where to buy left hand thread lugs?

Old October 24th 05, 10:56 PM
N8N

Default where to buy left hand thread lugs?

Hi all,

looking to mount some wheels on my old Studebaker - they used the same
lugs as Chrysler did. (1/2-20 RH and LH.) I am using for now at least
a mix and match set of wheels, two Ford and two MoPar. Apparently the
Ford wheels used a lug nut with a 13/16" hex and I am hesitant to use
the smaller 3/4" hex Stude/MoPar lugs on them in case that might cause
a problem. In my friend's garage I found *five* chrome lug nuts,
1/2-20LH. That solved my immediate problem, but I would like to run
the same hex size on all wheels so I only have to carry one lug wrench.
I'm trying to find five more of these nuts and am coming up dry! Year
One has them for $25 for five, Summit Racing sells Gorilla lug nuts for
under $5 for four, but when I tried to order them they want to charge
me *more* in shipping and handling than they are worth! Jeg's doesn't
carry them apparently. Anyone know where I can get these for less than
an arm and a leg, or is there a parts store chain that carries Gorilla
products?

thanks!

nate

Old October 24th 05, 11:11 PM

On 24 Oct 2005 14:56:52 -0700, "N8N" > wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>looking to mount some wheels on my old Studebaker - they used the same
>lugs as Chrysler did. (1/2-20 RH and LH.) I am using for now at least
>a mix and match set of wheels, two Ford and two MoPar. Apparently the
>Ford wheels used a lug nut with a 13/16" hex and I am hesitant to use
>the smaller 3/4" hex Stude/MoPar lugs on them in case that might cause
>a problem. In my friend's garage I found *five* chrome lug nuts,
>1/2-20LH. That solved my immediate problem, but I would like to run
>the same hex size on all wheels so I only have to carry one lug wrench.
> I'm trying to find five more of these nuts and am coming up dry! Year
>One has them for $25 for five, Summit Racing sells Gorilla lug nuts for
>under $5 for four, but when I tried to order them they want to charge
>me *more* in shipping and handling than they are worth! Jeg's doesn't
>carry them apparently. Anyone know where I can get these for less than
>an arm and a leg, or is there a parts store chain that carries Gorilla
>products?
>
>thanks!
>
>nate

Do it the easy way. Press out the studs and install RH studs so you
can use standard chrome wheel nuts. Even locking nuts if you want.
Old October 25th 05, 12:01 AM
Daniel J. Stern

On Mon, 24 Oct 2005, N8N wrote:

> looking to mount some wheels on my old Studebaker - they used the same
> lugs as Chrysler did. (1/2-20 RH and LH.) I am using for now at least
> a mix and match set of wheels, two Ford and two MoPar. Apparently the
> Ford wheels used a lug nut with a 13/16" hex and I am hesitant to use
> the smaller 3/4" hex Stude/MoPar lugs on them in case that might cause
> a problem.

The hex is irrelevant; the cone dimension (where the lug nut contacts the
wheel) is what matters.

> I'm trying to find five more of these nuts and am coming up dry! Year
> One has them for $25 for five

Marked up a zillion percent. These are a perfectly standard Dorman item.
Find your local Dorman (orange drawer) stockist. 1/2"-20LH standard lug
nut, 13/16" hex, 60° seat, Zinc finish: Dorman 611-031 (matching RHthread
611-016).

If no local stockist, get them from www.rockauto.com .

DS
Old October 25th 05, 12:51 AM
N8N

Daniel J. Stern wrote:
> On Mon, 24 Oct 2005, N8N wrote:
>
> > looking to mount some wheels on my old Studebaker - they used the same
> > lugs as Chrysler did. (1/2-20 RH and LH.) I am using for now at least
> > a mix and match set of wheels, two Ford and two MoPar. Apparently the
> > Ford wheels used a lug nut with a 13/16" hex and I am hesitant to use
> > the smaller 3/4" hex Stude/MoPar lugs on them in case that might cause
> > a problem.

> The hex is irrelevant; the cone dimension (where the lug nut contacts the
> wheel) is what matters.

Yeah, I know, I guess I was skipping a few steps mentally there... but
the point is that it is the 13/16" hex ones that I want.

