Wheel for Vista

Old August 19th 07, 10:15 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Lol

Default Wheel for Vista

Neighbour of mine enjoyed my racing setup (GPL, Rally Trophy, GP4 and 2 MS
Sidewinder wheels), would like to have a go himself.
But he has a newish laptop with Vista on it (that we don't want to mess
up) - GP4 installed and worked Ok, but he needs a wheel to get properly
hooked.

Would some kind soul; please suggest a wheel to get from ebay, where we
have some hope of drivers working under Vista?

The MS Sidewinder seems to be a lost cause, some Logitechs look hopeful for
drivers but only the very expensive wheels seem to be any good. I've spent
quite a while browsing to no decisive effect - help please!

Many thanks,
Lol

Old August 20th 07, 01:00 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
mls067

Lol wrote:
> Neighbour of mine enjoyed my racing setup (GPL, Rally Trophy, GP4 and 2 MS
> Sidewinder wheels), would like to have a go himself.
> But he has a newish laptop with Vista on it (that we don't want to mess
> up) - GP4 installed and worked Ok, but he needs a wheel to get properly
> hooked.
>
> Would some kind soul; please suggest a wheel to get from ebay, where we
> have some hope of drivers working under Vista?
>
> The MS Sidewinder seems to be a lost cause, some Logitechs look hopeful for
> drivers but only the very expensive wheels seem to be any good. I've spent
> quite a while browsing to no decisive effect - help please!
>
> Many thanks,
> Lol

I use the logitech momo without any problems on nascar 2003 and Richard
burns rally. I have the logitech profiler installed also. Hope that
helps a little.

Mike
mls67
Old August 20th 07, 05:30 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Greg Campbell

mls067 wrote:

> Lol wrote:
>> Neighbour of mine enjoyed my racing setup (GPL, Rally Trophy, GP4 and
>> 2 MS Sidewinder wheels), would like to have a go himself.
>> But he has a newish laptop with Vista on it (that we don't want to
>> mess up) - GP4 installed and worked Ok, but he needs a wheel to get
>> properly hooked.
>>
>> Would some kind soul; please suggest a wheel to get from ebay, where
>> we have some hope of drivers working under Vista?
>>
>> The MS Sidewinder seems to be a lost cause, some Logitechs look
>> hopeful for drivers but only the very expensive wheels seem to be any
>> good. I've spent quite a while browsing to no decisive effect - help
>> please!
>>
>> Many thanks,
>> Lol
>>

> I use the logitech momo without any problems on nascar 2003 and
> Richard burns rally. I have the logitech profiler installed also. Hope
> that helps a little.
>

> Mike
> mls67

Yea, the Momo does OK for under a hundred bucks (US). Be sure to
implement one of the paddle switch fixes found at
http://forum.rscnet.org/showthread.php?t=61403
Otherwise the paddles may well die in short order. Mine lasted all of 2
months, and I was being extra gentle.

The 'bus style' pedals can be modded to good effect with some hinges,
roller wheels or teflon sliders, and two short planks of ~1/2" wood
(your new pedals!)

-Greg
Old August 20th 07, 09:41 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Lol[_2_]

"Greg Campbell" > wrote in message
> mls067 wrote:
>
>> Lol wrote:
>>> Neighbour of mine enjoyed my racing setup (GPL, Rally Trophy, GP4 and 2
>>> MS Sidewinder wheels), would like to have a go himself.
>>> But he has a newish laptop with Vista on it (that we don't want to mess
>>> up) - GP4 installed and worked Ok, but he needs a wheel to get properly
>>> hooked.
>>>
>>> Would some kind soul; please suggest a wheel to get from ebay, where we
>>> have some hope of drivers working under Vista?
>>>
>>> The MS Sidewinder seems to be a lost cause, some Logitechs look hopeful
>>> for drivers but only the very expensive wheels seem to be any good. I've
>>> spent quite a while browsing to no decisive effect - help please!
>>>
>>> Many thanks,
>>> Lol
>>>

>> I use the logitech momo without any problems on nascar 2003 and
>> Richard burns rally. I have the logitech profiler installed also. Hope
>> that helps a little.
>>

>> Mike
>> mls67

> Yea, the Momo does OK for under a hundred bucks (US). Be sure to
> implement one of the paddle switch fixes found at
> http://forum.rscnet.org/showthread.php?t=61403
> Otherwise the paddles may well die in short order. Mine lasted all of 2
> months, and I was being extra gentle.
>
> The 'bus style' pedals can be modded to good effect with some hinges,
> roller wheels or teflon sliders, and two short planks of ~1/2" wood (your
> new pedals!)
>
> -Greg

Thanks for that help - unanimous support for the Momo (M$'s support for
their hardware on their OS is unmentionable, so I won't).
Thanks,
Lol

Old August 20th 07, 10:31 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Yukon Jack

"Lol" > wrote in message
. uk...
> Thanks for that help - unanimous support for the Momo (M$'s support for
> their hardware on their OS is unmentionable, so I won't).
> Thanks,
> Lol

Old Microsoft gaming gear has the drivers built into the OS. I haven't tried
my MS FFB wheel on Vista yet but my MS PP joystick was detected by Vista and
works fine. I don't need the wheel in Vista as I have all my racing games
installed to XP. As an experiment I just hooked up my MS FFB Wheel and
Pedals to Vista64 and it works fine so what is your complaint about MS
wheels not working on Vista? As far as I can see you are blowing smoke up my
arse. The only option you lose is to set split axis for gas and brake pedals
but that is how it is on XP too. Your MS wheel should work fine in Vista.
What model is it?

