SHOCKER - Maryland: Red Light Cameras Increase Accidents

Old April 4th 06, 01:11 AM posted to rec.autos.driving

Default SHOCKER - Maryland: Red Light Cameras Increase Accidents

http://www.thenewspaper.com/news/10/1051.asp

Maryland: Red Light Cameras Increase Accidents

Anne Arundel County, Maryland red light cameras increase accidents
25-41 percent, but generate $2.85 million in revenue.

Red light cameras in Anne Arundel County, Maryland failed to reduce
accidents in five years of use. A set of five cameras were set up in
the communities of Arnold, Pasadena, Parole, and Crofton in 2000, but a
comparison of accident statistics five years before and five years
after their installation shows accidents have increased beyond the ten
percent increase in traffic volume.

Upon installation, the cameras caused an immediate 40 percent increase
in rear-end collisions from 53 in 1999 to 74 in 2000. Overall accidents
were up between 25 percent and 41 percent from 107 in 1999 to 134 in
2001 and 151 in 2002.

The county recently dropped camera vendor ACS in favor of ATS which now
receives a $20 bounty on every ticket the company issues. So far, $2.85
million in revenue has been generated. ATS cameras issued their first
tickets on April 1.

A number of independent studies have documented similar negative side
effects to red light camera enforcement. As a result of research on
Virginia's camera program, the legislature decided last July to end
photo ticketing in the state. West Virginia's legislature approved its
own camera ban which was signed into law on March 31.

Old April 4th 06, 01:19 AM posted to rec.autos.driving

wrote:

http://www.thenewspaper.com/news/10/1051.asp

> Maryland: Red Light Cameras Increase Accidents
>
> Anne Arundel County, Maryland red light cameras increase accidents
> 25-41 percent, but generate $2.85 million in revenue.
>

> Red light cameras in Anne Arundel County, Maryland failed to reduce
> accidents in five years of use. A set of five cameras were set up in
> the communities of Arnold, Pasadena, Parole, and Crofton in 2000, but a
> comparison of accident statistics five years before and five years
> after their installation shows accidents have increased beyond the ten
> percent increase in traffic volume.
>
> Upon installation, the cameras caused an immediate 40 percent increase
> in rear-end collisions from 53 in 1999 to 74 in 2000. Overall accidents
> were up between 25 percent and 41 percent from 107 in 1999 to 134 in
> 2001 and 151 in 2002.
>
> The county recently dropped camera vendor ACS in favor of ATS which now
> receives a $20 bounty on every ticket the company issues. So far, $2.85
> million in revenue has been generated. ATS cameras issued their first
> tickets on April 1.
>
> A number of independent studies have documented similar negative side
> effects to red light camera enforcement. As a result of research on
> Virginia's camera program, the legislature decided last July to end
> photo ticketing in the state. West Virginia's legislature approved its
> own camera ban which was signed into law on March 31.

I'm shocked, SHOCKED I say. Who could possibly have predicted this?

FWIW I'm not even sure that they work properly, I saw the camera "flash"
at the intersection of Richie Highway and Arnold Road on Sun. and there
was nobody even close to running the red light. It only flashed once
though, how could it determine if someone ran the red without
"bracketing" pictures to establish motion? Hope nobody gets an
undeserved ticket...

nate

(no front plate on the Studebaker, so I know I'm safe! I'm such a
scofflaw... actually just haven't gotten around to sandblasting the
front plate bracket, but still...)

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

electrically stupid BDragon Corvette 32 February 6th 05 09:14 AM
red light cameras/NY Times fbloogyudsr Driving 43 January 20th 05 01:12 AM
Legailty Of Traffic Light Cameras TURBOROCCO VW water cooled 32 December 6th 04 06:56 PM