95 ZJ oil leak

Old March 15th 05, 08:39 PM
Fred Wesner

Default 95 ZJ oil leak

My 95 ZJ 4.0 auto pukes about a silver dollars size spot on the
driveway. Just started this recently, drips from the bell housing.
The back of the VC is spotless has never leaked passes white rag test
and looks brand new using a mirror. I tightened the VC bolts, none real
loose; did not overtighten. Underneath there is a bit of oil on the
filter bracket but not much. Going to clean it up and try to see where
it's seeping.

My main problem is how to remove the rear grey plastic elbo in the VC so
I can check if there is a blockage. Just it just pull out? I was
afraid to pry and break it. The plastic tube from this thing to the
valve on the intake manifold is not plugged.

I thought I'd make sure the ventilation system is working first before
condemning the main seal. May still be the oil filter bracket though.

Am going to look on ePay for a shop manual soon.

Thanks if anyone can help.

Fred Wesner
San Jose, CA

Old March 15th 05, 09:39 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Hi Fred,
Good idea, because crankcase pressure will be your culprit. The
rubber like grommet will have harden and you'll have to break it out, so
go ahead and buy one off of any parts store display rack. More than
likely the electric solenoid thingie Chrysler uses instead of the normal
Positive Crankcase Ventilation valve, will have clogged and would have
long since gone bad. Most of the Jeeps have been converted to PCV valve
system, as on this carburated Jeep SMOG stuff that will be helpful on
your Engine: http://home.sprynet.com/~dale02/list.htm
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old March 15th 05, 10:07 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

That's the first thing I throw away:
http://www.billhughes.com/spinonadapter.jpg But, apparently there's
there really isn't enough room for that to work on your car.
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O

Old March 15th 05, 11:16 PM
Fred Wesner

Yes, that's the beast. Sheesh my 90 XJ didn't have this just the filter
in it's place; and it never NEVER ever leaked and still doesn't. Will
see about fixing ASAP as I've got major trip in two weeks. Again thanks
for the correspondence. I'm thinking of getting rid of it but I don't
think there is enough room for the filter.

Fred

Old March 16th 05, 01:03 AM
DougW

Fred Wesner did pass the time by typing:
> Thanks Bill.
> I'm going to pry it out. If I break it, I guess I'll just get a new one
> and plan to remove the VC and check in there too. I know where the leak
> is now; while under there I noticed a drip from the starter; sure enough
> it is the oil filter adapter. I cleaned it (and the side of the engine)
> with solvent then ran it for 30 minutes in the driveway and there is a
> very slow drip from the adapter. So I need to replace the O rings in
> there. I do want to be sure the vent system is working though.

It's keyed. There is a big tab and a little tab. How exactly it
comes out I dunno. but this pic gives you an idea.
http://www.hescosc.com/catalog.html

See the valve cover and the key thingy.

The part has a similar wide side, but I can't seem to find
my old vac harness, must have thrown it away.

You don't want plastic bits falling into the oil gally.

--
DougW

Old March 17th 05, 07:42 PM
Fred Wesner

Thanks for the link to the picture Doug. I decided not to risk breaking
it. I'll have my mechanic check it when she (!) replaces the O rings on
the oil filter adapter which is where the leak is happening. I'd do it
except no time, I don't have the special torx socket and my torque
wrench is lost in the mess in the garage.

Thanks again,
Fred

DougW wrote:
> Fred Wesner did pass the time by typing:
>
>>Thanks Bill.
>>I'm going to pry it out. If I break it, I guess I'll just get a new one
>>and plan to remove the VC and check in there too. I know where the leak
>>is now; while under there I noticed a drip from the starter; sure enough
>>it is the oil filter adapter. I cleaned it (and the side of the engine)
>>with solvent then ran it for 30 minutes in the driveway and there is a
>>very slow drip from the adapter. So I need to replace the O rings in
>>there. I do want to be sure the vent system is working though.

> It's keyed. There is a big tab and a little tab. How exactly it
> comes out I dunno. but this pic gives you an idea.
> http://www.hescosc.com/catalog.html
>
> See the valve cover and the key thingy.
>
> The part has a similar wide side, but I can't seem to find
> my old vac harness, must have thrown it away.
>
> You don't want plastic bits falling into the oil gally.

Jeep Cherokee Coolant Leak Ankors Chrysler 1 January 23rd 05 06:01 PM
2002 Caravan PS Leak..Help Arthur Moore Chrysler 1 January 19th 05 11:04 AM
4.0 Head Gasket Oil Leak DougW Jeep 8 December 23rd 04 01:42 AM
96 Chevy Pickup Intake Leak? bob Technology 2 December 13th 04 01:57 PM