[OT]CPU Advice needed

Old December 6th 05, 05:14 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators

Default [OT]CPU Advice needed

DJ Speedy,

It appears you are certain that you want an Intel processor. I have
built 93 systems in the last four years. Right now is the worst time to
go with Intel. They slower processor and it costs more money. It is
really a lot slower when playing games. Look at this review:
http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-10442_7....html?tag=lnav
Granted it is dual core but the single core results are close to the
same. Bascially the Intel chips cost more and perform less. Things may
change in the future but for now that is the way it is. Also consider
you can buy a single core AMD processor and later upgrade to a dual
core processor using the same motherboard. I do not think this is
possible with Intel at the current moment. Brian Bowles

Old December 6th 05, 07:37 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators

Yes, unfortunately there's no compelling reason to buy an Intel CPU at this
point in time. It's actually quite annoying that Intel aren't even
bothering to try to compete with AMD for price/performance/temperature these
days. Intel are holding their market share purely on their history and IT
industry ignorance/fear of change (and bribing Dell) and they're milking it
for all it's worth. It might backfire on them though.

Old December 6th 05, 10:10 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

I was set for an Intel CPU, yes.

But after doing some reading on Tom's Hardware, now I'm on the fence, though I'm leaning more towards the AMD at this point.

It seems clear to me (thanks to the above reading) that getting a dual-core CPU right now is a waste of money as only future apps would support it. Might be nice to have, but nothing more than a paperweight at this point in time.

That being the case, I believe I can get by with a single core HT CPU. So I've spec'd two systems (one Intel, one AMD) for comparison purposes.

Also from my reading, SLI is a good way to go, but only if I were to get dual SLI vid cards. From reading the marks on Tom's Hardware, I was suprised to see dual 6800's outperform a single 7800 GTX. But for now I'll settle for the single 7800GTX.

Both specs come in under my budget ($1500), and the AMD is $35 cheaper. I tried to select the best match as far as CPU and mobo but don't know for sure if I succeeded.

CASE : Xplorer Mid-Tower Case 420W W/ WINDOW & LCD Temperature Display
CPU : (939-pin) AMD ATHLON64 4000+ CPU w/ HyperTransport Technology
MOTHERBOARD : (Sckt939)Asus A8N5X nForce4 Chipset SATA RAID PCI-E w/GbLAN,USB2.0,&7.1Audio
MEMORY : 1024 MB (512MBx2) PC3200 400MHz Dual Channel DDR MEMORY (Corsair Value Select)
VIDEO CARD : NVIDIA Geforce 7800 GTX 256MB 16X PCI Express Video Card
HARD DRIVE : (SATA150) Hitachi 400GB 7200RPM 8MB Cache Hard Drive
Optical Drive : SONY DWQ-28A DUAL FORMAT 16X DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW DRIVE DUAL LAYER
SOUND : HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO

CASE : Xplorer Mid-Tower Case 420W W/ WINDOW & LCD Temperature Display
CPU : (Sckt775)Intel® Pentium® 4 660 CPU w/HT Technology 3.6GHZ 800FSB 2MB Cache, 64 Bit
MOTHERBOARD : GigaByte GA-8I945P-G I945P Chipset LGA775 DDR2/667 SATA PCIE w/7.1Audio,GbLAN
MEMORY : 1GB (2x512MB) PC5300 DDR2/667 Dual Channel Memory (Corsair Value Select)
VIDEO CARD : NVIDIA Geforce 7800 GTX 256MB 16X PCI Express Video Card
HARD DRIVE : (SATA150) Hitachi 400GB 7200RPM 8MB Cache Hard Drive
Optical Drive : NEC 3520A 16X DVD+-RW DRIVE DUAL LAYER

Old December 6th 05, 11:57 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

Hi DJSpeedy,

You might want to read some of the comparisons on www.anandtech.com I
think they are not as biased as tomshardware. Tom loves Intel. You are
correct that single core is probably your best bet at this point in
time. A lot of people are buying the opteron chips right now because
they have 1mb of cache instead of 512k and the are fantasitic
overclockers getting 2.7-3.0ghz on average. If you go this route and
want to overclock get a DFI nF4 lanparty motherboard. Do not get the
corair ram with this board because it does not work well. The corsair
will work in almost all other boards fine. I think they need a bios
update for it. I think the AMD chips over the 3700+ have 1mb of cache
anyway. If you do not plan to overclock then get one of the regular
Athlon64 processors. Also Asus makes nice boards. Keep in mind that the
AMD processors over 3700+ all overclock to about the same speed. For
that reason most people do not buy the most expensive ones. OCZand G
Skill make good ram too. If you plan to go sli you might need more
power on the power supply. Unless you need the power the 7800gt is a
better value. It all depends on what you want to spend.... I am going
to use some parts that I already have to build the following system
Opteron 2800+ w/ Thermalright si 120 heatsink
DFI Lanparty Expert
WD 74gig raptor
WD 160gb special edition drive
Nvidia 7800GT
1mb OCZ 3200 DDR
OCZ Powerstream 520watt ps
Thermaltake Tsunami case
NEC 3540 DVDr
Lite On cd/dvd
Leadtek tv tuner
Logitech coredless keyboard and mouse
Klipsch pro media speakers
Dell 2405fpw lcd
Sony floppy drive

