96 GM C1500 truck air filter never gets dirty

Old November 30th 08, 02:07 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
ihss

Default 96 GM C1500 truck air filter never gets dirty

I have over 100K miles on this truck and have never had to change the
air filter. There's some kind of fitting that is electronically
controlled in the path from the filter to the engine but I cannot find
it in the factory manual.

All ideas are welcome. I googled this problem with no success.

Thanks!

Regards....John
Old November 30th 08, 02:38 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
aarcuda69062

In article
ihss > wrote:

> I have over 100K miles on this truck and have never had to change the
> air filter.

It's a really big filter, what's
the problem with that?

I have similar GM trucks that I service with over 150K miles on the
original air filter.

> There's some kind of fitting that is electronically
> controlled in the path from the filter to the engine but I cannot find
> it in the factory manual.

That would be the Mass Air Flow sensor.
It is not electronically controlled, it is an input sensor to the PCM.

Learn about how MAF systems work and you'll understand why the air
filter is only responsible for assuring that no dirt is ingested into
the motor and has little to do with fuel economy and/or performance.

> All ideas are welcome. I googled this problem with no success.

What problem?
Old November 30th 08, 09:44 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
ChrisCoaster

On Nov 30, 9:38*am, aarcuda69062 > wrote:
> In article
> >,
>
> *ihss > wrote:
> > I have over 100K miles on this truck and have never had to change the
> > air filter.

> It's a really big filter, what's
> the problem with that?
>
> I have similar GM trucks that I service with over 150K miles on the
> original air filter.
>
> > There's some kind of fitting that is electronically
> > controlled in the path from the filter to the engine but I cannot find
> > it in the factory manual.

> That would be the Mass Air Flow sensor.
> It is not electronically controlled, it is an input sensor to the PCM.
>
> Learn about how MAF systems work and you'll understand why the air
> filter is only responsible for assuring that no dirt is ingested into
> the motor and has little to do with fuel economy and/or performance.
>
> > All ideas are welcome. I googled this problem with no success.

> What problem?

________________
Perhaps he thinks the air filter is installed incorrectly so as not to
collect dirt or that the dirt & debris is going someplace else.

My wife's (former) 1995 Hyundai Elantra the most heat we got out of
that thing was a luke warm trickle. The air volume from the vents
was more than adequate, it just didn't get really hot. My suspicion at
the time? A backwards thermostat in the coolant path. Never got
around to checking it - Wife got a Corolla after owning this Hyundai
2nd hand for nearly 5 years.

Goes to show you never can tell . . .

-CC

-CC
Old December 1st 08, 01:21 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
HLS

How would you know if the filter is prejudiced or not?
Visual exam doesnt mean a damn.