Cool Air Kit - Deck Lid Stand Offs - Instructions Needed Please!

Old May 8th 06, 08:36 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

Default Cool Air Kit - Deck Lid Stand Offs - Instructions Needed Please!

Hi all!
It's been a long time since I installed my cool air kit for hot
weather.

http://aircooled.net/new-bin/viewpro... 200636253676

Would someone please give me some tips?

Do I need to remove the two curved hinge support brackets be fore
intalling the kit?

Thanks!

Old May 8th 06, 08:45 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

Here is a link for the extension you need if you want to use the deck
lid spring when using the deck lid stand off kit.

http://wolfgangint.com/SubPages/Part...71GsS395F 144

Old May 9th 06, 09:02 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

wrote:
> Hi all!
> It's been a long time since I installed my cool air kit for hot
> weather.

http://aircooled.net/new-bin/viewpro... 200636253676

> Would someone please give me some tips?
>
> Do I need to remove the two curved hinge support brackets be fore
> intalling the kit?
>
> Thanks!

Yes!

I figured it out.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Removal Instructions With Deck Lid Quick Release Pins

Disconnect the license tag light,

Remove the big spring.

Put on a sock cap to act
as a cushion for your head.

Support the deck lid from underneath with
the top of your head.
Hold it with one hand while you remove deck lid quick release pins

Carefully place the deck lid down on something soft like a big
beach towel, top side up to avoid scratching it.

Remove the air cleaner.

Put a clean shop towel
on the top of the carb to keep out bugs and dirt.

Loosen all nuts and bolts.

Remove all the nuts and bots except for one on each side.

Install the standoffs

replace the lid

Align the lid

Install the spring adapter if you have one.

Replace the air cleaner. Use the stock paper element air cleaner. It is
more suitable for wet weather.

Might use a disposable $1.00 poncho to cover the gap while it is parked
outside.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Removal Instructions Without Deck Lid Quick Release Pins

Disconnect the license tag light,

Put on a sock cap to act
as a cushion for your head.

Remove the air cleaner.

Put a clean shop towel
on the top of the carb to keep out bugs and dirt.

Remove the big spring.

Loosen all nuts and bolts.

Remove all the nuts and bots except for one on each side.

Support the deck lid from underneath with
the top of your head. Hold it with one hand while you remove the
remaining
nuts and bolts.

Carefully place the deck lid down on something soft like a big
beach towel, top side up to avoid scratching it.

Install the standoffs and
replace the lid and align it.

Replace the air cleaner.