What Does Yellow Warning Light Mean?

Old November 13th 05, 04:16 PM
Jetta Owner 2003

Default What Does Yellow Warning Light Mean?

We just had a circular, yellow warning light pop up on our 2003 Jetta
Turbo Diesel sedan. The dealer gave us a videotape with the car, not an
owner's manual. What does this light mean if anyone knows?

Old November 13th 05, 05:00 PM
Johann Koenig

On Sunday November 13 at 08:16am
"Jetta Owner 2003" > wrote:

> We just had a circular, yellow warning light pop up on our 2003 Jetta
> Turbo Diesel sedan. The dealer gave us a videotape with the car, not
> an owner's manual. What does this light mean if anyone knows?

Do you mean the glow plug light?
--
-Johann Koenig
Old November 13th 05, 05:08 PM
Jetta Owner 2003

yes

Old November 13th 05, 05:19 PM
Johann Koenig

On Sunday November 13 at 09:08am
"Jetta Owner 2003" > wrote:

> yes

On my '82 and '85 diesels, a blinking glow plug light indicated water
in the separator. Of course, its standard function is to indicate when
the glow plugs are on. It should go out after a delay, or as soon as
you start cranking the engine.
--
-Johann Koenig
Old November 13th 05, 06:58 PM
Joseph Meehan

Johann Koenig wrote:
> On Sunday November 13 at 08:16am
> "Jetta Owner 2003" > wrote:
>
>> We just had a circular, yellow warning light pop up on our 2003 Jetta
>> Turbo Diesel sedan. The dealer gave us a videotape with the car, not
>> an owner's manual. What does this light mean if anyone knows?

> Do you mean the glow plug light?

If it comes on when you turn the car on when it is below 40º F it is the
glow plug light and it is trying to tell you to leave the ignition on, but
don't turn it any further until the light goes out, then turn it the rest of
the way to activate the starter. It indicates the glow plugs are being
powered up and warming up to help start your engine. It usually takes a few
seconds to 30 seconds depending on how old your cars is and how cold it is.
I think the max for your engine is about 15 seconds.

Flashing is another problem. It likely looks like some hot coiled
wires.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Old November 14th 05, 02:56 PM
Brian Running

> We just had a circular, yellow warning light pop up on our 2003 Jetta
> Turbo Diesel sedan. The dealer gave us a videotape with the car, not an
> owner's manual. What does this light mean if anyone knows?

On the older ones, that meant it's time to drain the water out of your
water separator.
Old November 14th 05, 03:03 PM
Matt B.

"Jetta Owner 2003" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> We just had a circular, yellow warning light pop up on our 2003 Jetta
> Turbo Diesel sedan. The dealer gave us a videotape with the car, not an
> owner's manual. What does this light mean if anyone knows?

Does it look like this?

( O )

If so it's the brake pad warning light.

Old November 20th 05, 12:24 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

Mines been flashing on and off since last winter. Thinking it was a glow
plug wiring issue .. I forgot it was hooked up to the water seperator too.
Drained the tank, problem solved, Thanks.. Vern Diesel