The need for a decent wiring diagram

Old November 26th 04, 07:08 AM
Chuck Townsley

Default The need for a decent wiring diagram

Folks,
without calling the Bentley book ugly, because it has been great up to
this point, does anyone have a decent set of schematic electrical
drawings (wiring diagrams) for the 1977 Type 2 Bus? The ones in the
book are not clear, and in many cases just not accurate.
While I am not an expert, I am in fact very used to reading wiring
diagrams for other vehicles. Even with my knowledge (limited though
it is), these drawings have done nothing but frustrated me to the
point of literally being forced to follow the wires from beginning to
end point to make sure they did what I thought they did. But my main
concern is with the modules that can be found here and there, and just
what their functions are when diagnosing problems.

Any help would be appriciated.
Chuck
Old November 26th 04, 07:11 AM
Jan Andersson

Chuck Townsley wrote:

> Folks,
> without calling the Bentley book ugly, because it has been great up to
> this point, does anyone have a decent set of schematic electrical
> drawings (wiring diagrams) for the 1977 Type 2 Bus? The ones in the
> book are not clear, and in many cases just not accurate.
> While I am not an expert, I am in fact very used to reading wiring
> diagrams for other vehicles. Even with my knowledge (limited though
> it is), these drawings have done nothing but frustrated me to the
> point of literally being forced to follow the wires from beginning to
> end point to make sure they did what I thought they did. But my main
> concern is with the modules that can be found here and there, and just
> what their functions are when diagnosing problems.
>
> Any help would be appriciated.
> Chuck

http://www.vintagebus.com/wiring/index.html

Jan
Old November 26th 04, 08:54 PM
Speedy Jim

Chuck Townsley wrote:

> Folks,
> without calling the Bentley book ugly, because it has been great up to
> this point, does anyone have a decent set of schematic electrical
> drawings (wiring diagrams) for the 1977 Type 2 Bus? The ones in the
> book are not clear, and in many cases just not accurate.
> While I am not an expert, I am in fact very used to reading wiring
> diagrams for other vehicles. Even with my knowledge (limited though
> it is), these drawings have done nothing but frustrated me to the
> point of literally being forced to follow the wires from beginning to
> end point to make sure they did what I thought they did. But my main
> concern is with the modules that can be found here and there, and just
> what their functions are when diagnosing problems.
>
> Any help would be appriciated.
> Chuck

Not flaming in any way, but I have found the Bentley diagrams
for Buses to be very accurate.

Yes, they take some getting used to because they are functional
"ladder" diagrams rather than wiring layout diagrams.
But for circuit tracing in trouble shooting, the ladder type is
far easier to use since all the components of a particluar circuit are
for the most part in a straight line.

I don't know of any other diagrams for the late Buses, so spend a
little time getting familiar with the conventions used.

If it helps, there is a simplified diagram of the Fuel Injection
circuitry on my web site. I think I've made it a bit easier to
understand than the one in Bentley <pats self on back>.

Speedy Jim
http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/
Old November 27th 04, 04:53 AM
ilambert

I have also found Bently's to be helpful.The ones in color are SO much
easier though.There are also several on the Web.Anyone have a favorite?

Old November 27th 04, 05:53 AM
Chuck Townsley

Speedy Jim > wrote in message >...
> Chuck Townsley wrote:
>
> > Folks,
> > without calling the Bentley book ugly, because it has been great up to
> > this point, does anyone have a decent set of schematic electrical
> > drawings (wiring diagrams) for the 1977 Type 2 Bus? The ones in the
> > book are not clear, and in many cases just not accurate.
> > While I am not an expert, I am in fact very used to reading wiring
> > diagrams for other vehicles. Even with my knowledge (limited though
> > it is), these drawings have done nothing but frustrated me to the
> > point of literally being forced to follow the wires from beginning to
> > end point to make sure they did what I thought they did. But my main
> > concern is with the modules that can be found here and there, and just
> > what their functions are when diagnosing problems.
> >
> > Any help would be appriciated.
> > Chuck

> Not flaming in any way, but I have found the Bentley diagrams
> for Buses to be very accurate.
>
> Yes, they take some getting used to because they are functional
> "ladder" diagrams rather than wiring layout diagrams.
> But for circuit tracing in trouble shooting, the ladder type is
> far easier to use since all the components of a particluar circuit are
> for the most part in a straight line.
>
> I don't know of any other diagrams for the late Buses, so spend a
> little time getting familiar with the conventions used.
>
> If it helps, there is a simplified diagram of the Fuel Injection
> circuitry on my web site. I think I've made it a bit easier to
> understand than the one in Bentley <pats self on back>.
>
> Speedy Jim
> http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/

Jim, et al,
I take my hat off to you, you should have flamed me. I did figure out
why I was struggling so much. My van was at one time powered off of
an electric motor and batteries. With the retro fit of a bug engine,
the person who completed this task, simply cut wires not needed back
in the engine compartment, and used others for such things as the
ignition system.

So when I recognized this today by checking continuity of all the
wires behind the instrument panel to see just where their destination
was. It made things much easier. Many where just cut and others were
hijacked for other purposes as I stated before.

So from here, I am going to photo copy the latter diagrams in the book
and restate the colors of the wires etc... The frustating thing was
that some of the rungs were correct and others made no since what so
ever when I was matching colors of the wires, etc...

Thanks for the help...
Chuck
Old November 27th 04, 04:39 PM
jjs

Just a tip to those who haven't learned the hard way: Not all auto wiring
should be soldered. They guy who did a total (creative) rewire of my kit car
was so proud he soldered every single connection I didn't have the heart to
tell him when a couple snapped due to vibration.

Old November 27th 04, 05:15 PM
Mike64Bug

If done properly there shouldn't be a problem with soldering any of the connections on an ACVW. Most people just grab
one of those big 'ol soldering guns and weld away. I've been precision soldering for over twenty years and wouldn't
hesitate to solder any connections on my vw. However, most people aren't properly equipped nor do they have the
experience. Long leads that don't have much support close by such as those on the starter or generator might better be
left alone. Cut off the old connector and crimp on a new. Wires on the fuse panel and instruments would be fine since
they don't move. You also don't want to try to solder any of the existing (old) connections. If they're causing
trouble because they're corroded you'll never get them to take solder anyway.

Old November 27th 04, 05:36 PM
jjs

"Mike64Bug" > wrote in message
ink.net...
> If done properly there shouldn't be a problem with soldering any of the
> connections on an ACVW.
> [...]

I agree with the caveats. In this case it was wiring to instruments where
the wiring was at right-angles to the board and the wire wasn't supported
well. I wrapped the bundles and tied them to the bulkhead to solve the
problem.

Looking for wiring Diagram for '96 GC..... Ed Wojciechowski Jeep 0 December 9th 04 03:10 PM
Jeep Liberty wiring diagram? Electrician Jeep 1 December 7th 04 09:12 PM
need a wiring diagram Angie Dodge 0 June 17th 04 03:06 PM
Alfa 164 workshop manual or wiring diagram Emjay Alfa Romeo 1 May 12th 04 06:53 PM