> > I'm trying to find five more of these nuts and am coming up dry! Year
> > One has them for $25 for five

> Marked up a zillion percent. These are a perfectly standard Dorman item.
> Find your local Dorman (orange drawer) stockist. 1/2"-20LH standard lug
> nut, 13/16" hex, 60? seat, Zinc finish: Dorman 611-031 (matching RHthread
> 611-016).
>
> If no local stockist, get them from www.rockauto.com .
>
> DS

Cool! how did you find that though? the keyword search on Dorman's
site seems to be fairly useless, although it does show me good numbers
for the 3/4" hex version when I search for my vehicle. However I did
manage to take your part number and find that it was used on old Jeeps
and IH which is good to know, it may prove useful someday. I don't
remember my dad's old Scout having LH lugs though... maybe it had
already had its first brake job before he got it?

That said, I would prefer to use something like the chromed ones that
were used for, say, Rallye wheels as I can get the RH versions all day
every day at my local Crap Boys for the same price as the factory ones
and I would prefer to use those, especially with the cop car hubcaps
which can let water in. (I don't have any hubcaps at all for the
moment, which is another good reason to use chromed ones) Having grown
up in PA, I'm just a leetle bit paranoid about things corroding. Yes,
I use stainless fasteners and anti-seize on nearly everything I touch.
I thank myself every time I have to disassemble something for the
second time I only wish the guy that had owned my car before me had
been similarly inclined - cheap, non-heat treated bolts, hot engine,
and lots of time do not make for easy disassembly. Thank goodness I
managed to save a decent set of drill bits from the scrap pile at my
last job :/

nate

Old October 25th 05, 02:15 AM
Joe Pfeiffer

"N8N" > writes:

> > >nate

> > Do it the easy way. Press out the studs and install RH studs so you
> > can use standard chrome wheel nuts. Even locking nuts if you want.

> I'm almost there, but I don't have the tools to swage the drums and
> hubs back together.

I'd take that task to a machine shop.
skype: jjpfeifferjr
Old October 25th 05, 03:04 AM
Daniel J. Stern

On Mon, 24 Oct 2005, N8N wrote:

>>> I'm trying to find five more of these nuts and am coming up dry! Year
>>> One has them for $25 for five

>> Marked up a zillion percent. These are a perfectly standard Dorman
>> item. Find your local Dorman (orange drawer) stockist. 1/2"-20LH
>> standard lug nut, 13/16" hex, 60? seat, Zinc finish: Dorman 611-031
>> (matching RHthread 611-016). If no local stockist, get them from
>> www.rockauto.com .

> Cool! how did you find that though?

Dorman catalogue on the shelf behind me.

> the keyword search on Dorman's
> site seems to be fairly useless

Dorman's entire site is useless.

Old October 25th 05, 06:47 PM
Steve

N8N wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> looking to mount some wheels on my old Studebaker - they used the same
> lugs as Chrysler did. (1/2-20 RH and LH.) I am using for now at least
> a mix and match set of wheels, two Ford and two MoPar. Apparently the
> Ford wheels used a lug nut with a 13/16" hex and I am hesitant to use
> the smaller 3/4" hex Stude/MoPar lugs on them in case that might cause
> a problem. In my friend's garage I found *five* chrome lug nuts,
> 1/2-20LH. That solved my immediate problem, but I would like to run
> the same hex size on all wheels so I only have to carry one lug wrench.
> I'm trying to find five more of these nuts and am coming up dry! Year
> One has them for $25 for five, Summit Racing sells Gorilla lug nuts for
> under $5 for four, but when I tried to order them they want to charge
> me *more* in shipping and handling than they are worth! Jeg's doesn't
> carry them apparently. Anyone know where I can get these for less than
> an arm and a leg, or is there a parts store chain that carries Gorilla
> products?

Its getting harder to find them... hence I'm gradually converting all my
Mopars to right-hand lugs and nuts :-/ Except the '49, since it uses
*bolts* not studs and nuts. Don't want to change axle hubs....

However, if you want to use left-handers, Year One has them:

http://yearone.com/serverfiles/headl...?hid=118AA5072

Old October 25th 05, 06:50 PM
Steve

Nate said:

>> Year One has them for $25 for five,

And I brilliantly responded:

> However, if you want to use left-handers, Year One has them:
>
> http://yearone.com/serverfiles/headl...?hid=118AA5072

Sometimes it doesn't pay to post until the brain wakes up....

Old October 25th 05, 08:49 PM

On 24 Oct 2005 19:15:03 -0600, Joe Pfeiffer >
wrote:

>> > Do it the easy way. Press out the studs and install RH studs so you
>> > can use standard chrome wheel nuts. Even locking nuts if you want.

>> I'm almost there, but I don't have the tools to swage the drums and
>> hubs back together.

>I'd take that task to a machine shop.

Why? I generally do it right on the car.Hammer, punch, wrench and a
few washers, a good gob of grease and a little bit of time is all it
generally takes. Change the studs one at a time.