How was everyone elses day?

Old December 20th 04, 11:21 PM
Cory Dunkle

Default How was everyone elses day?

This morning I couldn't get into my car. Both doors frozen shut. At least I
could unlock the drivers door. Then I couldn't open it. Finally got it open
with some persuasion and heat. Then I started the car and went inside for a
couple minutes while it warmed up. I come out, and it's overheated. Turn it
off, and my radiator is frozen. Coolant is leaking out of the water pump
gasket and past the bolt heads. I let it cool off, then start it agian (no
leaks now, still full of coolant) and pull it partway into the garage and
put a heater blowing on the radiator. Finally it's awarming up a bit so I
start the car for a minute now and again and let it warm a bit and turn it
off.

Finally it seems like it's just about thawed out as the car is running. Then
coolant starts shooting out the radiator cap, and I run to turn the car off.
Before I get that far a loud pop and coolant is everywhere, covering the
garage from floor to ceiling. I dive for cover as I ehar the noise and
manage to avoid being scalded and scarred. Turn it off and after the smoke
cleared thankfully it only burst the lower radiator hose (odd I figured it
woulda burst the upper or a heater hose if anything). Finally thawe dit all
out, cut off the hose and reattached it. re-filled collant system with water
and let it idle for a few minutes. It seemed to be doing alright. A good
amount of white smoke out the pipes but then that went away so I'm hoping it
was just condensation not head gaskets. Drove around a little and it seems
fine. I got antifreeze and put a crapload more than it should need in there.
My heater core is still frozen, so I have no ehat, but at least the engine
seems to be alright. I thought I had enough antifreeze in there, but
apparently I didn't. It didn't help that we went from 40-50* weather down to
single digits last night and wind chills of -20* or so. All overnight.

So now my door is frozen shut, the inside latch to open it is broken, and I
left the window open for when I have to go out tonight. I've been getting in
Dukes of Hazzard style, only it doesn't work very well when you're 6'3.5"
and wearing a heavy winter coat to get snagged on things and barely fit in
the window. And after all that I thought my fingers were gonna fall off as
they thawed.

All I wanted to do was start the car, ya know? Maybe go to the bank and
deposit my paycheck. Instead it's now 7 hours later and I didn't get to the
bank today. Not to mention the whole thing with the courts in my other
thread...

So, how was everyone elses day?

Cory

Old December 20th 04, 11:49 PM
James C. Reeves

Well, the frozen door part sounds familiar. After a day of rain yesterday
and 8 degrees my this morning, frozen door seals are inevitable. But, that
was it for me....everything else was fine.

Old December 20th 04, 11:49 PM
James C. Reeves

Old December 21st 04, 02:48 AM
Bernard Farquart

"Cory Dunkle" > wrote in message
I got antifreeze and put a crapload more than it should need in there.

Cory, if you run more than 70% antifreeze, you will not dissapate heat
correctly, do not put "more than you need" in more is NOT better, please try
to get the mix to within the 50% to 70% range.

Sorry to hear about your morning, since I live in the Northwest(Seattle) the
worst we get is when my diesel wants to run the glow cycle two times
before starting.

Bernard

Old December 21st 04, 02:57 AM
Cory Dunkle

"Bernard Farquart" > wrote in message

> "Cory Dunkle" > wrote in message
> I got antifreeze and put a crapload more than it should need in there.
>
> Cory, if you run more than 70% antifreeze, you will not dissapate heat
> correctly, do not put "more than you need" in more is NOT better, please

try
> to get the mix to within the 50% to 70% range.
>

> Sorry to hear about your morning, since I live in the Northwest(Seattle)

the
> worst we get is when my diesel wants to run the glow cycle two times
> before starting.
>

> Bernard

I imagine I'm in the 60%-70% ballpark, and yes, I do know that antifreeze
does not transfer heat nearly as good as water does. I doubt if I'll have
any overheating problems. At this point I'm just wondering if when we get
back above freezing by Wednesday (50* in the forecast) and my heater core
thaws out if it'll leak. I sure hope not, as that wasn't a fun job putting
the new one in last month.

Old December 21st 04, 02:57 AM
Cory Dunkle

Old December 21st 04, 03:01 AM
Harry K

Reminds me of a bad day in the UP of Michigan (The Sault). Wanted to
go to town, get to car and find over a 1/4" of ice covering everything
as well as the tires frozen into 3" of slush.
I gave up any idea of using the car until a thaw.

Harry K

Old December 21st 04, 05:34 AM
Nate Nagel

I'll refer you to the "my cars hate me" thread in alt.peeves.

Missouri loves company, they say.

nate

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.