question about cost to repair PS or rack & pinion

Old June 11th 06, 11:27 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default question about cost to repair PS or rack & pinion

On Sun, 11 Jun 2006 19:25:49 GMT, > wrote:

>"Don" > wrote in message
.. .

>> Not in a PT Loser! Considerable disassembly is required. Tthe
>> radiator, fans and condensor are all bolted together and intended to
>> be replaced as a "module." You can work around this but takes a good
>> deal longer than slapping a radiator in a Camry or a Honda. Even
>> aftermarket, the radiator is a little pricier than most.
>>
>> Don
>> www.donsautomotive.com

>That is a good point. There are always applications that take longer to
>repair, are more troublesome, etc. A grand seem a lot, but that would
>just about equal a 10 hour flatrate plus a radiator..

Not everyone has a place to do the work, the knowledge, the interest,
the skill set, or the time and tools required to repair these things.
Some people have more money than time, and gladly pay the bill. Must
be nice.

I'm going to have a hell of a time with my own radiator when it needs
service. So knowing that ahead of time, I'm reading up on it in
advance. I'm sure it's going to be a PITA, but what must be done must
be done.

Lg

Old June 11th 06, 11:29 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

On Sun, 11 Jun 2006 14:56:53 -0500, Don
> wrote:

>On Sun, 11 Jun 2006 19:25:49 GMT, > wrote:
>

>>"Don" > wrote in message
. ..

>>> Not in a PT Loser! Considerable disassembly is required. Tthe
>>> radiator, fans and condensor are all bolted together and intended to
>>> be replaced as a "module." You can work around this but takes a good
>>> deal longer than slapping a radiator in a Camry or a Honda. Even
>>> aftermarket, the radiator is a little pricier than most.
>>>
>>> Don
>>> www.donsautomotive.com

>>That is a good point. There are always applications that take longer to
>>repair, are more troublesome, etc.

>Try replacing the radiator in a '98 Taurus in your driveway. Chances
>are you will end up having it towed to a body shop unless you shoot
>yourself first! Bumper, grill, whole damn front end comes off to do
>it!
>
>Don
>www.donsautomotive.com

Bingo.
That's my situation with a Taurus engine in a Mercury Sable body (
2003 ). Otoh, No Damn Way I'm paying somebody else to do it, who is
going to charge me $700 for labor.

Lg

Old June 11th 06, 11:55 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

"Lawrence Glickman" > wrote in message
> ================================================== ===========
> >Try replacing the radiator in a '98 Taurus in your driveway. Chances
> >are you will end up having it towed to a body shop unless you shoot
> >yourself first! Bumper, grill, whole damn front end comes off to do
> >it!
> >
> >Don
> >www.donsautomotive.com

> Bingo.
> That's my situation with a Taurus engine in a Mercury Sable body (
> 2003 ). Otoh, No Damn Way I'm paying somebody else to do it, who is
> going to charge me $700 for labor.
>
> Lg

Even in a driveway, or in a carport, most of these things are possible.
Some
just aren't easy. And some jobs aren't easy for the mechanic with a fully
equipped shop.

I am retired, at present, and on a more or less fixed income. I do most of
my
own work because I like to do it, and because it saves me a potfull of
money.

I have become very VERY conscious of which cars have ****teaux reliability
records, which ones are hard to repair, etc. Gone are the days when I want
a car with everything from a dropdown TV to a flushing toilet. I do not
want
the hassle anymore.

I want a strong ride, minimum problems, and no smartass sass from a lavender
shirted prick service writer at an unappreciative dealership.

I am starting out on two air conditioning projects this week and will work
with
a local independent shop to get the job done the way I want it done.

We will discuss it, agree on a plan, and get on it.

When I get to the point that can no longer find a way to get things done the
way I want them, I will ride my bike .....or freaking lie down and die.

But the day when I will buy a car that costs $1000 bucks to replace a
radiator,
and the day that I wouldn't try to do it myself, hasn't come yet.

Old June 12th 06, 12:21 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

On Sun, 11 Jun 2006 22:55:33 GMT, > wrote:

>"Lawrence Glickman" > wrote in message
>> ================================================== ===========
>> >Try replacing the radiator in a '98 Taurus in your driveway. Chances
>> >are you will end up having it towed to a body shop unless you shoot
>> >yourself first! Bumper, grill, whole damn front end comes off to do
>> >it!
>> >
>> >Don
>> >www.donsautomotive.com

>> Bingo.
>> That's my situation with a Taurus engine in a Mercury Sable body (
>> 2003 ). Otoh, No Damn Way I'm paying somebody else to do it, who is
>> going to charge me $700 for labor.
>>
>> Lg

>Even in a driveway, or in a carport, most of these things are possible.

