Mail order tires

Old October 11th 04, 08:14 PM
MAT

Default Mail order tires

How easy is mail order tire packaging? Is it one big box or what? I'm just
wondering if it's feasible to be left on a small suburban porch. Do they
usually need a signature for delivery? I work normal hours and need to
figure out the logistics. I am interested in getting Falken (195.60.15)
tires and the best price I've found on the 'Net are 186 shipped. I called
Wallyworld and they DO install ANY tire for about 3 + 2 valve stem, so about
20 bux for installation. I am really compelled to get decent new tires
(Consumer Reports pick?) for 206 OTD. So today I went to Sears, the only
'authorized' Falken dealer in Northern VA. apparently. I tried to negotiate
the shipped price but the kid and his manager snorted at the price and were
rather indignant after seeing the price and could not match it, then refused
to look at me and my printout afterwords, heh. So how are 4 mail order
tires packaged, thanks.

Old October 11th 04, 11:17 PM

MAT > wrote:
> How easy is mail order tire packaging? Is it one big box or what? I'm just
> wondering if it's feasible to be left on a small suburban porch. Do they

I noticed a tire sitting on the neighbor's porch one day. It was a single
tire, wrapped in clear wrap with carboard on both sides covering the
"hole". Since it was sitting on the porch, I guess there was no signature
required. Why don't you ask?

The little tire outfit that I buy from will order any tire I want.
They asked what I had paid the last time, and matched that price.

--
---

Old October 12th 04, 12:01 PM
Gordon McGrew

On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 15:14:17 -0400, "MAT"
> wrote:

>How easy is mail order tire packaging? Is it one big box or what? I'm just
>wondering if it's feasible to be left on a small suburban porch. Do they
>usually need a signature for delivery? I work normal hours and need to
>figure out the logistics. I am interested in getting Falken (195.60.15)
>tires and the best price I've found on the 'Net are 186 shipped. I called
>Wallyworld and they DO install ANY tire for about 3 + 2 valve stem, so about
>20 bux for installation. I am really compelled to get decent new tires
>(Consumer Reports pick?) for 206 OTD. So today I went to Sears, the only
>'authorized' Falken dealer in Northern VA. apparently. I tried to negotiate
>the shipped price but the kid and his manager snorted at the price and were
>rather indignant after seeing the price and could not match it, then refused
>to look at me and my printout afterwords, heh. So how are 4 mail order
>tires packaged, thanks.

I get a lot of mail order tires. In my experience they are shipped
with just shrink wrap bundled in groups of two or four. If you can
fit four tires on your porch, you are in business. No signature and
my UPS guy just leaves them but your neighborhood and your delivery
guy will determine if you can do that.

Old October 13th 04, 10:08 PM
JM

"MAT" > wrote in message >...
> How easy is mail order tire packaging? Is it one big box or what? I'm just
> wondering if it's feasible to be left on a small suburban porch. Do they
> usually need a signature for delivery? I work normal hours and need to
> figure out the logistics. I am interested in getting Falken (195.60.15)
> tires and the best price I've found on the 'Net are 186 shipped. I called
> Wallyworld and they DO install ANY tire for about 3 + 2 valve stem, so about
> 20 bux for installation. I am really compelled to get decent new tires
> (Consumer Reports pick?) for 206 OTD. So today I went to Sears, the only
> 'authorized' Falken dealer in Northern VA. apparently. I tried to negotiate
> the shipped price but the kid and his manager snorted at the price and were
> rather indignant after seeing the price and could not match it, then refused
> to look at me and my printout afterwords, heh. So how are 4 mail order
> tires packaged, thanks.

Don't expect them to be wrapped up, they may just put two tires
together with nylon ties, and ship two packages that way. I've asked
(note on the front door) the UPS guy to throw them over the fence
before, and he did.

UPS is variable about just what they do. If your neighborhood has
generated many theft complaints, they may require a signature.

JM
Old October 15th 04, 01:25 AM
MAT

> Don't expect them to be wrapped up, they may just put two tires
> together with nylon ties, and ship two packages that way. I've asked
> (note on the front door) the UPS guy to throw them over the fence
> before, and he did.
>
> UPS is variable about just what they do. If your neighborhood has
> generated many theft complaints, they may require a signature.

Tires were left on the porch without incident, unwrapped 2 bundles of 2
bound by plastic banding with addresses taped to each tire one including an
invoice. What a bargain!