[Slightly OT] Aquarium filters - alternative use?

Old December 1st 03, 05:02 PM
Flash Wilson

Default [Slightly OT] Aquarium filters - alternative use?

Ello.

I was reading a book about how to survive in the event of a
modern war with either a nuclear or chemical element.

It describes gas mask filters as being a layer of filter wool,
then a layer of activated carbon pieces, but regrets the fact
that in the UK at the time it was written (1980) it was hard
for members of the public to buy gasmasks during peacetime.

Something went "aha!" in my head, and I pondered whether I could
make some kind of mask with spares from my filter.

And then it went on about the water supply being contaminated,
and how you would have to filter through activated carbon in order
to remove harmful chemicals and be sure you could use it. And
again I thought "Aha!".

Now, I appreciate that 1) I'd inhale lots of poison gas while
getting the sticky tape out to make my mask, and 2) filters wouldn't
protect against fallout in the water, etc etc, so obviously this
is a slightly unrealistic question. But do you think there is
any mileage in this idea, or any other uses for aquarium equipment
(such as a way to heat water or the shelter) in these circumstances?

Would aquarium water be safe to drink in the absense of any
known good water supply?

Diving supplies would also be ideal as they are airtight and
wash down easily, but I'm only thinking of domestic aquatic supplies.

Not that I'm expecting war, the book just made me wonder!

--
Flash Wilson
Looking for a UNIX/Apache Sysadmin, or help with your website?
Old December 2nd 03, 04:08 PM
Donald Kerns

Flash Wilson wrote:

Something went "aha!" in my head, and I pondered whether I could
make some kind of mask with spares from my filter.

Wouldn't want to try it in an _improvised_ mask. Many of those agents
can also act via skin contact. However, activated charcoal MIGHT be
useful in a shelter filter.
http://www.oism.org/nwss/s73p917.htm

See also "Pulling Through" by Dean Ing

So, in theory, maybe... in actuality...

Remove all sharp objects from your pockets...

And then it went on about the water supply being contaminated,
and how you would have to filter through activated carbon in order
to remove harmful chemicals and be sure you could use it. And
again I thought "Aha!".

Now, I appreciate that 1) I'd inhale lots of poison gas while
getting the sticky tape out to make my mask, and 2) filters wouldn't
protect against fallout in the water, etc etc, so obviously this
is a slightly unrealistic question. But do you think there is
any mileage in this idea, or any other uses for aquarium equipment
(such as a way to heat water or the shelter) in these circumstances?

Would aquarium water be safe to drink in the absense of any
known good water supply?

Yes, but I'd boil it first.

Diving supplies would also be ideal as they are airtight and
wash down easily, but I'm only thinking of domestic aquatic supplies.

Not that I'm expecting war, the book just made me wonder!

Um... misc.survivalism meets rec.aquaria?

http://www.survivalistbooks.com/faq/waterfaq.htm
Under activated charcoal.
http://www.baproducts.com/rainwatr.htm

In Lucifer's Hammer by Larry Niven there is a scene where they are
eating goldfish that they've caught in a natural waterway. Seems they
all got loose during the comet strike and ensueing earthquakes.

Tell ya what... In the true spirit of aquaria and emergency
preparedness... Every man, woman and child should have at least a six
gallon freshwater aquarium!!! (2 gallons/day * 3 days).

-D
--
"When you've lost your ability to laugh, you've lost your ability to
think straight." -To Inherit the Wind
Old December 2nd 03, 05:38 PM
Flash Wilson

On Tue, 02 Dec 2003 08:08:29 -0800, Donald Kerns
wrote:
Wouldn't want to try it in an _improvised_ mask. Many of those agents
Not that I'm expecting war, the book just made me wonder!

Um... misc.survivalism meets rec.aquaria?

Heh, maybe.

Thanks for the links, I'll go a-reading!

In Lucifer's Hammer by Larry Niven there is a scene where they are
eating goldfish that they've caught in a natural waterway. Seems they
all got loose during the comet strike and ensueing earthquakes.

Comet strike... as in comet goldfish?!

Tell ya what... In the true spirit of aquaria and emergency
preparedness... Every man, woman and child should have at least a six
gallon freshwater aquarium!!! (2 gallons/day * 3 days).

Great idea! *grin*

It's the sort of thing the government might suggest if they heard(!)

--
Flash Wilson
-=-=-=-=-=-=-"Problems do have solutions you know"-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Old December 2nd 03, 07:25 PM
~Vicki ~

Hummmm......food for thought

Vicki

Old December 3rd 03, 07:18 AM
Donald Kerns

Flash Wilson wrote:

In Lucifer's Hammer by Larry Niven there is a scene where they are
eating goldfish that they've caught in a natural waterway. Seems they
all got loose during the comet strike and ensueing earthquakes.

Comet strike... as in comet goldfish?!

No, no, no, as in large solar-orbiting chunk of ice and rock. ;-)

Goldfish did start out as a domestic food stuff all those years ago...

-Donald
Old December 4th 03, 11:38 PM
Maggie Davey

Donald Kerns wrote:

Flash Wilson wrote:
Would aquarium water be safe to drink in the absense of any
known good water supply?

Yes, but I'd boil it first.

It would probably be a good idea to strain it through paper coffee
filters - to remove unwanted undissolved organic compounds

Maggie

--
"I have never let my schooling interfere with my education." - Mark
Twain