "usual" place is *inside* the fan shroud. (I know that
>>you already know that:-)
>>
>>Maybe someone else will be on here who's more familiar with
>>aux cooler setups but I feel it's going to be a headache for you.
>>Jim

y.net...

Old April 9th 06, 01:08 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

First off yes the reason that I put it on is that I live in Tx. and it can
get up over 100 deg. some days. I installed the adpeter in place of the
original oil cooler and also have an oil filter as well. I just hate the
thought of pulling the engine now that I seem to have all of the bug's out
of it and have all of the oil leaks fixed.

"Jan Andersson" > wrote in message

> Sounds to me that you have an EXTRA oil cooler in there? Is the original
> still in it's place?
>
> What are the engine specs?
>
> Placing any kind of cooler infront of the fan intake, is a BIG mistake,
> and I doubt anyone from this newsgroup would recommend it. It's been
> covered countless times. Reason: you are only heating the cooling air,
> thereby forcing the engine to overheat faster.
>
> If you still have the original cooler in it's place inside the shroud and
> operational, I recommend that you remove the external cooler and route the
> oil the normal way, or take advantage of the now existing fittings and
> lines by installing a filter. (If you don't have one already).
> At the very least, place the cooler somewhere outside of the engine bay.
> It's only heating the much neded fresh, cool cooling air, before it goes
> into the cooling system. You MAY cool the oil inside the oil cooler a
> little once it gets there, but the rest of the engine will run hotter
> because it's deprived of cool air. That also makes the oil that is still
> inside the engine, HOTTER. None of it makes any sense.
>

> 99% of the external oil coolers were installed "because someone told me
> to" or because the builder saw them advertised or pictured in a magazine,
> and bought the marketing hype. 99% of the engines that have them, don't
> need them. In fact it causes more HARM than good, in most cases.
>
> An external cooler located in a suitable place (OUTSIDE of the engine
> compartment) is justified in RACING, and in very hot climates. Where are
> you located?
>

> Jan
>

> Packrat46 wrote:
>> This car has been nothing but a headache since it was pulled out of the
>> lake. I have rebuilt the complete front end after I had a ball joint come
>> out. The engine was gone through and the top cut off. So far I have only
>> been able to drive it less then 200 mi's, if was fun though. : ' ) I just
>> wish that I could get all of the bugs out of the bug. Plus trying to keep
>> 2 other cars and a van going. I am working what little butt that I have
>> off.
>> Thanks Speedy
>>
>> "Speedy Jim" > wrote in message
>> et...

>>> The air will take the easiest way into the fan it can find,
>>>and that will be the 1/3 that is uncovered.
>>>
>>> The "usual" place is *inside* the fan shroud. (I know that
>>>you already know that:-)
>>>
>>>Maybe someone else will be on here who's more familiar with
>>>aux cooler setups but I feel it's going to be a headache for you.
>>>Jim

gy.net...

Old April 9th 06, 06:47 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

To be able to remove the fan shroud, you have to remove the engine lid
and it's hinge posts too. The pain of re-aligning the lid and hinges is
much greater than the pain of reinstalling the engine. In my opinion

Jan

kerfoker wrote:

> I don't think you have to pull the engine to replace the stock
> oil cooler. Just take off the fan housing and you should be able
> to access the area to mount a regular oil cooler, right?
>
> Packrat46 wrote:
>
>>First off yes the reason that I put it on is that I live in Tx. and it can
>>get up over 100 deg. some days. I installed the adpeter in place of the
>>original oil cooler and also have an oil filter as well. I just hate the
>>thought of pulling the engine now that I seem to have all of the bug's out
>>of it and have all of the oil leaks fixed.
>>
>>"Jan Andersson" > wrote in message
>>
>>>Sounds to me that you have an EXTRA oil cooler in there? Is the original
>>>still in it's place?
>>>
>>>What are the engine specs?
>>>
>>>Placing any kind of cooler infront of the fan intake, is a BIG mistake,
>>>and I doubt anyone from this newsgroup would recommend it. It's been
>>>covered countless times. Reason: you are only heating the cooling air,
>>>thereby forcing the engine to overheat faster.
>>>
>>>If you still have the original cooler in it's place inside the shroud and
>>>operational, I recommend that you remove the external cooler and route the
>>>oil the normal way, or take advantage of the now existing fittings and
>>>lines by installing a filter. (If you don't have one already).
>>>At the very least, place the cooler somewhere outside of the engine bay.
>>>It's only heating the much neded fresh, cool cooling air, before it goes
>>>into the cooling system. You MAY cool the oil inside the oil cooler a
>>>little once it gets there, but the rest of the engine will run hotter
>>>because it's deprived of cool air. That also makes the oil that is still
>>>inside the engine, HOTTER. None of it makes any sense.
>>>

>>>99% of the external oil coolers were installed "because someone told me
>>>to" or because the builder saw them advertised or pictured in a magazine,
>>>and bought the marketing hype. 99% of the engines that have them, don't
>>>need them. In fact it causes more HARM than good, in most cases.
>>>
>>>An external cooler located in a suitable place (OUTSIDE of the engine
>>>compartment) is justified in RACING, and in very hot climates. Where are
>>>you located?
>>>

>>>Jan

gy.net...

> [...]
digy.net...

Old April 9th 06, 08:54 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

"Jan Andersson" > wrote in message
> To be able to remove the fan shroud, you have to remove the engine lid
> and it's hinge posts too. The pain of re-aligning the lid and hinges is
> much greater than the pain of reinstalling the engine. In my opinion

In general, probably true.

However, the guy who started the thread said he was "disabled." If he's
speaking of the sort of disabled where one has limited, or no, use of his legs,
then the hood bit might be easier since it could be done mostly or entirely
from a seated position near the engine compartment.

- Bill

Old April 9th 06, 09:26 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

Jan,

Youre kidding ? I would rather pull of the deck lid and work on my motor
than pull the motor out anytime!
Remove the deck lid and hinge points on the body, remove the fan belt, and
then the carb. Now the generator/alternator and, throttle cable and guide
tube, then the shroud.

HTH, Mike