Driving a Manual in snow/ice???

Old January 5th 05, 04:31 PM
Mistyloowho

Default Driving a Manual in snow/ice???

HELP! I have been driving a standard now for about...ohhh, 2 days and it
is snowing out while I am at work. Supposed to be a nightmare commute in
the morning and I cannot miss work. I am nervous. I am still working on
the hill-starts and have only stalled about 3-4 times but still working on
going after a full start. I am very concerned about driving a manual in
the snow and ice tomorrow, its supposed to be very slippery. Any advice
from you manual drivers for a newbie??

Old January 5th 05, 04:52 PM
Harry K

Just the same ones you would use for auto. Except for starting there
is no difference.
EASY on the gas - always
EASY on the brakes - always
Keep your speed DOWN.
NEVER spin your tires - it only heats them up and turns what you are on
into ice. Ease off the gas the second you even suspect tire slip.

Starting out I use one gear higher than normal. Torque and HP are your
enemies on slick roads.

Harry K

Old January 5th 05, 04:54 PM
fbloogyudsr

"Mistyloowho" > wrote
> HELP! I have been driving a standard now for about...ohhh, 2 days and it
> is snowing out while I am at work. Supposed to be a nightmare commute in
> the morning and I cannot miss work. I am nervous. I am still working on
> the hill-starts and have only stalled about 3-4 times but still working on
> going after a full start. I am very concerned about driving a manual in
> the snow and ice tomorrow, its supposed to be very slippery. Any advice
> from you manual drivers for a newbie??

1) shift as early as possible (use the highest gear you can)
2) never actually stop - treat stop signs as yields.
3) pick a route w/o hill starts - at your stage, in snow, you'll not be able
to start on them.
4) don't use engine braking.

Floyd

Old January 5th 05, 04:54 PM
fbloogyudsr

"Mistyloowho" > wrote

Old January 5th 05, 05:41 PM
Dave C.

> 1) shift as early as possible (use the highest gear you can)
> 2) never actually stop - treat stop signs as yields.
> 3) pick a route w/o hill starts - at your stage, in snow, you'll not be
> able
> to start on them.
> 4) don't use engine braking.
>
> Floyd

I'm with Floyd here. I'd add, don't use 1st gear at all. Keep your engine
RPMs as low as possible without stalling. At first, I thought number 4 was
bad advice. But for a newbie, ummm . . . yeah, engine braking might be a
bad idea at this point. As you get more experienced, you will like the
manual (as opposed to an automatic) in snow/ice, for several reasons. But
we just won't go there right now. -Dave

Old January 5th 05, 05:41 PM
Dave C.

Old January 5th 05, 06:25 PM
Mistyloowho

Thanks!! Wish me luck, its not just a manual, its a chevy cavalier...I
have been told those suck even more in the snow!

Old January 5th 05, 06:25 PM
Mistyloowho

Old January 6th 05, 07:27 PM
Motorhead Lawyer

fbloogyudsr wrote:
> "Mistyloowho" > wrote
> > HELP! I have been driving a standard now for about...ohhh, 2 days

and it
> > is snowing out while I am at work. Supposed to be a nightmare

commute in
> > the morning and I cannot miss work. I am nervous. I am still

working on
> > the hill-starts and have only stalled about 3-4 times but still

working on
> > going after a full start. I am very concerned about driving a

manual in
> > the snow and ice tomorrow, its supposed to be very slippery. Any

advice
> > from you manual drivers for a newbie??

> 1) shift as early as possible (use the highest gear you can)

And do it slowly, deliberately, and gently.

> 2) never actually stop - treat stop signs as yields.

Unless there's somebody watching. Oh; waitaminnit; you're in
Massachusetts? Forget it. And Floyd, what's the matter with you?
Don't you know *nobody* stops for stop signs in MA?

> 3) pick a route w/o hill starts - at your stage, in snow, you'll not

be able
> to start on them.

Actually, she may well be able to do so. For sure she isn't likely to
stall the car because the wheels will slip instead of stalling the car.
This could be the learning experience she needs.

> 4) don't use engine braking.

I'd agree for RWD, but disagree on a FWD car. This will promote some
understeer, which is controllable by declutching or overbraking the
rear. Another valuable skill to learn at low speeds.

It also presents the opportunity to learn how to develop controllable
*oversteer* with either left foot braking or handbraking. IOW, Misty,
if you can find a big open space like a parking lot, go mess around
with the car. Start making a turn at slightly too fast a speed and
then try using the handbrake to throw the rear end around where you
want it (Plus, it's about the only way to do 'donuts' in a Cavalier!).
Also try turning while going a bit too fast - to feel the front end
slide. Then, without lifting off the throttle, gently apply the brake
with your left foot to see what happens. Above all, *DON'T PANIC* when
your car slides. Sliding is your friend. Just learn how it can be as
helpful as it is treacherous.
--
C.R. Krieger
(Slip-sliding away ...)

Subject: Traffic School - online traffic school experience response [email protected] Corvette 0 October 9th 04 05:56 PM
Shop manual price Black Bomb Corvette 1 August 11th 04 03:27 PM
Workshop manual Spider series 4 Alfaspider Alfa Romeo 0 June 17th 04 10:27 PM
grrrr this is driving me insane here chatterx Dodge 6 May 26th 04 03:23 PM