Audi TT Quattro Steering Wheel Vibration at 70 - 85mph

Old August 28th 04, 06:57 PM
Mick

Default Audi TT Quattro Steering Wheel Vibration at 70 - 85mph

Hi,

When I first felt this I thought it would be down to the wheels not being
balanced correctly, but I know this is normally at 50 - 60 and goes when
reaching 70mph. I've never owned a 4x4 so is it at 70 - 85? or is something
else completley wrong with the car?

TIA,

gbnews

Old August 28th 04, 08:13 PM
Tonka

"Mick" > wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> When I first felt this I thought it would be down to the wheels not being
> balanced correctly, but I know this is normally at 50 - 60 and goes when
> reaching 70mph. I've never owned a 4x4 so is it at 70 - 85? or is

something
> else completley wrong with the car?
>
> TIA,
>
> gbnews

check that all tyre pressures are correct.

Old August 29th 04, 11:57 PM

check tire balance.
Out of balance tier vibration never goes away at higher speeds, it
just gets into a "phase synchronization" (it gets hidden)
I had a vibration at 70+ and brought it back to the dealer who said
that they can't/will not test the car at over the speed limit. (55 in
my area of New Jersey). I told then to balance the tires anyhow, I
would pay for it. (still under warranty). they said thay balanced
them, didn't charge me ( as a courtesy). The vibration was sitll
there, but not as bad. I brought it to my old mechanic, he said 3 of
the 4 were out of balance, he re-balanced them, It has been perfect
since.
'01 A6 quatro, pre-owned certified?.
Love the car, (am radio reception stinks.)
Frank

Old August 30th 04, 01:28 PM
Hairy One Kenobi

"Mick" > wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> When I first felt this I thought it would be down to the wheels not being
> balanced correctly, but I know this is normally at 50 - 60 and goes when
> reaching 70mph. I've never owned a 4x4 so is it at 70 - 85? or is

something
> else completley wrong with the car?

Unbalanced wheels can give a resonance at *any* speed.

--

Hairy One Kenobi

in the first place. So there!

Old August 31st 04, 02:51 AM
Lee Jordan

I had the same problem last year on my TT. Had the tires balanced twice
by large tire shops & still had the problem. Then, while getting my
inspection sticker at a small country gas station, I askd about having
the tires balanced. The did & I haven't had a problem in a year.

Old September 6th 04, 09:55 PM
+ Rob +

"Mick" > wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> When I first felt this I thought it would be down to the wheels not being
> balanced correctly, but I know this is normally at 50 - 60 and goes when
> reaching 70mph. I've never owned a 4x4 so is it at 70 - 85? or is

something
> else completley wrong with the car?

It's most likely what everyone else is saying: a wheel/tire balance
issue. However, it could be the tires themselves if you happen to be running
a particular set of popular replacements.
I was just in the market for TT tires last week, and numerous sources
(tirerack.com, local shops, etc.) told me that there's an ongoing issue with
Continental ContiExtremeContact tires being manufactured "out of round" - a
condition in which a tire is, like it sounds, inately unbalanced and
unbalancable. Thus, if these are what you're running on the car, you may
want to get that checked out first, before wasting time and money having a
remedy applied which won't accomplish anything.

Rob
2002 A4 3.0Q
2005 TT 3.2 DSG (picking it up this Wednesday!)

Old September 7th 04, 12:07 AM
gbnews

>> Hi,
>>
>> When I first felt this I thought it would be down to the wheels not
>> being balanced correctly, but I know this is normally at 50 - 60 and
>> goes when reaching 70mph. I've never owned a 4x4 so is it at 70 -
>> 85? or is something else completley wrong with the car?

> It's most likely what everyone else is saying: a wheel/tire balance
> issue. However, it could be the tires themselves if you happen to be
> running a particular set of popular replacements.
> I was just in the market for TT tires last week, and numerous
> sources (tirerack.com, local shops, etc.) told me that there's an
> ongoing issue with Continental ContiExtremeContact tires being
> manufactured "out of round" - a condition in which a tire is, like it
> sounds, inately unbalanced and unbalancable. Thus, if these are what
> you're running on the car, you may want to get that checked out
> first, before wasting time and money having a remedy applied which
> won't accomplish anything.
>
> Rob
> 2002 A4 3.0Q
> 2005 TT 3.2 DSG (picking it up this Wednesday!)

Thanks for the reply Rob. I'm running Michellins. Got the front two
balanced, everything now okay! Thanks to everyone who replied.

--
gbnews )

Old September 15th 04, 10:03 PM
Dave Sparrow

Rob,
I'd really appreciate it if you could write up a quick report on what you
think of your DSG after having it for a couple of weeks or so.
Cheers,
Dave.

ink.net...