Hey Mike and or Bill

Old March 16th 05, 01:47 AM
Greg

Default Hey Mike and or Bill

I asked a while ago about seals for the power steering on my 81 CJ7, one
of you gave a site with a seal kit, think it was $17.00, anyway time to quit
topping it up every outing and fix it, it's the seal were the steering shaft
goes in, anyway if someone knows were to get the seal kit I'd appreciate it.

Old March 16th 05, 02:00 AM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Hi Greg,
Any of your local parts stores, that have a machine shop will have
it. A Google search:
http://www.rubicon4x4.com/catalog/in...cPath/459_2103 Be sure a
rent/buy a puller for the pulley, and just replace that seal in place,
works for me.
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old March 16th 05, 02:06 AM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Sorry, I was thinking pump, you still need the pitman arm puller,
try to find a shop with American tools, as it must be forged.

Old March 16th 05, 03:02 AM
Jeff Strickland

I bought mine at NAPA.

Old March 16th 05, 03:06 AM
Jeff Strickland

Bill, The leak is where the steering column goes into the steering box. The
pitman arm should not need to be disturbed.

Mike Romain says the seals can be put in while the box is still mounted, all
you have to do is pull the steering column and the seals will come off over
the small shaft that the steering column is attached to.

Old March 16th 05, 03:23 AM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Yes, I have done it that way.
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old March 16th 05, 03:37 AM
Jeff Strickland

Can you come over and do mine? It has been leaking for a very long time and
the path of least resistance is to carry a bottle of power steering fluid.

Old March 16th 05, 03:56 AM
Greg

And were to get the seals?

Old March 16th 05, 04:28 AM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Got my Bronco to do first. What I have found that will postpone
fixing it, is to spray it with gasoline, then wash it off with your
garden hose pressure nozzle. Swells the seal and washes out any dirt
particles holding it open.
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old March 16th 05, 02:29 PM
Mike Romain

I just checked and Canadian Tire sells the input seal for $16.00 and the
other various seals if needed or a whole kit.

I just unbolt the box and drop it down to change the front seal leaving
everything hooked up to it.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's