Best tires to buy for SW2

Old August 15th 06, 12:50 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
J B

Default Best tires to buy for SW2

Thanks for the info guys. It was the Blizzak's I remember reading about
on here about a year or so ago. Don't know why I was thinking it had
"Mountain" in the name.

My location at present time is Omaha, but will be moving probably next
spring or sooner. Not sure exactly where to yet, but it'll probably be
one of these three places: Casper, WY; Billings, MT; or Salt Lake City,
Utah. So no matter what my new tires will be seeing alot of snow & ice.

Thanks, Jeff

Old August 15th 06, 03:48 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Joe[_6_]

> You want some awesome winter tires, try studded ones. I use them on my
> plow trucks, they are a bit noisy at times but the traction is ice and
> snow is incredible.

....And not legal in some areas. I think we have a certain "season" for them
here in NJ.
--

Joe in Northern, NJ - V#8013-R

Currently Riding The "Mother Ship"

Ride a motorcycle in or near NJ?
http://tinyurl.com/5apkg
http://www.youthelate.com

Old August 15th 06, 01:07 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
SnoMan

On Tue, 15 Aug 2006 02:48:20 GMT, "Joe"
> wrote:

>> You want some awesome winter tires, try studded ones. I use them on my
>> plow trucks, they are a bit noisy at times but the traction is ice and
>> snow is incredible.

>...And not legal in some areas. I think we have a certain "season" for them
>here in NJ.

In some areas they are only legal for 4 to 6 months a year but they
are quite legal in snowy areas and even if it has a restriction on
usage this is not big deal because I used extra rims for them and put
them on in winter and switch back in spring and this way get many
years of service from them (Next winter will be 6th winter for studded
tires for wifes car)
-----------------
TheSnoMan.com
Old August 15th 06, 11:08 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
J B

Snoman, I've received negative feedback from family and friends about my
idea of moving to SLC, so I'm seriously thinking of either Casper or
Billings a little more lately. I was in Helena for 4 months about 3
years ago. Had trouble finding work and came to Omaha where I thought
I'd be for about a year tops. I'm really getting the itch to move ASAP.
Nothing against Omaha, but I like the country in and around the Rockies.
Peaceful and beautiful.

Thanks for the input,

Jeff

Old August 16th 06, 12:24 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
SnoMan

On Tue, 15 Aug 2006 17:08:16 -0500, (J B) wrote:

>Snoman, I've received negative feedback from family and friends about my
>idea of moving to SLC, so I'm seriously thinking of either Casper or
>Billings a little more lately. I was in Helena for 4 months about 3
>years ago. Had trouble finding work and came to Omaha where I thought
>I'd be for about a year tops. I'm really getting the itch to move ASAP.
>Nothing against Omaha, but I like the country in and around the Rockies.
>Peaceful and beautiful.
>
>Thanks for the input,
>
>Jeff

If you plan to look for work, Billings has a far bigger playing field
to look for work in. If you are going cold turkey, Billings would have
a edge over Casper. Helena has a very limited job market and it
nothing like Billings in this regard. People travel for 300 miles and
more to shop in Billings as it is the "hub" for this and has the
biggest selection of goods north of Denver and Salt Lake to canada.
Billing climate is not too extreme in that while it can get to 30
below in short order and blow snow big time it can be mild in winter
sometimes too since it is about 3400 feet above sea level and yet you
can drive to the mountains and snow in but a few hours at most. It is
a little over 2 hours to Bozeman which is in a higher vally and has
snow more often but a very tight job market their. I used to spend a
lot of time in billings and sometimes I really miss it. Good luck on
your choice.
-----------------
TheSnoMan.com
Old August 16th 06, 12:36 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
J B

Thanks again Snoman. When I left Montana I remember seeing smokestacks
on the edge of Billings but couldn't see the town from the highway. It
was real early in the morning and I had just driven through a bad
snowstorm so maybe it was just my eyes, but all's I remember is seeing
those smokestacks and thinking it was probably more of an industrial
town.

If nothing else I'll be taking a drive up through Casper and Billings
just to check out the area.
A lady told me Casper has grown to about 3 times the size it used to be
over the last couple of years. Not sure why or if it's even true.

Anyways, thanks everyone for the advice.

Jeff

Old August 16th 06, 01:39 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
SnoMan

On Tue, 15 Aug 2006 18:36:34 -0500, (J B) wrote:

>Thanks again Snoman. When I left Montana I remember seeing smokestacks
>on the edge of Billings but couldn't see the town from the highway. It
>was real early in the morning and I had just driven through a bad
>snowstorm so maybe it was just my eyes, but all's I remember is seeing
>those smokestacks and thinking it was probably more of an industrial
>town.
>
>If nothing else I'll be taking a drive up through Casper and Billings
>just to check out the area.
>A lady told me Casper has grown to about 3 times the size it used to be
>over the last couple of years. Not sure why or if it's even true.
>
>Anyways, thanks everyone for the advice.
>
>Jeff

It has been several year since I have been there but there is a
refinery on the north east end of Billings which they keep pretty
clean and there are really no house really down wind for it. There is
another one in Laurel which is about 18 miles west of billings on I-90
and you may have seen them because they are right next to interstate.
From Billings central to the northwest going sout to the south side
of billings is the area that is booming with stories and such and
there is no other big manufactures in billings stack wise. THen there
is billings heights to which is north of town past airport. They had a
nice mall there, RimRock Mall.
-----------------
TheSnoMan.com
Old August 19th 06, 04:43 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
J B

Couple of more questions for you gents:

What are your opinions on Kumho Touring A/S 795 (Standard Touring
All-Season) tires? Have any of you ever used Kumho tires before?

My original tires are size 185/65R15. The Kumho's I can buy are
185/65SR15. I'm wondering what that 'S' stands for. Apparently it's fine
to use them for my car because it's listed as such.

I'm wondering about these tires because I read very good reviews about
them and the price is 'nice' also. I'd have to pay for shipping and I
don't know how much that would be yet. But if I buy these I'm guessing
I'd save at least $100 on what I figured I'd have to spend for new tires
just walking into a shop.

Also, I noticed other options listed for sizes of tires for my car as
being 16 & 17 (besides the original 15). How much better would 16's or
17's be for driving? I'm pretty sure that's the width of the tire. As
you can see I'm not an expert on this stuff.

Thanks, Jeff