Gas prices...

Old March 6th 04, 11:07 PM
Zoggin

Default Gas prices...

Some anaylists predict gaslone prices to exceed $2.00 a gallon by this
summer for the entire US. Those places that already have exceeded the
$2.00 barrier could as high as $3.00 a gallon.

The only good I see of this is to get all the damned SUV's off the
road. Let's see how $100.00+ fill ups influences consumer behavior.
At long last, the age of automotive excess may be over. Maybe
consumers will drive smaller, more practical cars as opposed to view
blocking, road hogging SUV's.

Even modern mid and full sized cars average in the mid to high 20's
for mpg, yet consumers overlook these practical choices and continue
to purchase SUV's that average 11-16 mpg. The safety factor for the
dreaded SUV isn't an argument-ask any insurance company. They are by
far the most expensive vehicles to insure-mainly for the body damage
done to the other car and the massive injuries inflicted on the
occupants. SUV's roll over far more frequently than do other
cars-this is because the idiots driving them think they are invincible
in snow/ice covered roads or they think they are driving a damned
Porsche 911 or some other performance car.
Old March 6th 04, 11:27 PM
Tony P.

In article >, zoggin1970
@yahoo.com says...
> Some anaylists predict gaslone prices to exceed $2.00 a gallon by this
> summer for the entire US. Those places that already have exceeded the
> $2.00 barrier could as high as $3.00 a gallon.
>
> The only good I see of this is to get all the damned SUV's off the
> road. Let's see how $100.00+ fill ups influences consumer behavior.
> At long last, the age of automotive excess may be over. Maybe
> consumers will drive smaller, more practical cars as opposed to view
> blocking, road hogging SUV's.
>
> Even modern mid and full sized cars average in the mid to high 20's
> for mpg, yet consumers overlook these practical choices and continue
> to purchase SUV's that average 11-16 mpg. The safety factor for the
> dreaded SUV isn't an argument-ask any insurance company. They are by
> far the most expensive vehicles to insure-mainly for the body damage
> done to the other car and the massive injuries inflicted on the
> occupants. SUV's roll over far more frequently than do other
> cars-this is because the idiots driving them think they are invincible
> in snow/ice covered roads or they think they are driving a damned
> Porsche 911 or some other performance car.

I've sent my representative and senators email regardingg this. In it I
explained that we need to mandate that at least one half of an auto
manufacturers offerings must be LEV or ZEV vehicles. In the email I also
mentioned that research funding for energy storage technologies needs to
be increased.

As a third point I said that people should be able to write off their
purchase of a LEV or ZEV vehicle over a five year period.

For example - if you hybridized a Ford Experdition instead of getting
13MPG you'd get maybe 30-35MPG. It would cut gasoline and oil
consumption by 2/3's. Let the Arabs go pound sand.

Old March 7th 04, 04:40 AM
Tony P.

In article >, rogblake10
@iname10.com says...
> On Sat, 06 Mar 2004 23:27:08 GMT, Tony P. > wrote:
> >I've sent my representative and senators email regardingg this. In it I
> >explained that we need to mandate that at least one half of an auto

> I've sent my representative and senators email letting them know that
> you are a young liberal jackass who should not be listened to.

I take it you're a die hard Republican. Have you read the Pentagon paper
on Global Warming yet? Might want to start there.

> >manufacturers offerings must be LEV or ZEV vehicles. In the email I also

> Ah, yes, more meddling in the marketplace, that's what we need! (The
> very same strategy that gave us the SUV craze in the first place. You
> maroons never learn.)
>
> I drive a vehicle that gets 15 mpg (on a good day), can afford to fuel
> it even if gas prices go way up, and I make no apologies for it.

I'm happy your job hasn't been outsourced yet. Oh wait a minute,
supermarket clerks aren't exactly prime candidates for outsourcing.

Old March 7th 04, 05:54 PM
Arthur Dent

Nice to hear a voice of sanity.

This planet was heating and cooling long before humans were even
insignificant little parasites...too bad that a lot of them have not
improved their position.

