Alfa 147 engine oil?

Old May 26th 04, 06:42 PM
Adrian Plant

Default Alfa 147 engine oil?

Hi

I have an Alfa 147 2.0 Lusso TS, and the engine needs some oil. What would
be the best type to get?

Any help is much appreciated.

Old May 26th 04, 07:39 PM
Pete

On Wed, 26 May 2004 17:42:39 +0000 (UTC), "Adrian Plant"
>, wrote:

>Hi
>
>I have an Alfa 147 2.0 Lusso TS, and the engine needs some oil. What would
>be the best type to get?
>
>Any help is much appreciated.

Fully Synthetic oil. What ever make your local garage sells.
Just read the label carefully.
NOT synthetic based oil, a full synthetic one.

Pete
--

156 2.0 TS (2001) - Proteo Rosso (his)
147 2.0 TS (2002) - Gem Green (her's)
Old May 26th 04, 11:07 PM
David C

"Adrian Plant" > wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have an Alfa 147 2.0 Lusso TS, and the engine needs some oil.
> What would be the best type to get?

Castrol RS 10W60 Full Synthetic.
Cheapest place I've found it is: www.castrolclassicoils.co.uk
--
David C
156 Selespeed sp3 + Brembo conversion

Old May 27th 04, 09:29 AM
Jake P

"Pete" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 26 May 2004 17:42:39 +0000 (UTC), "Adrian Plant"
> >, wrote:
>
> >Hi
> >
> >I have an Alfa 147 2.0 Lusso TS, and the engine needs some oil. What

would
> >be the best type to get?
> >
> >Any help is much appreciated.
> >

> Fully Synthetic oil. What ever make your local garage sells.
> Just read the label carefully.
> NOT synthetic based oil, a full synthetic one.

Why fully synthetic? I use Shell semi-synthetic, exactly the same as the
dealers (and I've used 3 locally, they keep closing the buggers down!!) put
in at services, on exactly the same vehicle as above. If it's good enought
for them, and my Alfa warranty, then who am I to argue?

ISTR a similar discussion (or discussions!) here where fully synthetic was
absolutely not recommended, for reasons that I can't remember.

Jake

Old May 27th 04, 12:19 PM
MeatballTurbo

In article <40b5c824.0@entanet>, says...
> "MeatballTurbo" > wrote in message
> t...
> > In article <40b5a7d1.0@entanet>,
says...
> > > Why fully synthetic? I use Shell semi-synthetic, exactly the same as

> the
> > > dealers (and I've used 3 locally, they keep closing the buggers down!!)

> put
> > > in at services, on exactly the same vehicle as above. If it's good

> enought
> > > for them, and my Alfa warranty, then who am I to argue?
> > >

> > Depends on the Viscosity I think.
> >
> > Most full synths I've seen tend to be 5w or 0w viscosities.

> And I think that may be where the discussion went - what's the overwhelming
> reason to use 5w or 0w viscosity in the UK's temperate climate?
>
> Jake

I have no idea TBH.

Currently driving a Saab 900 Turbo (the old classic 900)with 132k miles
on it.
Looking to move to an Alfa shortly hence my reading and posting here.

The owners handbook says 10w30 for the injection NA Saabs, or Saab turbo
oil for the Turbos. On some of the Saab boards, it has been discussed
that Saab Turbo oil is and always has been Mobil based, usually the
current top spec varient. In this case, Mobil one fully synthetic.
locally, all I could find was Mobil one 5w40 or 0w40 but people from
other areas and countries have said that they can get 10 and 15w Mobil
one even if they had to order it specially from motorsport places.

I used my local Halfords and their oil chart, and they recommended
Halfords fully Synth 5w40 for the 900 Turbo for best performance. I used
that, and Chevron 5w40 fully Synth from Costco for about 1 year and a
bit. But suffered some leakage (noticing a drop after a week and a topup
required after 2, but not down to minimum about 250ml for 1000 miles).
Having read that an older 900 on fully Synth oil leak, I switched to
10w40 semi synth (Carlube Triple R from Tetrosyl). also there has been
less blow through from the PCV since I switched, the turbo intake and
the intercooler were getting pretty oily previously (fine misty film,
rather than sludge).

The car has run a bit warmer, and warmed up quicker, but the weather has
been up a bit too. However, in the first 2 weeks, I've seen no noticable
drop in oil level, and the underside of the engine/trans isn't as oily
anymore. the hydraulic lifters take a little longer to quieten, but once
pumped up, they are quieter than before.

TBH, with a 20 year old car, with 132k miles on the engine, with 3k
miles changes, I was using the cheapest I could get. however, I'm now at
a compromise, the Carlube is cheaper than Halfords, but far dearer than
Chevron, but seems to do it's job (staying in the engine) better.

Hope I have the same success in finding the right oil when I get an
Alfa, and a reasonable cost source for it.

I imagine the Saab turbo oil would be a 10w rated oil apart from in
Scandinavia in the winter, and even there only because you need a good
supply to the turbo early on to avoid bearing damage.
--
The poster formerly known as Skodapilot.
http://www.bouncing-czechs.com
Old June 10th 04, 03:21 PM
Keri

Dunno whether you've sorted yourself out now, but I had the same
question, so was prompted to e-mail my Alfa dealer. Their reply was :

We use Selenia 20k oil which is rated at SAE 10w 40 and is a semi
synthetic oil. Selenia is the approved brand of Fiat and Alfa Romeo
but
you could use a different make like Shell or Castrol as long as it is
of
the same specification. We do sell Selenia in two litre tins for
Ł12.51
inc VAT.

This is Cleveley Cars in Cheltenham.

Cheers, Keri.