Something sticking......

Old January 6th 05, 07:11 PM
jna2kgt

Default Something sticking......

I have a 00 GT with about 75,000 miles. At about 68,000 miles it developed
a ticking on the right side (from the driver's perspective. When I first
start it cold it doesn't tick. After about 1-2 minutes it starts ticking
quietly. It does not tick when idling, only at cruising speeds. It also
doesn't tick when you put any normal load on it. Wide open throttle
sounds awful it ticks so bad. I took it to Ford and they said I have a
bad bearing (wrist pin, crank bearing or something). My bullsh** flag
rose because they said I need a new engine which is about $5500 for parts
and labor. Does this really sound like a bearing? Also, do SOHC 4.6's
have lifters? Can they actually get sticky lifters, or can something else
in the valvetrain stick? And one more thing, if it is a "lifter" how in
the hell do I fix it? Thanks for any help!

Old January 6th 05, 07:28 PM
Jim Warman

Not a "lifter" in the strictest sense of the word, but it has a hydraulic
lash adjuster. These are available separately. The cam follower must be
removed (special tool required) to remove the lash adjuster.

You can check to see if TSB 03-25-06 applies to your car...

lkaboutautos.com...

Old January 6th 05, 07:52 PM
jna2kgt

I found the TSB. I believe it applies, well, it appears to. Does Ford fix
these problems on their own coin?

Old January 6th 05, 08:31 PM
jna2kgt

Well it appears that TSB 03-25-06 applies to Romeo built engines, and mine
happens to be a Windsor. Thanks anyway!

Old January 7th 05, 04:28 AM
Cory Dunkle

"jna2kgt" > wrote in message
lkaboutautos.com...
> I have a 00 GT with about 75,000 miles. At about 68,000 miles it

developed
> a ticking on the right side (from the driver's perspective. When I first
> start it cold it doesn't tick. After about 1-2 minutes it starts ticking
> quietly. It does not tick when idling, only at cruising speeds. It also
> doesn't tick when you put any normal load on it. Wide open throttle
> sounds awful it ticks so bad. I took it to Ford and they said I have a
> bad bearing (wrist pin, crank bearing or something). My bullsh** flag
> rose because they said I need a new engine which is about $5500 for parts
> and labor. Does this really sound like a bearing? Also, do SOHC 4.6's
> have lifters? Can they actually get sticky lifters, or can something else
> in the valvetrain stick? And one more thing, if it is a "lifter" how in
> the hell do I fix it? Thanks for any help!

Sounds to me like it's most likely a problem with your valvetrain. Listen to
it closely and see if you can tell if it sounds like top end noise or bottom
end noise. Bottom end noise is generally lower pitched and more 'thunky'.
Top end noise is usually higher pitches and more of a 'ticking' noise. The
first thing I'd do is adjust your valves.

In indeed the problem is a bad bearing, you most likely don't need a new
engine. At the least you need a new bearing, perhaps some machine work if
it's worn badly or scored the surface of the crank. Either way you slice it,
you don't need a whole new engine as most likely your engine is pretty
healthy. May just need a 'freshening up' with new bearings and refinishing
some journals.

I'm curious, is your oil pressure low at any RPM?

Cory

Old January 7th 05, 05:17 AM
Jim Warman

I forgot to mention...... about 2 years ago, I had a 4.6 with what appeared
to be a valve train or exhaust leak kind of tick..... turned out to be a
scored cylinder wall. These motors run a very short, skirtless piston with
antifriction material somehow embossed into the major and minor thrust faces
(90% to the pin)... some of the old stuff I've learned through the years is
getting replaced with new experiences.

I would suggest, then, in master guaging the oil pressure at each head while
the noise is occuring. I've been mostly diesels these last couple of years
but I do know there are provisions for checking oil pressure at the head.
There is the possibility that oil pressure is dropping at elevated rpm and
this could indicate a restricted oil pump pick up or a problem with a
cylinder head orofice.

lkaboutautos.com...

Old January 7th 05, 07:27 PM
jna2kgt

Wow....sounds complicated. Would an engine gunk flush take care of a
restricted pickup? Also, it realy doesn't have to be at to much of an
elevated RPM to tick. Sometimes 1500-1700 RPM. Thanks!

Old January 7th 05, 07:28 PM
jna2kgt

Nope. No low oil pressure at any RPM.

Old January 8th 05, 03:29 AM
Jim Warman

Perhaps.... but, there's no sense in trying something like this without
being sure that's the problem. I've seen a lot of damage result from
misguided shotgun repairs. Too many times, some of this stuff just depletes
your resources so that when you toss in the towel and visit the mechanic,
there's not enough funding left for a proper repair.

Check the oil pressure..... do it tha way I described.... this is the only
way to know for sure.

lkaboutautos.com...