na windows sticky

Old June 11th 09, 09:46 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
peter

Default na windows sticky

hi,

how can i un-sticky my windows? it seems like they are jammed when
going up and they pull the molding/gasket up into a wad at the top also.

thanks,
peter
Old June 11th 09, 10:22 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Jeroen Feelders

Try to spay some WD40 (siliconespray) into the moulding at the front and
maybe you should adjust the endstop of the top position of the windows. The
softtop-rubbers may be deformed by now so leakage may occur after
adjusting...

Jeroen Feelders
Technical Commissioner
Mazda MX-5 Club of the Netherands

---

"peter" > schreef in bericht

Old June 12th 09, 12:51 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Lanny Chambers

In article >,
"Jeroen Feelders" <http://mailto.feelders.com> wrote:

> Try to spay some WD40 (siliconespray) into the moulding at the front and

Silicone spray, yes; never use WD-40, which is a solvent, not a
lubricant.

It's normal for the window to distort the rubber upper molding. That's
why it's always a good idea to open and close the door after closing a
window, to relieve the twist.

--
Lanny Chambers
St. Louis, MO
Old June 12th 09, 02:17 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Christopher Muto

"Jeroen Feelders" <http://mailto.feelders.com> wrote in message
> Try to spay some WD40 (siliconespray) into the moulding at the front and
> maybe you should adjust the endstop of the top position of the windows.
> The softtop-rubbers may be deformed by now so leakage may occur after
> adjusting...
>
> Jeroen Feelders
> Technical Commissioner
> Mazda MX-5 Club of the Netherands
>
> ---
>
> "peter" > schreef in bericht
>> hi,
>>
>> how can i un-sticky my windows? it seems like they are jammed when going
>> up and they pull the molding/gasket up into a wad at the top also.
>>
>> thanks,
>> peter

there is an article on miata.net that talks about how to lubricate the
window's tracks inside the door with lithium grease. additionally, as
mentioned, lubricating the rubber at the front edge of the window with
silicon spray goes a long way to reliving the resistance. but be careful as
the silicon is quick to make of the glass. i do it with the window down and
using the straw attachment on the nozzle, and apply it sparingly, and then
exercise the window up and down.
http://www.miata.net/garage/miata_window_tlc.html
http://www.miata.net/garage/lubricating_windows.html

Old June 12th 09, 03:01 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Grant Edwards

>>> how can i un-sticky my windows? it seems like they are jammed when going
>>> up and they pull the molding/gasket up into a wad at the top also.

>> Try to spay some WD40 (siliconespray)

As somebody already pointed out, WD40 isn't a silicone spray.
WD40 is a water-dispersant/solvent made of of some secret
recipe of petroleum distillates and hydrocarbons. It's
intended to be used on metal. It's not going to hurt glass,
but I'd be careful about using it on rubber/plastic.

>> into the moulding at the front and maybe you should adjust the
>> endstop of the top position of the windows. The
>> softtop-rubbers may be deformed by now so leakage may occur
>> after adjusting...

> there is an article on miata.net that talks about how to
> lubricate the window's tracks inside the door with lithium
> grease. additionally, as mentioned, lubricating the rubber at
> the front edge of the window with silicon spray goes a long
> way to reliving the resistance.

I'd use silocone spray rather than silicon spray. The latter
is a bit on the abrasive side....

--
Grant

Old June 23rd 09, 12:59 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
peter

peter wrote:
> hi,
>
> how can i un-sticky my windows? it seems like they are jammed when
> going up and they pull the molding/gasket up into a wad at the top also.
>
> thanks,
> peter

hi,

i pulled the door panels off, pulled the rubber gaskets out and cleaned
them. the windows go up and down quite well with the gasket out...good
not a motor or switch issue. i replaced the gasket and sprayed 100%
silicone lube and moved the window up and down a couple of times.

the lithium greese i had previously used dried up and became crusty and
now, (so far), the windows work well.

just have to find the leak in the new motor....

peter