any please provide your knowledge

Old February 26th 05, 06:56 AM
Erik

Default any please provide your knowledge

Ok. I am having a terrible problem with knocking and pinging. The car runs
good, but when it shifts into the next gear it has a series of knocking and
pinging. When the car is cold, it seems to be fine. When it warms up is when
the problem begins. It is a 93 325i with auto transmission. I have replaced
the knock sensor. I checked and there are no codes on the computer. The
plugs are clean. I am not too familirar with these cars yet and am in need
of assistance from someone who does. With the above mentioned, can anyone
help point me in a better direction? Again, when the car warms up, it seems
to happen. It happens especially right after it shifts.

Also, I turn on my radio and all i see is 'CODE'. How do I correct this
problem? I had some work done and they had to pull out the dash. I also lost
my digital clock on the 'computer' inside the car with the buttons that
allow me to check range, timer, temp etc... I go to push clock and it tells
me to set it, but nothing works.

Old February 26th 05, 02:41 PM
JimV

Erik wrote:
> Ok. I am having a terrible problem with knocking and pinging. The car runs
> good, but when it shifts into the next gear it has a series of knocking and
> pinging. When the car is cold, it seems to be fine. When it warms up is when
> the problem begins. It is a 93 325i with auto transmission. I have replaced
> the knock sensor. I checked and there are no codes on the computer. The
> plugs are clean. I am not too familirar with these cars yet and am in need
> of assistance from someone who does. With the above mentioned, can anyone
> help point me in a better direction? Again, when the car warms up, it seems
> to happen. It happens especially right after it shifts.
>
> Also, I turn on my radio and all i see is 'CODE'. How do I correct this
> problem? I had some work done and they had to pull out the dash. I also lost
> my digital clock on the 'computer' inside the car with the buttons that
> allow me to check range, timer, temp etc... I go to push clock and it tells
> me to set it, but nothing works.

I would suspect the ports to your EGR valve may be plugged with carbon
or the EGR valve has failed. Did you dump the error codes? Your radio
needs the security code re-entered. If you don't have it, take your VIN#
and registration to a dealer and they can look it up.
Old February 26th 05, 07:29 PM
Jeff Mayner

Erik wrote:
> Ok. I am having a terrible problem with knocking and pinging. The car
> runs good, but when it shifts into the next gear it has a series of
> knocking and pinging. When the car is cold, it seems to be fine. When
> it warms up is when the problem begins. It is a 93 325i with auto
> transmission. I have replaced the knock sensor. I checked and there
> are no codes on the computer. The plugs are clean. I am not too
> familirar with these cars yet and am in need of assistance from
> someone who does. With the above mentioned, can anyone help point me
> in a better direction? Again, when the car warms up, it seems to
> happen. It happens especially right after it shifts.

This may seem a bit simplistic, but, are you possibly using gas with too low
an octane rating?

Jeff

Old February 26th 05, 11:38 PM
Erik

I wish that was the issue. I am using 91 octane and have used the ol' fuel
injector cleaner in a bottle a few times just in case.

Old February 27th 05, 07:14 AM
tech27

"Erik" > wrote in message
>>> Also, I turn on my radio and all i see is 'CODE'. How do I correct
>>> this problem? I had some work done and they had to pull out the dash.
>>> I also lost my digital clock on the 'computer' inside the car with
>>> the buttons that allow me to check range, timer, temp etc... I go to
>>> push clock and it tells me to set it, but nothing works.

You must have had the battery disconnected during service. You need to enter
the code for the radio. If you don't have it you will need to go to a BMW
dealer with lots of ID and all your car information. They will give you a
code as long as they believe you are the legitimate owner of the car and/or
radio. The purpose of the code was to make the radio useless if stolen and
therefore reduce thefts of the radio.

Old February 28th 05, 06:59 PM
///M

"Erik" > wrote in message
>I wish that was the issue. I am using 91 octane and have used the ol' fuel
>injector cleaner in a bottle a few times just in case.

My experience with engines is that people that use high octane gas get
carbon buiildups in the combustion chamber. I don't usually get involved
with octane arguments, but people like the higher numbers, it makes them
feel better. That's fine. But higher octane means slower flame fronts. it
has nothing to do with the energy stored in the hydrocarbon itself. unless
you have a high compression engine over 11:1 most people don't need high
octane.

That being said, your car has some carbon buildup. Once the carbon heats
up it stays hotter longer than the metal beneath it. Thre are some
decarbonizing chemicals out there. Like the fuel injector cleaners, some are
snake oil. Octane booster from a brand name may help reduce the carbon
buildup. otherwise it's off with the head.

Shaw

Old February 28th 05, 08:12 PM
tech27

"///M" > wrote in message
m...

> "Erik" > wrote in message
>>I wish that was the issue. I am using 91 octane and have used the ol' fuel
>>injector cleaner in a bottle a few times just in case.

> My experience with engines is that people that use high octane gas get
> carbon buiildups in the combustion chamber. >snip

Octane booster from a brand name may help reduce the carbon
> buildup. otherwise it's off with the head.
>
> Shaw

I'm confused. Are you saying that higher octane (fuel or with additive)
causes buildup or reduces it?

My experience has been to just use the rating suggested by the manufacturer.
Aftermarket chips and such generally require higher octane to get
performance improvements as a result of remapping.

My 740 runs on the suggested octane just fine. My M5 runs 94. My M3 track
car does best on 94, but the engine is very much reworked. I had an 87 325is
and I didn't pay much attention to performance or power, but I found that I
got much better mileage using the recommended fuel than a higher octane.

Just my observations.

Old March 1st 05, 04:27 PM
Erik

Please keep in mind that when the car is cold, it runs fine without the
pinging. When it gets to operating temp, it pings like crazy when it first
shifts and under load. I changed the plugs yesterday and the problem still
exists. What would temperature and the pinging have in common?

o.verio.net...

Old March 2nd 05, 03:03 AM
Erik

I found some coolant on two plugs. I found the problem