Visit to the Ford Dealer

Old July 16th 06, 12:43 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Mort Guffman

Default Visit to the Ford Dealer

I was having some work done on my car so I walked around the Ford
dealership looking at cars.

A salesman greeted me. I asked if they had and new GT500's yet. He
said no, but they were getting four. He said it looked like they would
sell for MSRP + 25K, around $70K.

I wonder what they will be going for in a year?

I told him I'd certainly be looking at a Corvette for that kind of
money and he agreed.

They had quite a few nice GT coupes. A real nice black 06 GT Premium
5-speed on sale for $26,700.

Mort
98 Cobra (Still!)

Old July 16th 06, 05:27 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Michael Johnson, PE

Wait it out. Right now the dealers are busy reeling it the idiots with
more money than sense. It will continue for another 6-12 months IMO.

Old July 16th 06, 11:44 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Itsfrom Click

in what they'll be going for in a year....SWEET REVENGE

tried ordering an '05 GT convert from my local dealer starting 1 1/2
years ago.......at first, he wanted $5800 over sticker.....lowest he
ever got was $3000 over.

so, I finally went to an out-of-town dealer and ordered an '06 for
$3000 under sticker (which was a good price at the time). car came in
Feb.

and NOW my local dealer calls and wants to deal........that was a fun
coversation.

doubt if 500s will ever be bargains, but as gas goes up and Ford goes
down, dealers are gonna feel the pinch. let them each cake (or
something)

Old July 16th 06, 12:57 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
karinhall

"Itsfrom Click" > wrote in message ...

> in what they'll be going for in a year....SWEET REVENGE
>
> tried ordering an '05 GT convert from my local dealer starting 1 1/2
> years ago.......at first, he wanted $5800 over sticker.....lowest he
> ever got was $3000 over.
>
> so, I finally went to an out-of-town dealer and ordered an '06 for
> $3000 under sticker (which was a good price at the time). car came in
> Feb.
>
> and NOW my local dealer calls and wants to deal........that was a fun
> coversation.
>
> doubt if 500s will ever be bargains, but as gas goes up and Ford goes
> down, dealers are gonna feel the pinch. let them each cake (or
> something)

Uh, that's "eat cake"! :-)
Old July 16th 06, 02:18 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Itsfrom Click

right, let them eat cake (or something).

Old July 16th 06, 02:53 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Joe[_1_]

"Michael Johnson, PE" > wrote in
:

> Wait it out. Right now the dealers are busy reeling it the idiots

with
> more money than sense. It will continue for another 6-12 months IMO.

That is, if Ford's still making them at that point...

Joe
Calypso Green '93 5.0 LX AOD hatch with a few goodies
Black '03 Dakota 5.9 R/T CC

Old July 16th 06, 04:36 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
John C.

"Mort Guffman" > wrote in message
> I was having some work done on my car so I walked around the Ford
> dealership looking at cars.
>
> A salesman greeted me. I asked if they had and new GT500's yet. He
> said no, but they were getting four. He said it looked like they would
> sell for MSRP + 25K, around $70K.

Ouch!

Yep, I'm certain some dealerships will be trying to squeeze every penny out
of their first GT500s. It's unfortunate, but in a case like this, the
suckers are the ones who will determine the market.

I saw my first one at a car show at a dealership in Ipswich, MA on friday.
NICE! Black hardtop with the stripe delete. It looked absolutely evil.

Spoke with the owner, he special ordered it in NH before pricing was even
announced, negotiating the price to 5k over invoice. That's pretty
encouraging, IMO.
--
John C. (wants a GT500 bad,..but not *that* bad)
'03 Cobra Convt.

Old July 16th 06, 06:51 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Michael Johnson, PE

Joe wrote:
> "Michael Johnson, PE" > wrote in
> :
>
>> Wait it out. Right now the dealers are busy reeling it the idiots

> with
>> more money than sense. It will continue for another 6-12 months IMO.

> That is, if Ford's still making them at that point...

I think they will because even at MSRP they are making a killing off the
car. EVERYTHING on it is either low tech or already developed under
existing models. That includes the heads, blower, intercooler and even
the rear end is a low cost easy to install solid axle. I bet the GT500
doesn't cost hardly any more than the last Cobra to build since they
dropped the IRS. I think Ford sees the GT500 as just another Cobra
offering with Carrol Shelby's name slapped on it. In fact, that is
probably where the extra cost is from over the last Cobra.

