YAY! Grand Prix on HD DVD!

Old January 3rd 07, 10:53 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
timmy thompson

Default YAY! Grand Prix on HD DVD!

Ed Medlin wrote:
> "mcewena" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>>
>>> Grand Prix in all it's glory in HI Def!!! Just stunning!!!

>> How did the 1966 film suddenly gain more pixals?
>>
>> Can you actually tell the difference between the hidef dvd and a
>> standard one up-converted?
>>

> Since the late 40s and early 50s film had a much higher resolution than a TV
> could do. There are many films being redone now at 1080 i/p (basically what
> we now call HD). HDNet Movies airs a lot of older films in 1080i and they
> look great. There is a hit in the conversion process, but not a lot. When I
> first got HD through DirectTV I was not nearly as impressed with the content
> as I am now. I just ordered the Nascar HD package with the onboard cameras
> and radios. I will keep the nascar.com Pit Command for one year just in case
> it isn't what I expect......:-). I wish there was something similair for
> ALMS and other road racing........
>
> Ed

are the onboard cams HD?
Old January 3rd 07, 11:56 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Bob Loblaw

"timmy thompson" > wrote in message
> Ed Medlin wrote:
>> "mcewena" > wrote in message
>> oups.com...

>>> How did the 1966 film suddenly gain more pixals?
>>>
>>> Can you actually tell the difference between the hidef dvd and a
>>> standard one up-converted?
>>>

>> Since the late 40s and early 50s film had a much higher resolution than a
>> TV could do. There are many films being redone now at 1080 i/p (basically
>> what we now call HD). HDNet Movies airs a lot of older films in 1080i and
>> they look great. There is a hit in the conversion process, but not a lot.
>> When I first got HD through DirectTV I was not nearly as impressed with
>> the content as I am now. I just ordered the Nascar HD package with the
>> onboard cameras and radios. I will keep the nascar.com Pit Command for
>> one year just in case it isn't what I expect......:-). I wish there was
>> something similair for ALMS and other road racing........
>>
>> Ed

> are the onboard cams HD?

35mm film has four times the resolution of HDTV. It's just a matter of
converting the masters to 1080i or 1080p.

Old January 4th 07, 12:45 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Lancelot

"Bob Loblaw" > wrote in message
.. .

> "timmy thompson" > wrote in message
>> Ed Medlin wrote:
>>> "mcewena" > wrote in message
>>> oups.com...

>>> Since the late 40s and early 50s film had a much higher resolution than
>>> a TV could do. There are many films being redone now at 1080 i/p
>>> (basically what we now call HD). HDNet Movies airs a lot of older films
>>> in 1080i and they look great. There is a hit in the conversion process,
>>> but not a lot. When I first got HD through DirectTV I was not nearly as
>>> impressed with the content as I am now. I just ordered the Nascar HD
>>> package with the onboard cameras and radios. I will keep the nascar.com
>>> Pit Command for one year just in case it isn't what I expect......:-). I
>>> wish there was something similair for ALMS and other road racing........
>>>
>>> Ed

>> are the onboard cams HD?

> 35mm film has four times the resolution of HDTV. It's just a matter of
> converting the masters to 1080i or 1080p.

Actually it was filmed in Super Panavision 70mm Cinerama. Here is some
further info.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Prix_(movie)

Old January 4th 07, 12:56 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Lancelot

Actually it was filmed in Super Panavision 70mm Cinerama. Here is some
> further info.
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Prix_(movie)

The link proved faulty. Try this one
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Prix_%28movie%29

. ..

Old January 4th 07, 01:20 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Bob Loblaw

"Lancelot" > wrote in message
> Actually it was filmed in Super Panavision 70mm Cinerama. Here is some
>> further info.
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Prix_(movie)

> The link proved faulty. Try this one
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Prix_%28movie%29

That's good to know. I also realised that he was talking about the onboard
cameras in the Nascar cars and not the Formulas in Grand Prix. That will
teach me to read more carefully next time.

Old January 4th 07, 01:57 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
jason moyer

mcewena wrote:

> How did the 1966 film suddenly gain more pixals?

Analog sources don't use pixels. Ultimately there's probably a point
where most people won't notice the difference, but when converting from
analog to digital (and this applies to pretty much anything) the higher
the resolution that you're converting to the closer you're going to get
to the source material. Or, at least, you'll eventually get close
enough that no one notices the difference.

Old January 4th 07, 04:23 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Ed Medlin

"timmy thompson" > wrote in message
> Ed Medlin wrote:
>> "mcewena" > wrote in message
>> oups.com...

>>> How did the 1966 film suddenly gain more pixals?
>>>
>>> Can you actually tell the difference between the hidef dvd and a
>>> standard one up-converted?
>>>

>> Since the late 40s and early 50s film had a much higher resolution than a
>> TV could do. There are many films being redone now at 1080 i/p (basically
>> what we now call HD). HDNet Movies airs a lot of older films in 1080i and
>> they look great. There is a hit in the conversion process, but not a lot.
>> When I first got HD through DirectTV I was not nearly as impressed with
>> the content as I am now. I just ordered the Nascar HD package with the
>> onboard cameras and radios. I will keep the nascar.com Pit Command for
>> one year just in case it isn't what I expect......:-). I wish there was
>> something similair for ALMS and other road racing........
>>
>> Ed

> are the onboard cams HD?

Won't know until Daytona. I doubt it though.

Ed

Old January 4th 07, 08:43 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Lancelot

are the onboard cams HD?

Comcast offered a sample last year by giving three or four free in
car cams on race day. I believe it was Daytona. As I recall the in cars were
not HD :-(
Maybe that will change this year. Saddam swinging was filmed with a Sony HD
handi-cam I heard,( God rest his soul.), so it seems the technology would
allow HD in car.

Old January 5th 07, 01:50 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Ed Medlin

"Lancelot" > wrote in message
news
> are the onboard cams HD?
>
> Comcast offered a sample last year by giving three or four free in
> car cams on race day. I believe it was Daytona. As I recall the in cars
> were not HD :-(
> Maybe that will change this year. Saddam swinging was filmed with a Sony
> HD handi-cam I heard,( God rest his soul.), so it seems the technology
> would allow HD in car.

Yea, the technology is there as far as the camera, but I would think that BW
issues in transmission might be the restricting factor. I am not well versed
in HD transmission, so that is just a guess.

Ed