Stupid Soft Top Question - Wrangler

Old May 14th 05, 05:46 PM
ldg

Default Stupid Soft Top Question - Wrangler

I bought a year-old wrangler a couple of weeks ago.

I've been having fun learning stick all over again, driving on roads
that aren't exactly roads anymore, and all that. The jeep is a new
toy I've been looking forward to for a while.

Then the sun came out and I decided to lower the soft top. I unzipped
the side panels, flipped a couple of latches above the window,
unscrewed a couple of round plastic gizmos on each side above the door
on the roll bar and gave the top a push. Nothing happened. Not
wanting to destroy anything important, I decided to research how I'm
actually supposed to do this procedure.

I looked for an owners manual and naturally the used jeep didn't come
with one. I've googled for hours and there doesn't seem to be an
explanation, a downloadable pdf or anything that will tell me if I've
found all the fasteners.

Anyone know?

Sorry to ask such a dumb question. :-)

Regards,
Larry
Old May 14th 05, 06:18 PM

ldg wrote:
> I bought a year-old wrangler a couple of weeks ago.
>
> I've been having fun learning stick all over again, driving on roads
> that aren't exactly roads anymore, and all that. The jeep is a new
> toy I've been looking forward to for a while.
>
> Then the sun came out and I decided to lower the soft top. I

unzipped
> the side panels, flipped a couple of latches above the window,
> unscrewed a couple of round plastic gizmos on each side above the

door
> on the roll bar and gave the top a push. Nothing happened. Not
> wanting to destroy anything important, I decided to research how I'm
> actually supposed to do this procedure.
>
> I looked for an owners manual and naturally the used jeep didn't come
> with one. I've googled for hours and there doesn't seem to be an
> explanation, a downloadable pdf or anything that will tell me if I've
> found all the fasteners.
>
> Anyone know?
>
> Sorry to ask such a dumb question. :-)
>
> Regards,
> Larry

I don't know if things have changed since I got my '99 wrangler but it
sounds like you're trying to remove the plastic knobs that hold the
side adaptor/channel thingy's. You don't want to remove those.

The paddle latches,(those latches that connect the front of the soft
top to the windshield),have a safety hook that keeps the top from
accidently flying off while driving. The latch must be flipped, then
you make sure the safety hook is free also. don't know what else could
be the problem other than the hard plastic edges of the soft top that
are 'hooked" to those side adaptors I spoke of have not been freed up.
If this is not making any sense, call a dealership or just go by and
ask somebody there.

Old May 14th 05, 07:00 PM
twaldron

The tops have edging that fits into channels on the black "boomerangs"
above the doors. Did you pull those out? The boomerangs can stay in
place. Make sure the latches are completely released, then just ease it
back.

ldg wrote:

> I bought a year-old wrangler a couple of weeks ago.
>
> I've been having fun learning stick all over again, driving on roads
> that aren't exactly roads anymore, and all that. The jeep is a new
> toy I've been looking forward to for a while.
>
> Then the sun came out and I decided to lower the soft top. I unzipped
> the side panels, flipped a couple of latches above the window,
> unscrewed a couple of round plastic gizmos on each side above the door
> on the roll bar and gave the top a push. Nothing happened. Not
> wanting to destroy anything important, I decided to research how I'm
> actually supposed to do this procedure.
>
> I looked for an owners manual and naturally the used jeep didn't come
> with one. I've googled for hours and there doesn't seem to be an
> explanation, a downloadable pdf or anything that will tell me if I've
> found all the fasteners.
>
> Anyone know?
>
> Sorry to ask such a dumb question. :-)
>
> Regards,
> Larry

tw

71 Bill Stroppe Baja Bronco
03 TJ Rubicon - Rubicon Express 4.5"
01 XJ Sport

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."
-- Dave Barry

Pronunciation: 'jEp
Function: noun
Date: 1940

Etymology: from g. p. (G= 'Government' P= '80 inch wheelbase')
A small general-purpose motor vehicle with 80-inch wheelbase,
1/4-ton capacity, and four-wheel drive used by the U.S. army in
World War II.

(Please remove the OBVIOUS to reply by email)
Old May 14th 05, 09:07 PM
Mike Romain

ldg wrote:

> On Sat, 14 May 2005 18:00:20 GMT, twaldron
> > wrote:
>
> >The tops have edging that fits into channels on the black "boomerangs"
> >above the doors. Did you pull those out? The boomerangs can stay in
> >place. Make sure the latches are completely released, then just ease it
> >back.

> Thanks.
>
> I tried to cancel the post, but I guess it didn't take. I figured
> this out earlier. I just hadn't looked on the outside of the vehicle.
>
> I also saw I didn't need to loosen the knobs on the roll bar.
>
> My wife and I drove around on some dirt roads with the top down today.
> It's almost like riding a motorcycle, except you can avoid eating bugs
> :-)
>
> We did drive past a chicken ranch though, and that was pretty
> overwhelming. Sometimes this "country air" isn't all it's cracked up
> to be. :-)
>
> Regards,
> Larry

Just wait until you take the doors off too....
:-)

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's
Old May 14th 05, 09:13 PM
ldg

Old May 14th 05, 10:10 PM
twaldron

ldg wrote:
> On Sat, 14 May 2005 18:00:20 GMT, twaldron
> > wrote:
>

>>The tops have edging that fits into channels on the black "boomerangs"
>>above the doors. Did you pull those out? The boomerangs can stay in
>>place. Make sure the latches are completely released, then just ease it
>>back.

> Thanks.
>
> I tried to cancel the post, but I guess it didn't take. I figured
> this out earlier. I just hadn't looked on the outside of the vehicle.
>
> I also saw I didn't need to loosen the knobs on the roll bar.
>
> My wife and I drove around on some dirt roads with the top down today.
> It's almost like riding a motorcycle, except you can avoid eating bugs
> :-)
>
> We did drive past a chicken ranch though, and that was pretty
> overwhelming. Sometimes this "country air" isn't all it's cracked up
> to be. :-)
>
> Regards,
> Larry

Glad you got it off. The addiction begins....

Date: 1940

Etymology: from g. p. (G= 'Government' P= '80 inch wheelbase')
A small general-purpose motor vehicle with 80-inch wheelbase,
1/4-ton capacity, and four-wheel drive used by the U.S. army in
World War II.

(Please remove the OBVIOUS to reply by email)

Stupid Battery Question JJS VW air cooled 4 May 9th 05 02:40 AM
Wrangler - Soft Top Chucky Jeep 4 March 8th 05 01:52 AM
need '95 Wrangler soft upper door Old Crow Jeep 3 March 4th 05 10:04 AM
2004 Wrangler X Wheel and Tire Question wampagoalie Jeep 10 February 17th 05 01:18 AM
Stupid question (was Changing the oil filter only) Bill F Technology 20 January 18th 05 09:57 PM