Noisy brakes on 1996 Chrysler T&C with ABS

Old April 9th 06, 04:47 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

Default Noisy brakes on 1996 Chrysler T&C with ABS

My '96 Town and Country started making noises a couple of years ago when
braking. Noise seems to eminate from the rear drums. Particularly in warm
weather, they make a loud "Whump, Whump, Whump,etc." sound and the brake
pedal pulsates slightly. I've had three different mechanics check it out and
they all said the brakes are in good shape and there is nothing wrong with
them. The vehicle only has 42, 000 miles on it and I don't know what to do
next.
Old April 9th 06, 07:13 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

--

"D. Dean" <u20685@uwe> wrote in message news:5e86720017440@uwe...
> My '96 Town and Country started making noises a couple of years ago when
> braking. Noise seems to eminate from the rear drums. Particularly in

warm
> weather, they make a loud "Whump, Whump, Whump,etc." sound and the brake
> pedal pulsates slightly. I've had three different mechanics check it out

and
> they all said the brakes are in good shape and there is nothing wrong with
> them. The vehicle only has 42, 000 miles on it and I don't know what to

do
> next.

Take it to someone that can tell you what the problem is. Some squeaks and
grind noises are normal especially on cold damp damps.
Noises and pulsations need to be checked out by a qualified technician.

Glenn Beasley
Chrysler Tech

Old April 9th 06, 10:41 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

Thanks, but where does one find a "qualified" technician? Do you think it
would help to replace the rear brake shoes? One mechanic cleaned the drums
and sanded the shoes. That helped for about two days.

Old April 9th 06, 11:19 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

--

"D. Dean via CarKB.com" <u20685@uwe> wrote in message
> Thanks, but where does one find a "qualified" technician? Do you think it
> would help to replace the rear brake shoes? One mechanic cleaned the

drums
> and sanded the shoes. That helped for about two days.
>
> maxpower wrote:
> >> My '96 Town and Country started making noises a couple of years ago

when
> >> braking. Noise seems to eminate from the rear drums. Particularly in

warm
> >[quoted text clipped - 3 lines]
> >> them. The vehicle only has 42, 000 miles on it and I don't know what

to do
> >> next.

> >Take it to someone that can tell you what the problem is. Some squeaks

and
> >grind noises are normal especially on cold damp damps.
> >Noises and pulsations need to be checked out by a qualified technician.
> >
> >Glenn Beasley
> >Chrysler Tech

Word of mouth finds a good shop with good tech's. If the brakes are making a
whoop whooop noise and pulsating it sounds to me like maybe they are seizing
up, getting hot and doing this. It could even have something to do with the
emergency brake system.
If you are asking me if putting new shoes on will fix it, I cant answer that
without seeing or hearing the problem.
I think the problem is something sticking.

Glenn Beasley
Chrysler Tech

Old April 10th 06, 04:50 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

Ken,
Thanks for letting me know about your brake problem. I'm of the opinion that
it might be wise to replace the rear brakes. The only thing I'm wondering is
could it be something wrong in the ABS?

Don

Old April 10th 06, 04:56 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

Thanks, Glenn,

Could it have something to do with the ABS? I live in a small city (less
than 60,000) so choices of really good auto techs is somewhat lacking. I'll
relate the information you sent to the next brake technician I take the van
to. Thanks again.

Don

Old April 10th 06, 07:40 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

D. Dean via CarKB.com wrote:
> Ken,
> Thanks for letting me know about your brake problem. I'm of the opinion that
> it might be wise to replace the rear brakes. The only thing I'm wondering is
> could it be something wrong in the ABS?
>
> Don

Hi Don...

I stand ready to be corrected by the mechanics here, but I
suspect that your abs is working fine... proving it every
time you've stopped lately

Willing to bet you a dollar to a doughnut that you have
exactly the same problem I had, with the only difference
being that the old Olds had no abs.

So - everytime I braked the wheel locked up solid; whereas your
abs is preventing lock up. Then the abs releasing the brakes
causes the whump sound everytime it applies/releases, and the
jiggle you're feeling in the pedal is just normal for the abs.

If dollars are a little tight, and/or service is far away,
it was pretty easy to change (rebuild) the wheel cylinder.
Toughest part of changing it is getting the old fitting off
(you need the correct wrenches). Then naturally you have to
bleed the brakes. Rebuilding would be even easier, though you'd
have to get ahold of a hone.

And once more, I'm absolutely convinced that you have to change
the pads. Once they're contaminated there just ain't no
amount of cleaning and sanding that will save them permanently.

Take care.

Ken

Old April 10th 06, 09:57 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

Thanks, Ken. You know, your explanation makes a lot of sense. So, if that's
the case, I will need to have my brake cylinders rebuilt or replaced and also
replace the shoes. The first time it happened, we were on vacation, it was
early in the morning and it was so loud it scared the heck out of me. It
isn't quite as loud now.

I appreciate you taking the time to help me out.

Don

Old April 11th 06, 03:03 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

"Ken Weitzel" > wrote in message

> D. Dean via CarKB.com wrote:
> > Ken,
> > Thanks for letting me know about your brake problem. I'm of the opinion

that
> > it might be wise to replace the rear brakes. The only thing I'm

wondering is
> > could it be something wrong in the ABS?
> >
> > Don

> Hi Don...
>
> I stand ready to be corrected by the mechanics here, but I
> suspect that your abs is working fine... proving it every
> time you've stopped lately
>
> Willing to bet you a dollar to a doughnut that you have
> exactly the same problem I had, with the only difference
> being that the old Olds had no abs.
>
> So - everytime I braked the wheel locked up solid; whereas your
> abs is preventing lock up. Then the abs releasing the brakes
> causes the whump sound everytime it applies/releases, and the
> jiggle you're feeling in the pedal is just normal for the abs.
>
> If dollars are a little tight, and/or service is far away,
> it was pretty easy to change (rebuild) the wheel cylinder.
> Toughest part of changing it is getting the old fitting off
> (you need the correct wrenches). Then naturally you have to
> bleed the brakes. Rebuilding would be even easier, though you'd
> have to get ahold of a hone.
>
> And once more, I'm absolutely convinced that you have to change
> the pads. Once they're contaminated there just ain't no
> amount of cleaning and sanding that will save them permanently.

You got to be really careful when changing calipers or wheel cylinders on
a car with ABS. If you allow too much air into the brake lines, and the air
gets up into the ABS controller valves, you can NOT bleed them yourself, it
must
be done with a scan tool. (and not a $199 cheapie, either)

I would try having an assistant sitting in the car, loosen the brake line
just a bit,
then get all the bolts and such out, then quickly undo the brake line and
then
slap the new cylinder in, then quickly tighten the line and then have the
assistant
start pressing the petal and get the bleed cycle going. And make sure the
master cylinder is full, if it sucks air, your screwed.

I've never bothered rebuilding wheel cylinders, the cost of new ones is
cheap
enough to just go new.

Ted

Old April 11th 06, 05:02 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

We bought our 96 T&C new and had a bunch of problems with it in the first
few years. Reading your post caused me to recall that we also had this
problem with ours.

If I remember properly, it was some sort of design problem that merited
either a recall or a TSB. Chrysler fixed ours under warranty. I suggest you
do a little research on line and, if you can find a reputable one, discuss
it with your friendly Chrysler dealer.

Good luck.

Ken