T&C fan on after engine off?

Old October 27th 05, 04:24 AM
harry

Default T&C fan on after engine off?

I remember for quite a while, my 1999 T&C will keep blowing air for a few
minutes especially in summer after the engine was turned off. One time, it
would not stop and my neighbor helped me unplug the fuse to stop it from
draining battery.
Also I remember that I put the fuse back after battery checked.
Now, I don't see the fan blowing even at the past hot summer.

Was the van wrongly running the fan before or the fan is not working now? I
am confused! My other two Japanese cars do not blow air after engine turned
off. Was it a Chrysler design or defect?

Old October 27th 05, 05:09 AM
Daniel J. Stern

On Wed, 26 Oct 2005, harry wrote:

> I remember for quite a while, my 1999 T&C will keep blowing air for a few
> minutes especially in summer after the engine was turned off.

Probably a sticking fan relay. This is not supposed to occur.
Old October 27th 05, 08:56 AM
Scott S.

Yep. I had that in august.The frekin fan wouldnt shut of. Hour later still
running. Opened the hood and took a look at the fuse and relay box. Sure
enough the fan relay hotter than cinder was stuck on. I gave it a rap and it
shut off, I tossed that one to the side and grabbed the fog light relay to
put it in its place. All the same relay.

n.umich.edu...

Old October 27th 05, 11:37 AM
Bill Putney

Daniel J. Stern wrote:

> On Wed, 26 Oct 2005, harry wrote:
>
>> I remember for quite a while, my 1999 T&C will keep blowing air for a few
>> minutes especially in summer after the engine was turned off.

> Probably a sticking fan relay. This is not supposed to occur.

What Dan said. I think they purposely disable the fan with the ignition
off for liability purposes - so that someone doesn't pop the hood and
stick their hand in a fan that is off and it suddenly come on. I use to
re-wire my cars so that the fan could come on whenever the sensor was
calling for it regardless of ingition switch state. With integrated
computer contorls, I can't easily do that anymore.

Bill Putney
address with the letter 'x')
Old October 27th 05, 04:42 PM
Daniel J. Stern

On Thu, 27 Oct 2005, Bill Putney wrote:

> What Dan said. I think they purposely disable the fan with the ignition
> off for liability purposes - so that someone doesn't pop the hood and
> stick their hand in a fan that is off and it suddenly come on.

I think they purposely disable the fan with the ignition off 'cause it
doesn't need to be on. The only reason electric fan after-run was common
in the '80s was because it cooled down carbureted engine bays to reduce or
eliminate percolation.