Old December 7th 05, 01:13 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators

what is the difference on the "lan party boards" that one says SLI D, next
has DR next doesnt say SLI in the but has the 2 same slots, all ate
different prices.

Lastly I assume there is a reason you said "DFI Lanparty Expert"
and same time you getting um, 2 7800gts then?

Im wanting to cheapen what your building, as FIAK all Im gonna use is mem,
processor board & GPU rest of the stuff I have pretty new.

So since I wont be dumping for 2 7800 in to sli mode you still think the gt
better than the GTZ? In fact I would probably get by with the non SLI
version of the DFI board, since they are so much cheaper, spend the
difference on a good vid card, or you think no?

Im asking because I see the damn cards are saying more or less "SLI" which
of course means cost more? (which is bass Akwards IMHO if Im gonna dole
money out, for 2 they should give me a little break, right?)

Then of course, I dont get it, unless they are saying they wont work in SLI
on boards that do SLI, without sayign SLI on them cards? If that is the
case, I cant get one now and on later either then, right?

C R A P...

Old December 7th 05, 01:36 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators

Thought this was good info, didnt know if you knew this, but I didnt know
it... about the lan party boards (from newegg).
I was lucky in a way, I ordered a new PSU, and I got the this one with the
new 24 pin connector that I could NOT use on my old machine... I didnt want
to waste shippin it back, figured Ill use it sooner or later (knew I was
beginning to look for upgrade boards and all)

Pros: I don't know yet, I'm going to have to wait another week to ship an
adapter to make it work.
Anything I've ever gotten prior to this from DFI meant a smooth fast
assembly and competetive build....

Cons: Well, apparently this "ATX form factor" board won't work with the 550
watt ATX Form factor PSU that I've used for all my other DFI builds. The
fact that it requires a 24 pin connector instead of the standard 20 should
be lit up like a neon sign, but there is no mention in the stats, so now my
prized rig is sitting useless until I wait for an adapter to be delivered at
the speed of snail. I highly doubt something like that can be found locally.

UPS 3 day actually means a week, so if you want a "newegg" like delivery be
sure to pay extra for fedex.

If you are using 3 dimms of RAM, your 3rd dimm is now completely useless, go
box it up or something or buy another identical dimm. This board works in
several configurations involving it's 4 dimm slots but none of them involve
3 sticks of ram.

Other Thoughts: I realize that if I had studied the picture of the board
carefully I may have noticed the power input being as wide as the floppy
connector, but honestly "form factor" is supposed to mean "compatible"
otherwise they need to make mention IMO.

Reviewed By: Badger, 11/30/2005 9:25:58 PM

Old December 7th 05, 11:55 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators

You should be able to use a 20pin PSU on a 24 pin mainboard. Most
mainboards have an auxilliary power connector (IDE HDD type) for
compatibility with 20 pin PSUs. In fact, the A64 4000+ (x850XT) machine
I'm using right now has a 24 pin board and I'm using a 20 pin PSU.

Old December 8th 05, 02:32 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators

Default CPU Advice needed

I am kind of backing away from the Expert board now. I think I am just
going to get the DFI UTnF4 board for $125 from newegg. I am not going
to go SLI.

Old December 8th 05, 03:01 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators

Old December 8th 05, 03:25 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators

>I am kind of backing away from the Expert board now. I think I am just
> going to get the DFI UTnF4 board for $125 from newegg. I am not going
> to go SLI.

Some would say SLI is strictly for those with more money than brains since
there's usually a single card released soon after that outperforms SLI
setups but it's the extra heat generated that bothers me the most. Stock PC
coolers already sound like vacuum cleaners as it is and I like to be able to
hear myself think.

carfax reports odometer rollback, advice needed, please [email protected] Honda 17 September 22nd 05 04:23 AM
Advice needed re. hood scratches Class 1 BMW 12 April 26th 05 07:00 PM
Axles - Advice needed Doug Jeep 22 April 25th 05 05:36 AM
SN95 headlight upgrade. Advice needed. Paul Ford Mustang 19 January 17th 05 05:00 AM
Advice needed replacing A3 brakerotors and strut mounts. [email protected] VW water cooled 5 October 22nd 04 05:14 PM