Wiper Blades: Best ?

Old November 26th 08, 10:14 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Robert11[_3_]

Default Wiper Blades: Best ?

Hello,

Is there a consensus here among all the experts re which Brand, and Type, of
wipers is the best ?
Live in New England; lots of snow and ice.

BTW: are the relatively new types without all the hinges (forget what they
are called) better than the old
style ? How about compared to the "winter blades" with the rubber boot over
them ?

What does GM use as OEM blades these days on Chevy and Buick ?

Thanks.

Old November 26th 08, 10:47 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Nate Nagel[_2_]

Robert11 wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Is there a consensus here among all the experts re which Brand, and Type, of
> wipers is the best ?
> Live in New England; lots of snow and ice.

My favorite that I've tried is the PIAA silicone, although my criteria
may be different then yours. I live outside of DC and the usual failure
mode of wiper blades around here is that the wiping edge will become
hard, stop flipping over, and eventually disintegrate. usually at
~6mos. or so. I've actually worn a set of PIAAs out on my company car;
the edge was noticeably worn from rubbing on the windshield but the
blade was still as supple as if it were new. Pretty impressive. I've
had a set on my rarely-used Porsche for almost 2 yrs. now and they're
still good as new.

> BTW: are the relatively new types without all the hinges (forget what they
> are called) better than the old
> style ?

Not sure.

> How about compared to the "winter blades" with the rubber boot over
> them ?

I find them somewhat gimmicky; I usually remove the wiper blades and
hose 'em down with silicone spray in the fall (same time that I wipe the
door seals down with silicone) however based on my experiences in the
UP, they might provide some benefit in an area where it snows every
damned day.

> What does GM use as OEM blades these days on Chevy and Buick ?

I don't know but I was singularly unimpressed with the ones supplied on
my Impala, they were already hard at 6 mos. just like I would expect
from Anco, Trico, Bosch, etc.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Old November 26th 08, 11:17 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B[_2_]

On Wed, 26 Nov 2008 17:47:57 -0500, Nate Nagel wrote:

> Robert11 wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> Is there a consensus here among all the experts re which Brand, and Type, of
>> wipers is the best ?
>> Live in New England; lots of snow and ice.

> My favorite that I've tried is the PIAA silicone, although my criteria
> may be different then yours. I live outside of DC and the usual failure
> mode of wiper blades around here is that the wiping edge will become
> hard, stop flipping over, and eventually disintegrate. usually at
> ~6mos. or so. I've actually worn a set of PIAAs out on my company car;
> the edge was noticeably worn from rubbing on the windshield but the
> blade was still as supple as if it were new. Pretty impressive. I've
> had a set on my rarely-used Porsche for almost 2 yrs. now and they're
> still good as new.
>
>> BTW: are the relatively new types without all the hinges (forget what they
>> are called) better than the old
>> style ?

> Not sure.
>
>> How about compared to the "winter blades" with the rubber boot over
>> them ?

> I find them somewhat gimmicky; I usually remove the wiper blades and
> hose 'em down with silicone spray in the fall (same time that I wipe the
> door seals down with silicone) however based on my experiences in the
> UP, they might provide some benefit in an area where it snows every
> damned day.

But the 'prophylactic' keeps the ice from building up and lifting the
wiper from the glass.

I never thought much of them until Autozone had them for half price *AND*
buy one-get one!

Old November 27th 08, 03:14 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
WW

"Nate Nagel" > wrote in message
> Robert11 wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> Is there a consensus here among all the experts re which Brand, and Type,
>> of wipers is the best ?
>> Live in New England; lots of snow and ice.

> My favorite that I've tried is the PIAA silicone, although my criteria may
> be different then yours. I live outside of DC and the usual failure mode
> of wiper blades around here is that the wiping edge will become hard, stop
> flipping over, and eventually disintegrate. usually at ~6mos. or so.
> I've actually worn a set of PIAAs out on my company car; the edge was
> noticeably worn from rubbing on the windshield but the blade was still as
> supple as if it were new. Pretty impressive. I've had a set on my
> rarely-used Porsche for almost 2 yrs. now and they're still good as new.
>
>> BTW: are the relatively new types without all the hinges (forget what
>> they are called) better than the old
>> style ?

> Not sure.
>
>> How about compared to the "winter blades" with the rubber boot over them
>> ?

> I find them somewhat gimmicky; I usually remove the wiper blades and hose
> 'em down with silicone spray in the fall (same time that I wipe the door
> seals down with silicone) however based on my experiences in the UP, they
> might provide some benefit in an area where it snows every damned day.
>
>> What does GM use as OEM blades these days on Chevy and Buick ?
>>

> I don't know but I was singularly unimpressed with the ones supplied on my
> Impala, they were already hard at 6 mos. just like I would expect from
> Anco, Trico, Bosch, etc.
>
> nate
>

> --
> replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
> http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Nate... I found that wiping the rubber with lacquer thinner cleans off the
(oxidized???) rubber and then they work OK. Warren

Old November 29th 08, 04:08 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
man of machines

the new anco one are great and no hinges in them
the spring wire is inside them, they are more money but last a whole lot longer
don't buy bosch they suc they should stick to dishwashers

Wiper Blades Scott Dorsey Technology 2 August 11th 08 09:16 PM
Wiper blades Terry Driving 12 October 10th 06 12:09 AM
73 wiper blades? LeRoy Prosic VW air cooled 1 April 19th 06 01:36 PM
wiper blades Brian Foster Jeep 21 March 14th 06 04:28 PM
Wiper Blades Gary Mazda 16 January 14th 05 10:48 PM