Old March 17th 04, 09:49 PM
Gio

Well that sums up some one with a brain the size of a pea. 15mpg is as dire
as your mentality. Ever heard of pollution. Stop being a fool and act for
the benefit of later generations. We drive cars in the UK that do 30+ mpg
and can go just as fast as you. If not faster with your 55mph limit.

Gio

"Roger Blake" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 06 Mar 2004 23:27:08 GMT, Tony P.

> wrote:

> I drive a vehicle that gets 15 mpg (on a good day), can afford to fuel
> it even if gas prices go way up, and I make no apologies for it.
>
> --
> Roger Blake
> (Subtract 10 for email.)

---

Old March 18th 04, 02:40 PM
Stephen H. Westin

"Gio" <x> writes:

> Well that sums up some one with a brain the size of a pea. 15mpg is as dire
> as your mentality. Ever heard of pollution. Stop being a fool and act for
> the benefit of later generations. We drive cars in the UK that do 30+ mpg
> and can go just as fast as you. If not faster with your 55mph limit.

Two inaccuracies he

1. Your gallon is about 1/5 bigger than ours, so your 30MPG car will
only do 25 here.

2. We haven't had a 55 national speed limit for at least a decade.

But yes, he is shortsighted. Apparently as long as we can keep
invading countries to assure our oil supply, that's fine with him.

<snip>

--
-Stephen H. Westin
Old March 19th 04, 12:29 AM
Gio

> But yes, he is shortsighted. Apparently as long as we can keep
> invading countries to assure our oil supply, that's fine with him.
>
> > "Roger Blake" > wrote in message

> <snip>
>
> > > I drive a vehicle that gets 15 mpg (on a good day), can afford to fuel
> > > it even if gas prices go way up, and I make no apologies for it.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Roger Blake
> > > (Subtract 10 for email.)

> --
> -Stephen H. Westin
> Any information or opinions in this message are mine: they do not
> represent the position of Cornell University or any of its sponsors.

Hi Steve thanks for correcting my inaccuracies. I just saw red with Roger
and put my fingers into action on the keyboard. We have one of the most
expensive fuel costs in Europe £0.75 per litre and this has driven most
private car owners to minimising their fuel use. We also get taxed on the
amount of CO2 produced by our exhausts and pay a yearly road tax based on
the CO2 output. I am not proud of this level of taxation that amounts to
approx 80% on the cost of oil but it does make one a little conscious of our
planet and its limited resources.
I cannot afford to take the attitude afforded by Roger but if I could, I
would like to think I could act more responsibly instead of the take, take
attitude.
By the way, what is the speed limit over there now. We still see the 55
sign in your films and hence my mistake.

Gio

---

Old March 19th 04, 06:25 AM
Tony P.

In article >, "Gio" <x> says...

> > But yes, he is shortsighted. Apparently as long as we can keep
> > invading countries to assure our oil supply, that's fine with him.
> >
> > > "Roger Blake" > wrote in message

> > <snip>

> > --
> > -Stephen H. Westin
> > Any information or opinions in this message are mine: they do not
> > represent the position of Cornell University or any of its sponsors.

> Hi Steve thanks for correcting my inaccuracies. I just saw red with Roger
> and put my fingers into action on the keyboard. We have one of the most
> expensive fuel costs in Europe £0.75 per litre and this has driven most
> private car owners to minimising their fuel use. We also get taxed on the
> amount of CO2 produced by our exhausts and pay a yearly road tax based on
> the CO2 output. I am not proud of this level of taxation that amounts to
> approx 80% on the cost of oil but it does make one a little conscious of our
> planet and its limited resources.
> I cannot afford to take the attitude afforded by Roger but if I could, I
> would like to think I could act more responsibly instead of the take, take
> attitude.
> By the way, what is the speed limit over there now. We still see the 55
> sign in your films and hence my mistake.
>
> Gio

If we convert litres to gallons, there are 3.7854L to 1 gallon. So at
..75 pounds per litre, it would be 2.83 pounds per gallon.

Current U.S. to U.K. conversion would mean $5.19 per gallon for us.
We're approaching $3.00 a gallon now. At $5.19 per gallon there'd be
widespread revolt in the U.S. I guess folks in the U.K. are a little
more docile when it comes to being taxed out the wazoo, because that's
most of what you pay for gasoline there.