Leaking something pink and oily----2k a4 1.8

Old May 29th 06, 12:10 AM posted to alt.autos.audi

Default Leaking something pink and oily----2k a4 1.8

Ok, help. Something pink and oily feeling leaking down the engine
compartment, hitting the plastic skid-pad, moving and dripping out the
front.

I may have had this issue once before, and solved it by the mechanic
tightening a bolt that looked like it was encrusted in pink crusty stuff.

What could possibly be leaking out from my car. It doesn't feel like
coolant---coolant feels more like water than oil, and this stuff feels like
oil, but is pink.

HERE IS THE RUB: I've been trying to chase down an A/C problem. At the
dealership, the A/C system is showing that it is holding the pressure, but
it comes out weak shortly afterward. They have put in die in it, but cannot
"find" it yet. Further, this pink stuff only showed up in my driveway when
the A/C was just run for 40 minutes or so, which it hadn't been done till
now.

Confusing set of variables, I know, but this sudden leak coincided with the
use of the A/C system for essentially the first extended time since it was
refilled a couple of weeks ago.

--
Everythinginlifeisrealative.Apingpongballseemssmal luntilsomeoneramsitupyournose.

Old May 29th 06, 02:14 AM posted to alt.autos.audi

The dye for finding AC leaks is usually red. Combine that with AC compressor oil
and it sounds like your problem. If they haven't found the leak yet tell them to
look at the compressor and its connections.

If you have lost that much oil in the AC system I wouldn't run it any more until
the leak is fixed and the system is refilled. Running low on oil could trash
you ac compressor.

Old May 29th 06, 02:32 AM posted to alt.autos.audi

Tony said something like:
> The dye for finding AC leaks is usually red. Combine that with AC
> compressor
> oil and it sounds like your problem. If they haven't found the leak yet
> tell
> them to look at the compressor and its connections.

Excellent! At least it's a start!

> If you have lost that much oil in the AC system I wouldn't run it any more
> until the leak is fixed and the system is refilled. Running low on oil
> could trash you ac compressor.

I was told that the dye was something that only showed up under ultraviolet
light. No?

--
Forgetthesong,I'dratherhavethefrontallobotomy...

Old May 29th 06, 05:21 AM posted to alt.autos.audi

Dye that only shows up under ultraviolet may exist but the red dye is what I am
familiar with.

Old May 29th 06, 09:38 PM posted to alt.autos.audi

> Ok, help. Something pink and oily feeling leaking down the engine
> compartment, hitting the plastic skid-pad, moving and dripping out the
> front.

That's G12 coolant.
Feels very "slippery" and leaves pink crusts when it dries.

Rgds

Old May 29th 06, 11:20 PM posted to alt.autos.audi

Alec said something like:
>> Ok, help. Something pink and oily feeling leaking down the engine
>> compartment, hitting the plastic skid-pad, moving and dripping out the
>> front.

> That's G12 coolant.
> Feels very "slippery" and leaves pink crusts when it dries.
>
> Rgds

I don't think that's it, or at least *all* of it. I tested the coolant
mixture right away with a different finger and it feels more like water
does. The thing I'm talking about feels like a pink colored motor oil.

If it is coolant, then I need to know where the oily feel comes from:
perhaps it's because it dripped onto that plastic skid-pad thing first and
hit the residual oil there before dripping down to the pavement. Or perhaps
it picked up the oil from whatever it hit on the way down.

--
"His name was Robert Paulson. His name was Robert Paulson. His name was
Robert

Old May 30th 06, 01:31 AM posted to alt.autos.audi

On Mon, 29 May 2006 22:20:25 GMT, "Thomas G. Marshall"
. com> wrote:

>Alec said something like:
>>> Ok, help. Something pink and oily feeling leaking down the engine
>>> compartment, hitting the plastic skid-pad, moving and dripping out the
>>> front.

>> That's G12 coolant.
>> Feels very "slippery" and leaves pink crusts when it dries.
>>
>> Rgds

>I don't think that's it, or at least *all* of it. I tested the coolant
>mixture right away with a different finger and it feels more like water
>does. The thing I'm talking about feels like a pink colored motor oil.
>
>If it is coolant, then I need to know where the oily feel comes from:
>perhaps it's because it dripped onto that plastic skid-pad thing first and
>hit the residual oil there before dripping down to the pavement. Or perhaps
>it picked up the oil from whatever it hit on the way down.

Try burning some of what you found on the top of the underbody tray...
Old May 30th 06, 03:47 PM posted to alt.autos.audi

> Ok, help. Something pink and oily feeling leaking down the engine
> compartment, hitting the plastic skid-pad, moving and dripping out the
> front.
>
> I may have had this issue once before, and solved it by the mechanic
> tightening a bolt that looked like it was encrusted in pink crusty stuff.
>
> What could possibly be leaking out from my car. It doesn't feel like
> coolant---coolant feels more like water than oil, and this stuff feels
> like oil, but is pink.
>
> HERE IS THE RUB: I've been trying to chase down an A/C problem. At the
> dealership, the A/C system is showing that it is holding the pressure, but
> it comes out weak shortly afterward. They have put in die in it, but
> cannot "find" it yet. Further, this pink stuff only showed up in my
> driveway when the A/C was just run for 40 minutes or so, which it hadn't
> been done till now.
>
> Confusing set of variables, I know, but this sudden leak coincided with
> the use of the A/C system for essentially the first extended time since it
> was refilled a couple of weeks ago.

If it isn't anything that's been suggested already then check your engine
mountings. I seem to remember that they are full of some kind of pink-ish
gunk & they are not imune from splitting.

I.

Old July 8th 06, 04:24 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
Thomas G. Marshall

Thomas G. Marshall said something like:
> Ok, help. Something pink and oily feeling leaking down the engine
> compartment, hitting the plastic skid-pad, moving and dripping out the
> front.
>
> I may have had this issue once before, and solved it by the mechanic
> tightening a bolt that looked like it was encrusted in pink crusty stuff.
>
> What could possibly be leaking out from my car. It doesn't feel like
> coolant---coolant feels more like water than oil, and this stuff feels
> like
> oil, but is pink.
>
> HERE IS THE RUB: I've been trying to chase down an A/C problem. At the
> dealership, the A/C system is showing that it is holding the pressure, but
> it comes out weak shortly afterward. They have put in die in it, but
> cannot
> "find" it yet. Further, this pink stuff only showed up in my driveway
> when
> the A/C was just run for 40 minutes or so, which it hadn't been done till
> now.
>
> Confusing set of variables, I know, but this sudden leak coincided with
> the
> use of the A/C system for essentially the first extended time since it was
> refilled a couple of weeks ago.

Ok, for the record, it turns out that the oily feel to it was a red herring.
The radiator actually had a leak in it, so I replaced it. Whether or not
this was exacerbated by a test drive is anyone's guess, but as with
everything car related in my life, it is likely to be a bizarre fluke.

--
Doesn't /anyone/ know where I can find a credit card company that emails me
the minute something is charged to my account?