1990 mustang rack and pinion replacement question.

Old October 7th 13, 01:42 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
[email protected]

Default 1990 mustang rack and pinion replacement question.

I was wondering if you could help me. I have a 1990 mustang gt. I purchased a replacement rack for it becasue of a power steering leak. Last night I finished the install but am second guessing something. I have the stock intermediate shaft fromt he steering wheel section to the steering rack. When I went to re install this I noticed something. On the steering rack input shaft there is a top splined section, a non grooved section horizontally around the shaft, then another splined section. The rag joint end of the intermediate joint is what goes onto this steering rack input shaft. I can only get this over the first set of splines on the steering input shaft, down to that non splined area. I am not sure if the intermediate shaft is supposed to go down over the second set of splines or not. I dont see how it can becasue there is no extra length in this shaft and the hole in the shaft must line up with the hole in the steering wheel side becasue a bolt goes through it.

Like I said I just wanted to make sure. I appreciate any help!
Old October 16th 13, 08:18 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Sanity Clause

> wrote:

> I was wondering if you could help me. I have a 1990 mustang gt.
> I purchased a replacement rack for it becasue of a power steering leak.
> Last night I finished the install but am second guessing something.
> I have the stock intermediate shaft fromt he steering wheel section to
> the steering rack. When I went to re install this I noticed something.
> On the steering rack input shaft there is a top splined section, a non
> grooved section horizontally around the shaft, then another splined section.
> The rag joint end of the intermediate joint is what goes onto this steering
> rack input shaft. I can only get this over the first set of splines on the steering
> input shaft, down to that non splined area. I am not sure if the intermediate
> shaft is supposed to go down over the second set of splines or not. I dont
> see how it can becasue there is no extra length in this shaft and the hole in
> the shaft must line up with the hole in the steering wheel side becasue a bolt
> goes through it.

Here you go....
http://repairguide.autozone.com/znet...52800697ea.gif

As you can see, the upper shaft (21) that the intermediate bolts to is hollow and
square, and slides over the upper section of itself (19). The anti-rattle spring (20)
keeps it from rattling, and also keeps it from easily "un-telescoping" itself.

My guess is that when you removed the old rack, you pried the joint off, accidentally
collapsing the upper section and making it appear that there's "no extra length".
A good sharp yank should pull it back down to where it needs to be.

And yes, the rag joint clamp (15) has to slide down over both splined areas, so the
bolt (14) can go in the groove between the splines, "pinning" it so it can't pull off.

Old October 16th 13, 05:20 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
[email protected]