1966 Ford Mustang Convertible

Old September 6th 06, 06:02 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
[email protected]

Default 1966 Ford Mustang Convertible

I'm looking for some advice on a potential mustang purchase. Relevant
information is as follows:

Asking Price - $10,600

After 6 years of being idle, car was started last week.
Towed the car to garage for brake job and fluid checks

Model Year 66
Engine 6 cylinder- 200 straight in- line
Automatic
Convertible

Exterior/Interior - Excellent
1) $3000 paint job- original color MG sports green - looks like
factory job
2) No scratches or dents
3) Interior excellent condition- no tears, carpet new (matches
original pile)
4) Dash - looks like new; I don't know if this is restored or new-
5) No rust- California car, 2nd owner, bought this car in 1971
6) Tires- like new
7) Convertible - new top; looks new; automatic hydraulics works

Mechanical/Engine
1) Original 120,000 miles
2) Engine work never done (runs good after 6 years of non-use ; ran
good when started las week)
3) Transmission/ shifts rough after sitting for 6 years
4) New brakes installed last week (1 Sept 06)

Areas that Need attention:
1) Transmission needs to be serviced - shifts rough
2) Engine is original with 120,000 miles.

Downside:
1) No power steering
2) No power brakes

Old September 6th 06, 06:07 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
rubior2

Based on the information I provided, is the asking price reasonable?

Old September 6th 06, 12:14 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
vince garcia

wrote:

> I'm looking for some advice on a potential mustang purchase. Relevant
> information is as follows:
>
> Asking Price - $10,600
>
> After 6 years of being idle, car was started last week.
> Towed the car to garage for brake job and fluid checks
>
> Model Year 66
> Engine 6 cylinder- 200 straight in- line
> Automatic
> Convertible
>
> Exterior/Interior - Excellent
> 1) $3000 paint job- original color MG sports green - looks like
> factory job
> 2) No scratches or dents
> 3) Interior excellent condition- no tears, carpet new (matches
> original pile)
> 4) Dash - looks like new; I don't know if this is restored or new-
> 5) No rust- California car, 2nd owner, bought this car in 1971
> 6) Tires- like new
> 7) Convertible - new top; looks new; automatic hydraulics works
>
> Mechanical/Engine
> 1) Original 120,000 miles
> 2) Engine work never done (runs good after 6 years of non-use ; ran
> good when started las week)
> 3) Transmission/ shifts rough after sitting for 6 years
> 4) New brakes installed last week (1 Sept 06)
>
> Areas that Need attention:
> 1) Transmission needs to be serviced - shifts rough
> 2) Engine is original with 120,000 miles.
>
> Downside:
> 1) No power steering
> 2) No power brakes

Even in a convertible, a 6 cylinder is an albatross. Personally, I'd
give it a pass at that price
Old September 7th 06, 03:56 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
c m prince

How old are you? Even with a six cylinder, a nice convertible is a good
investment. And from what I've seen, the price is not unreasonable.

oups.com...

Old September 7th 06, 09:58 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
rubior2

My intentions are to sell this car for a profit if I can. Having done
a little bit of research, I am comming to the conclusion that in its
present condition I might be able to turn a quick profit. What I am
trying to ascertain is a realistic estimate of how much this car would
be worth. Any ideas?

Old September 8th 06, 12:49 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
c m prince

Have you checked Ebay Motors for similiar prices? That's where I found my
wife's nice 68 coupe. I couldn't afford any of the ragtops there.

ups.com...

Old September 8th 06, 09:50 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
rubior2

Based on your question, I have started scouring the ebay site. So far,
I've found two that are very simmilar to the one I am considering
buying. Current bids for these two cars range from $12,050 to $9,300.

The main difference between these cars and the one I am considering is
the level of reconstruction/restoration. These two cars have had body
parts replaced because of rust. The one I am looking at has no rust
and all parts are original. Also the car has been in storage for a
total of 14 years. I think I am going to pull the trigger on it.
Thanks for your advice and help.

Old September 8th 06, 09:51 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
rubior2