A1 Cabriolet Instrument Cluster Interchangeability

Old March 2nd 05, 08:10 PM
Papa

Default A1 Cabriolet Instrument Cluster Interchangeability

I have seen 2 different versions of the speedometer/tachometer instrument
clusters on the liquid-cooled rabbits and cabriolets of the late 80s, early
90s. One of them has the coolant temperature gauge in the middle of the
cluster, at the top of the cluster between the tach and speedo. The other
version has the coolant temperature gauge on the tach, at the bottom left of
the tach dial, with the fuel quantity gauge on the tach also, but at the
bottom right of the tach dial.

Are these 2 versions interchangeable so that either can be mounted and
connected without making any changes or modifications, and allowing all
instruments to function properly?

Thank you.

Old March 2nd 05, 08:20 PM
Lee

There is also one that has a Shift Light at the top center.

nk.net...

Old March 3rd 05, 12:38 AM
Stephen Haare

I don't think so but why do you ask? I think I might know the answer.

Steve

nk.net...

Old March 3rd 05, 01:54 AM
Papa

Why do I ask? Simple. I want to get a replacement, but one that will work on
my car.

Old March 3rd 05, 06:37 AM
Matt B.

"Papa" > wrote in message
ink.net...
> Why do I ask? Simple. I want to get a replacement, but one that will work
> on my car.

if it's anything like the A2s, the one w/the coolant temperature top and
center is for Digifant cars and the other one with the coolant gauge
embedded in the tach is for CIS cars (and this one usually also had the
upshift light at top center). I doubt they're interchangeable if VW saw fit
to specify different ones.

Old March 3rd 05, 01:29 PM
Papa

Thanks, Matt. My car is a 1988 (Rabbit) Cabriolet Convertible, 1.8 liter
gasoline engine, automatic transmission. It has the cluster with the coolant
temperature gauge located top center. I have not been able to determine if
it has two connectors at the bottom, or just one (car is not accessible
right now). The ones I have seen for sale on Ebay with exactly the same
layout as mine (coolant tem gauge at top center, double digit tach, etc.)
only have one connector - bottom right. The cluster I have works for the
most part, except for the digital clock.

Oh, in case you are wondering why I don't just ask a VW dealer, it is
because my car is a mix of various year parts (1992 engine, for example).

Old March 3rd 05, 04:38 PM
Papa

Well, Steve, do you care to enlighten us about "I might know the answer", or
were you just trolling?

Old March 3rd 05, 06:26 PM
Stephen Haare

The reason I asked was that I was guessing that your odometer or speedometer
had stopped working. This is a very common problem on these clusters. What I
did for the speedo was to get another cluster that I knew wouldn't work and
just swap the speedo from the new one to the old one. You may be able to get
away with doing the same thing for the clock. If you do get a new cluster
and it doesn't work you still might be able to just swap the clock portion
into the old cluster but I personally have not done that.

HTH
Steve

ink.net...

Old March 3rd 05, 06:30 PM
Stephen Haare

I spend way to much time helping people here and on the vortex, where I saw
your other post, to be called a troll. My "I might know the answer" was
directed at the answer to my question not yours. See my other post.

.net...

Old March 3rd 05, 06:43 PM
Papa

I'm very sorry, and you didn't deserve my insult. Just got up grouchy, I
guess.