Old August 21st 07, 04:49 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
alexti

"Yukon Jack" > wrote in
:

> The only option you lose is to set split
> axis for gas and brake pedals but that is how it is on XP too. Your MS
> wheel should work fine in Vista. What model is it?

Wouldn't it losing separate gas/brake would make the wheel nearly useless?
Or am I misunderstanding what you are saying? I have MSFFW that I like and
that's one of the reasons I'm not upgrading.

Old August 21st 07, 07:44 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Yukon Jack

"alexti" > wrote in message
5.159...
> Wouldn't it losing separate gas/brake would make the wheel nearly useless?
> Or am I misunderstanding what you are saying? I have MSFFW that I like and
> that's one of the reasons I'm not upgrading.

I think you are misunderstanding me. Gas and brake pedals still work
correctly but before on Win98 with Microsoft provided driver you could set
split axis option or combined axis for gas and brake pedals. Combined means
the axis is combined and split means they are on a separate axis. Split axis
allows you to use brake and gas at the same time, combined doesn't. It's no
big deal but some people prefer to use split axis at is is more realistic.
Some games don't even allow split axis anyway and you must use combined.
That option was lost once XP came out with it's built in Microsoft drivers
and it is the same on Vista. Anyway, all my gaming hardware is Microsoft and
it all works on Vista.
I even have a 360 gamepad and use that on both XP and Vista. Best gamepad
ever made, IMO.

Old August 21st 07, 08:01 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Lol

"Yukon Jack" > wrote in message
> "alexti" > wrote in message
> 5.159...
>> Wouldn't it losing separate gas/brake would make the wheel nearly
>> useless?
>> Or am I misunderstanding what you are saying? I have MSFFW that I like
>> and
>> that's one of the reasons I'm not upgrading.
>>

> I think you are misunderstanding me. Gas and brake pedals still work
> correctly but before on Win98 with Microsoft provided driver you could set
> split axis option or combined axis for gas and brake pedals. Combined
> means the axis is combined and split means they are on a separate axis.
> Split axis allows you to use brake and gas at the same time, combined
> doesn't. It's no big deal but some people prefer to use split axis at is
> is more realistic. Some games don't even allow split axis anyway and you
> must use combined. That option was lost once XP came out with it's built
> in Microsoft drivers and it is the same on Vista. Anyway, all my gaming
> hardware is Microsoft and it all works on Vista.
> I even have a 360 gamepad and use that on both XP and Vista. Best gamepad
> ever made, IMO.

http://members.driverguide.com/drive...driverid=79453
v4 of the "Sidewinder Game Controller Software" works just fine on XP, but
is a total no go on Vista.
Lol

Old August 22nd 07, 05:50 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
alexti

"Yukon Jack" > wrote in
:

> "alexti" > wrote in message
> 5.159...
>> Wouldn't it losing separate gas/brake would make the wheel nearly
>> useless? Or am I misunderstanding what you are saying? I have MSFFW
>> that I like and that's one of the reasons I'm not upgrading.
>>

> I think you are misunderstanding me. Gas and brake pedals still work
> correctly but before on Win98 with Microsoft provided driver you could
> set split axis option or combined axis for gas and brake pedals.
> Combined means the axis is combined and split means they are on a
> separate axis. Split axis allows you to use brake and gas at the same
> time, combined doesn't.

Combined axis is like having just one pedal in the car (one direction -
gas, another - brake). Generally gas & brake != gas-break, the car behaves
totally different, so if you're in racing simulators combined axis is
pretty much unusable - you just can't control the car in the corners with
your feet.
Old August 22nd 07, 09:21 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Yukon Jack

"Lol" > wrote in message news:_4wyi.10127>
http://members.driverguide.com/drive...driverid=79453
> v4 of the "Sidewinder Game Controller Software" works just fine on XP, but
> is a total no go on Vista.
> Lol

I don't think those drivers are 100% compatible with XP. I have those
drivers on disk and there was some issue but can't remember what it was now.
Maybe that was in the early days of XP and a Microsoft compat update may
have fixed it so will try installing them to XP as I would rather have split
axis than combined.

N2003 and Vista Mookytc Simulators 15 July 15th 08 05:34 AM
Logitech Driving Force wheel & Vista Dave Weaver Simulators 2 July 3rd 07 02:12 PM
New X-Fi Vista Drivers Larry \(The Other Larry\) Simulators 0 June 5th 07 02:05 PM
vista and gpl Milo Johnson Simulators 19 February 5th 07 05:34 PM