low profile tyres + snow = kerb :(

Old March 12th 06, 05:29 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo

Default low profile tyres + snow = kerb :(

Depressing calculation:

(10mph + snow on ground + turn right) = (understeer + kerb + bump)

Alfa GT 18" aloys, now with nasty scrape and steering wheel shake increasing
with speed.

I know I can have the cosmetic damage on the alloy fixed for around £40, but
what other damage do you think could have been caused at that sort of speed
to cause the wheel shake. Could the wheel be buckled? Suspension damage? And
at what cost?

Anyone got experience of this sort of mishap could give me an idea what kind
of financial pain to expect from my local Alfa dealer when I put it in for
repair?

Thanks - Grahame.

Old March 12th 06, 06:03 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo

Grahame wrote:
> Depressing calculation:
>
> (10mph + snow on ground + turn right) = (understeer + kerb + bump)
>
> Alfa GT 18" aloys, now with nasty scrape and steering wheel shake increasing
> with speed.
>
> I know I can have the cosmetic damage on the alloy fixed for around £40, but
> what other damage do you think could have been caused at that sort of speed
> to cause the wheel shake. Could the wheel be buckled? Suspension damage? And
> at what cost?
>
> Anyone got experience of this sort of mishap could give me an idea what kind
> of financial pain to expect from my local Alfa dealer when I put it in for
> repair?
>
> Thanks - Grahame.

At 10mph I'd think it's just knocked your tracking out. Fairly cheap to
get it checked at any major tyre fitters (Don't go to Kwik Fit though,
apparently they're still up to their old tricks trying to rip people off
for things they don't need).

--
I Amuse (I am Hughes.)

Instead of a sig, here is a magic eye picture. Stare at these dots until
they merge into one.

. .

Great, now **** off you boss-eyed ****!
Old March 12th 06, 06:39 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo

Hughes. wrote:

>> Anyone got experience of this sort of mishap could give me an idea
>> what kind of financial pain to expect from my local Alfa dealer when I
>> put it in for repair?
>>
>> Thanks - Grahame.

> At 10mph I'd think it's just knocked your tracking out. Fairly cheap to
> get it checked at any major tyre fitters (Don't go to Kwik Fit though,
> apparently they're still up to their old tricks trying to rip people off
> for things they don't need).

My wife did a similar thing in a Peugeot 309. Buckled a steel wheel and
knocked the tracking out. The pedestrians on the pavement by the curb
she hit probably took a bit longer to get over it!

My fault of course cos I had phoned in from work to say I had arrived
safely on my motorbike in the snow and the roads weren't too bad. She
went off on the first bend...
Old March 12th 06, 07:28 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo

Hughes. wrote:

> Grahame wrote:
>> Depressing calculation:
>>
>> (10mph + snow on ground + turn right) = (understeer + kerb + bump)
>>
>> Alfa GT 18" aloys, now with nasty scrape and steering wheel shake
>> increasing with speed.
>>
>> I know I can have the cosmetic damage on the alloy fixed for around £40,
>> but what other damage do you think could have been caused at that sort of
>> speed to cause the wheel shake. Could the wheel be buckled? Suspension
>> damage? And at what cost?
>>
>> Anyone got experience of this sort of mishap could give me an idea what
>> kind of financial pain to expect from my local Alfa dealer when I put it
>> in for repair?
>>
>> Thanks - Grahame.
>>

> At 10mph I'd think it's just knocked your tracking out. Fairly cheap to
> get it checked at any major tyre fitters (Don't go to Kwik Fit though,
> apparently they're still up to their old tricks trying to rip people off
> for things they don't need).

Might also have buckled the wheel, or lost a balance weight.
--
Catman MIB#14 SKoGA#6 TEAR#4 BOTAFOF#38 Apostle#21 COSOC#3 OMF#22
Alfa 116 Giulietta 3.0l (Really) Sprint 1.7 156 TS S2
Old March 12th 06, 08:27 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo

"Tony Rickard" > wrote in message
k...
> Hughes. wrote:
>
>>> Anyone got experience of this sort of mishap could give me an idea what
>>> kind of financial pain to expect from my local Alfa dealer when I put it
>>> in for repair?
>>>
>>> Thanks - Grahame.

>> At 10mph I'd think it's just knocked your tracking out. Fairly cheap to
>> get it checked at any major tyre fitters (Don't go to Kwik Fit though,
>> apparently they're still up to their old tricks trying to rip people off
>> for things they don't need).

> My wife did a similar thing in a Peugeot 309. Buckled a steel wheel and
> knocked the tracking out. The pedestrians on the pavement by the curb she
> hit probably took a bit longer to get over it!
>
> My fault of course cos I had phoned in from work to say I had arrived
> safely on my motorbike in the snow and the roads weren't too bad. She went
> off on the first bend...

The embarrasing thing was, I was following my wife's 1 litre Corsa with
skinny tyres and 0 performance / handing. I watched her go effortlessley
'round the corner and followed her (a bit slower if anything) I just drifted
towards the kerb and OUCH. There was a gritter parked by the roadside
(yeah - just parked, not gritting or anything useful like that!) when I
looked in my rear view mirror he was pi55ing himself laughing, ba5tard!

Old March 12th 06, 08:50 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo

Grahame wrote:

> The embarrasing thing was, I was following my wife's 1 litre Corsa with
> skinny tyres and 0 performance / handing.

Skinny tyres = good for snow!
Old March 12th 06, 09:22 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo

Tony Rickard wrote:

> Grahame wrote:
>
>> The embarrasing thing was, I was following my wife's 1 litre Corsa with
>> skinny tyres and 0 performance / handing.

> Skinny tyres = good for snow!

Good for many poor traction situations in fact. Some years (about 20) ago
there were some tyres that you could buy for Porches and so on. They were,
in effect, two skinny tyres that fitted on a standard rim. Apparently
*much* better at expelling water. Not sure if modern tread patterns have
reduced any possible advantage, but AIUI skiiny tyres means greater ground
contact pressure.
Old March 12th 06, 10:48 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo

"Grahame" > wrote in message
> Depressing calculation:
>
> (10mph + snow on ground + turn right) = (understeer + kerb + bump)
>
> Alfa GT 18" aloys, now with nasty scrape and steering wheel shake

increasing
> with speed.

If speed shake is about 50mph and above then it will balancing.

If speed shake is a problem at 20mph and above it sounds like a buckled
wheel, and/or a knackered suspension rod.

Old March 13th 06, 12:06 AM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo

Why do low profile tyres have problems with snow?

Anybody with custom alloys on my housing development seems to have problems
with Alloys and Snow...

Dom

Old March 13th 06, 06:42 AM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo

Domestos wrote:

> Why do low profile tyres have problems with snow?
>
> Anybody with custom alloys on my housing development seems to have
> problems with Alloys and Snow...

Maybe they are of the breed that thinks that big wheels + low profiles + big
exhausts = driving skill?