Yes, I find driveway is best place, except in wintertime when I am
forced to retreat to garage with a space heater.

>Some
>just aren't easy. And some jobs aren't easy for the mechanic with a fully
>equipped shop.

I've done radiators before, and none of them were easy. Especially
when you don't have another vehicle to take you to a repair shop for a
core replacement. The lesson learned is: buy the hardware BEFORE you
begin the job, but in my case I was doing a water pump replacement and
accidentally brushed against the radiator fins. That was enough to
cause it to start leaking from erosion ( sandblasting and corrosion ).
Now instead of one problem which I had prepared for, I had two
problems, the radiator being the worst of it.

It was a Mutha to repair/replace that. But I had no choice, so
brought it in a borrowed vehicle to Roy's Radiator where they saved
the end tanks but replaced the vanes. Still, cost me an almost
severed right index finger and about $120, not to mention the grief
factor.

>I am retired, at present, and on a more or less fixed income. I do most of
>my
>own work because I like to do it, and because it saves me a potfull of
>money.

Saves me money I don't -have-. If you don't have it, you can't spend
it.

>I have become very VERY conscious of which cars have ****teaux reliability
>records, which ones are hard to repair, etc. Gone are the days when I want
>a car with everything from a dropdown TV to a flushing toilet. I do not
>want
>the hassle anymore.

I think the Vulcan V6 I have is a *proven* engine. The AX4N tranny
though...let's not go there. Don't mention it.

>I want a strong ride, minimum problems, and no smartass sass from a lavender
>shirted prick service writer at an unappreciative dealership.

BTDT

>I am starting out on two air conditioning projects this week and will work
>with
>a local independent shop to get the job done the way I want it done.
>
>We will discuss it, agree on a plan, and get on it.
>
>When I get to the point that can no longer find a way to get things done the
>way I want them, I will ride my bike .....or freaking lie down and die.

Well, I would have lied down and died a long time ago, but I have to
take care of the Ranch here, so can't even afford the luxury of
checking out of the building.

>But the day when I will buy a car that costs $1000 bucks to replace a
>radiator,
>and the day that I wouldn't try to do it myself, hasn't come yet.

Yah for sure. When the day comes, I buy a radiator, hoses and
fittings, and do it myself, making sure the house is stocked for a
WEEK with food and meds etc, cause it's gonna be a bitch.

Lg

Old June 15th 06, 02:16 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

Lawrence Glickman wrote:
> On Sun, 11 Jun 2006 22:55:33 GMT, > wrote:
>

> >"Lawrence Glickman" > wrote in message
> >> ================================================== ===========

Hi!! I am GirlyGirl,
The lucky owner of a 98 Taurus with 100,000+ and a clogged radiator.
I have to say, reading the boards online about this problem makes me
feel a little
better, not to be alone and to get a heads up on the cost of the repair
and what is
involved.
My mechanic quoted me under 300 for labor and he also said the radiator
people
might be able to clean mine out well enough to reuse it.
Ever heard of this? The car gets hot, the coolant cooks into something
that looks
like baby poop, if left unchecked it corrodes the fins in your pump and
plugs up the
radiator?
I took it in right away, after the coolant reservoir popped and the car
wouldn't start.
Got a new reservoir, ran a pressure test, no visable leaks, ran a
diagnostic, cylinders
fine and pump still pumping after backflushing, radiator fans working
well.
My question is, what caused the overheat in the first place? GG

Old June 16th 06, 01:36 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

> wrote in message
oups.com...

> My mechanic quoted me under 300 for labor and he also said the radiator
> people
> might be able to clean mine out well enough to reuse it.
> Ever heard of this? The car gets hot, the coolant cooks into something
> that looks
> like baby poop, if left unchecked it corrodes the fins in your pump and
> plugs up the
> radiator?

If the radiator is not rotten with corrosion, it can often be cleaned out
and reused. Even if some
damage has been done, a good radiator shop can often repair the damage and
get you going.

They can also install a totally new, or even a custom, radiator.

Baby poop in the cooling system can be emulsion from a oil leak (blown
gasket, cracked block,
or cracked head), or it can be rust from the engine block. The coolant
doesn't normally degrade
as badly as you describe.

I think this is a problem that needs a calm and comprehensive examination,
cleanout, and repair, not
just a bandaid.