Plus, with the GT going out of production they need a high performance
model of some sort and the GT500 is all they have for the foreseeable
future. Anyway, I WILL NOT pay more than $45k-$50k for a loaded
convertible GT500. It just won't happen. There are too many better
convertibles in the $50k-$65k price range that weigh far less. In fact,
Ford advertises "Bold Moves" so why don't they do a "bold move"
themselves and sell the damn car for the advertised price.

Old July 16th 06, 10:16 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
My Names Nobody

"Michael Johnson, PE" > wrote in message
> Joe wrote:
>> "Michael Johnson, PE" > wrote in
>> :
>>
>>> Wait it out. Right now the dealers are busy reeling it the idiots

>> with
>>> more money than sense. It will continue for another 6-12 months IMO.

>> That is, if Ford's still making them at that point...

> I think they will because even at MSRP they are making a killing off the
> car. EVERYTHING on it is either low tech or already developed under
> existing models. That includes the heads, blower, intercooler and even
> the rear end is a low cost easy to install solid axle. I bet the GT500
> doesn't cost hardly any more than the last Cobra to build since they
> dropped the IRS. I think Ford sees the GT500 as just another Cobra
> offering with Carrol Shelby's name slapped on it. In fact, that is
> probably where the extra cost is from over the last Cobra.
>
> Plus, with the GT going out of production they need a high performance
> model of some sort and the GT500 is all they have for the foreseeable
> future. Anyway, I WILL NOT pay more than $45k-$50k for a loaded
> convertible GT500. It just won't happen. There are too many better
> convertibles in the $50k-$65k price range that weigh far less. In fact,
> Ford advertises "Bold Moves" so why don't they do a "bold move" themselves
> and sell the damn car for the advertised price.

If they would sell them at MSRP I would buy one yesterday. If they insist
on allowing their stealership network to continue gouging their customers,
this life long Ford guy (I bleed Ford Blue) will be driving a Z06 Coverlet
Corvette instead of a Ford Mustang GT500.

Old July 16th 06, 11:12 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Michael Johnson, PE

My Names Nobody wrote:
> "Michael Johnson, PE" > wrote in message
>> Joe wrote:
>>> "Michael Johnson, PE" > wrote in
>>> :

>>> with
>>> That is, if Ford's still making them at that point...

>> I think they will because even at MSRP they are making a killing off the
>> car. EVERYTHING on it is either low tech or already developed under
>> existing models. That includes the heads, blower, intercooler and even
>> the rear end is a low cost easy to install solid axle. I bet the GT500
>> doesn't cost hardly any more than the last Cobra to build since they
>> dropped the IRS. I think Ford sees the GT500 as just another Cobra
>> offering with Carrol Shelby's name slapped on it. In fact, that is
>> probably where the extra cost is from over the last Cobra.
>>
>> Plus, with the GT going out of production they need a high performance
>> model of some sort and the GT500 is all they have for the foreseeable
>> future. Anyway, I WILL NOT pay more than $45k-$50k for a loaded
>> convertible GT500. It just won't happen. There are too many better
>> convertibles in the $50k-$65k price range that weigh far less. In fact,
>> Ford advertises "Bold Moves" so why don't they do a "bold move" themselves
>> and sell the damn car for the advertised price.
>>

> If they would sell them at MSRP I would buy one yesterday. If they insist
> on allowing their stealership network to continue gouging their customers,
> this life long Ford guy (I bleed Ford Blue) will be driving a Z06 Coverlet
> Corvette instead of a Ford Mustang GT500.

The dealers are just out to fleece those first buyers that are too dumb
to wait for the price to drop. I too am a loyal Ford customer but I
won't be gouged of a GT500. There are too many cars that are better
this it for $50k+. The price will drop if they build as many of them as
they have said. My real gripe with Ford will be if they don't build the
stated quantity. If they do and there are enough buyers to keep the
price up then I guess it is just a popular car. I think they have made
the three year production run high enough to drop the price - so far so
good. If they go back on their word to us loyal Mustang buyers then I
may be done with Ford for good.