2007 Accord Features?

Old June 28th 06, 02:51 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Default 2007 Accord Features?

jim beam wrote:
> Sparky Spartacus wrote:
> > TeGGeR® wrote:
> >
> > <snip>
> >
> >> I know it's all well-intended and all, but I find it rather alarming
> >> that a car could "phone home" whenever it wants, tattling on you.

> > This is considered malware/spyware when it's on our computers. How can
> > we know all that's being sent and what about after a couple of software
> > updates?
> >

> and we have a winner folks! sparky gets the grand prize!

While I have reservations re. OnStar and similar services as expressed
above the inevitability of these "services" in all vehicles is reality.

Old June 28th 06, 03:19 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

ACAR wrote:
> jim beam wrote:
>
>>Sparky Spartacus wrote:
>>
>>>TeGGeR® wrote:
>>>
>>><snip>

>>>This is considered malware/spyware when it's on our computers. How can
>>>we know all that's being sent and what about after a couple of software
>>>updates?
>>>

>>and we have a winner folks! sparky gets the grand prize!

> While I have reservations re. OnStar and similar services as expressed
> above the inevitability of these "services" in all vehicles is reality.

so you're inevitably willing to accept paying a monthly operations
subscription in order to drive your car? because that's the next
logical step. and built-in obsolescence? how much 10 or 20 year old
software do you run on your pc? no dude, this whole thing is way bigger
and more scary than you're admitting. bottom line, it's not inevitable
by any means if you don't buy it and endorse its use. it's not [at this
point] compulsory and will fail in the market place if it's not supported.
Old June 28th 06, 05:07 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

jim beam wrote:
> ACAR wrote:
> > jim beam wrote:

> >>and we have a winner folks! sparky gets the grand prize!

> > While I have reservations re. OnStar and similar services as expressed
> > above the inevitability of these "services" in all vehicles is reality.
> >

> so you're inevitably willing to accept paying a monthly operations
> subscription in order to drive your car? because that's the next
> logical step.

pay for radio? nah, radio is free!

When "properly" packaged and marketed the American public will buy
anything. Just my derivative of H.L. Menchen's "No one ever went broke
underestimating the taste of the American public."

Watch for insurance companies to give discounts to people with OnStar
and similar services. Perhaps that is already the case, I don't know.

Old June 28th 06, 06:01 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Thanks for the comments everyone. I am not really a big fan of OnStar,
just like that it adds safety to the vehicle along with other safety
features. About the HID system...I don't find the lights annoying if
they are REAL HID and not the fake high beam type that blind everyone.
Also I only keep my cars for 3 years and then lease a new one, so
worrying about the HID warrenty wouldnt be an issue for me.

Al

Old June 29th 06, 03:48 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:
> In article .com>,
> "Al437737" > wrote:
>

>>Also I only keep my cars for 3 years and then lease a new one,

> Which is pretty damned stupid, no matter what.

depends on your tax status. if you're self employed, you get to write
off 100% of the lease payments - that's a major disincentive to buy.
unless it's a hummer - there's a special dispensation for those.
Old June 29th 06, 04:09 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

> > Which is pretty damned stupid, no matter what.
> >

> depends on your tax status. if you're self employed, you get to write
> off 100% of the lease payments - that's a major disincentive to buy.
> unless it's a hummer - there's a special dispensation for those.

No, the reason I lease is so I can have a monthly payment for an accord
ex with all the options with no down payment for the amount of a Civic
lx with a down payment. I like all the creature comforts and the big
car feel of an accord with the payments of a civic, and this way I can
get all of that. Also I get bored easily so this way I can get a new
car every 3 years with full warenty and then trade it in and get
another brand new car, maybe something else this time, maybe a CRV,
then maybe a Pilot...

Some people spend alot of money on jewelry, furniture, clothes, and
vacations...I spend it on cars.

Old June 29th 06, 06:18 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

On 28 Jun 2006 20:28:10 -0700, "Al437737"

>> > depends on your tax status. if you're self employed, you get to write
>> > off 100% of the lease payments - that's a major disincentive to buy.
>> > unless it's a hummer - there's a special dispensation for those.

>Oh one more thing, I think leasing seems to be popular in certain
>geographical areas. For instance, I am in the North East of the US and
>it seems like everyone in my area, no matter who they are seems to
>lease cars. I am on my 4th leased car, and personally I like it alot.
>You need to have good credit and be at least 25 years old to get a
>lease, but I think its a good deal.

If you think of a car as an appliance, like a toaster or a washing
machine, leasing often makes sense. If you intend to modify the car,
then it's better to own it. When you lease a car, they expect to get
it back just like you first got it, less wear and tear. They don't
want to see special exhaust systems, manifolds, turbo-chargers,
modified suspensions, etc.
Old June 29th 06, 10:44 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

jim beam wrote:

> Sparky Spartacus wrote:
>
>> TeGGeR® wrote:
>>
>> <snip>
>>
>>> I know it's all well-intended and all, but I find it rather alarming
>>> that a car could "phone home" whenever it wants, tattling on you.

>> This is considered malware/spyware when it's on our computers. How can
>> we know all that's being sent and what about after a couple of
>> software updates?
>>

> and we have a winner folks! sparky gets the grand prize!

Thanks, JB!
Old June 29th 06, 10:46 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Al437737 wrote:

>>>Which is pretty damned stupid, no matter what.
>>>

>>depends on your tax status. if you're self employed, you get to write
>>off 100% of the lease payments - that's a major disincentive to buy.
>>unless it's a hummer - there's a special dispensation for those.

> No, the reason I lease is so I can have a monthly payment for an accord
> ex with all the options with no down payment for the amount of a Civic
> lx with a down payment. I like all the creature comforts and the big
> car feel of an accord with the payments of a civic, and this way I can
> get all of that. Also I get bored easily so this way I can get a new
> car every 3 years with full warenty and then trade it in and get
> another brand new car, maybe something else this time, maybe a CRV,
> then maybe a Pilot...
>
> Some people spend alot of money on jewelry, furniture, clothes, and
> vacations...I spend it on cars.

Hey, it's your money, so why not?

Old June 29th 06, 07:17 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

In article >, says...
>I know it's all well-intended and all, but I find it rather alarming that a
>car could "phone home" whenever it wants, tattling on you. I'd make a
>mention of Eric Arthur Blair's writings here, but I won't.
>You can, however, be 100% certain that GM would be 5,000 miles away from
>this stuff if they weren't being pushed towards it by government, tort, and
>the environut activists. When will Honda start doing this?
>I am so glad I have an ancient 1991 vehicle. Too bad the Ontario government
>is actively trying to push the old ones off the road. *******s.

Cell phones don't work without an antenna. Antenna's break all the time.
Problem fixed.
Alex