Trip Report

Old September 30th 09, 06:09 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Tim M.

Default Trip Report

Drove the '97 Miata up to New Jersey after work on Friday, arrivign at
my hotel at midnight, some 225 miles from home. The car ran
flawlessly at the prevailing traffic flow of 75-80mph, returning about
28.5 mpg. Top down the whole way, listening to a couple of new CDs.

Saturday morning I made my way the remaining half of the trip to a
small town about an hour northwest of Boston proper, arrivign at my
friend's house at noon, having averaged almost exactly 60mph including
two brief stops for soda and stretches. The car got a smidge under
30mpg, at 29.8 mpg for 223 miles. Again with the top down.

Had a nice visit with Dom and his family; a four year old and an 18-
month-old may be the secret to my 52-year-old buddy's youthful
exuberance (he has already raised a family of four kids ranging in age
from 30 to 21) but it just made me tired playing with them for 24
hours! I think I shall await the arrival of grandchildren, rather
than starting all over again!

Overnight Saturday, rain moved in, so I had my first chance to drive a
fair distance with the top up on Sunday morning. Interestingly,
there was a small leak at the front of the driver side window when the
car was stopped, but it did not leak while moving. Traffic was
blastign along, and the Miata was nt strained at all at 80-83mph most
of the way home on Sunday. I did have a fill-up of 11.4 gallons
before reachign home, prompting me to check the owners manual to
discover that the car has a 12.6 gallon fuel tank; larger than I
recall on my old '92 1.6 liter model. Only got 28.1 mpg on the return
trip, thought the rain did taper off and end, allowing me to put the
top down for the last 200 miles of the drive home.

Today I washed it and waxed it and cleaned and conditioned the seats
when I got home from work.

Looking forward to a cool (48-degrees F) drive into work with the top
down tomorrow morning.

Tim

Old September 30th 09, 01:24 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
miker[_2_]

Sounds like a nice weekend! I've had window leaks while driving but it took
strong crosswinds.

miker

Old December 6th 09, 03:12 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo[_2_]

Don't know how I missed this post (my bad) but sounds like a fun trip. Is
this one of your first trips in this Miata?

Chris
99BBB

"Tim M." > wrote in message
> Drove the '97 Miata up to New Jersey after work on Friday, arrivign at
> my hotel at midnight, some 225 miles from home. The car ran
> flawlessly at the prevailing traffic flow of 75-80mph, returning about
> 28.5 mpg. Top down the whole way, listening to a couple of new CDs.
>
> Saturday morning I made my way the remaining half of the trip to a
> small town about an hour northwest of Boston proper, arrivign at my
> friend's house at noon, having averaged almost exactly 60mph including
> two brief stops for soda and stretches. The car got a smidge under
> 30mpg, at 29.8 mpg for 223 miles. Again with the top down.
>
> Had a nice visit with Dom and his family; a four year old and an 18-
> month-old may be the secret to my 52-year-old buddy's youthful
> exuberance (he has already raised a family of four kids ranging in age
> from 30 to 21) but it just made me tired playing with them for 24
> hours! I think I shall await the arrival of grandchildren, rather
> than starting all over again!
>
> Overnight Saturday, rain moved in, so I had my first chance to drive a
> fair distance with the top up on Sunday morning. Interestingly,
> there was a small leak at the front of the driver side window when the
> car was stopped, but it did not leak while moving. Traffic was
> blastign along, and the Miata was nt strained at all at 80-83mph most
> of the way home on Sunday. I did have a fill-up of 11.4 gallons
> before reachign home, prompting me to check the owners manual to
> discover that the car has a 12.6 gallon fuel tank; larger than I
> recall on my old '92 1.6 liter model. Only got 28.1 mpg on the return
> trip, thought the rain did taper off and end, allowing me to put the
> top down for the last 200 miles of the drive home.
>
> Today I washed it and waxed it and cleaned and conditioned the seats
> when I got home from work.
>
> Looking forward to a cool (48-degrees F) drive into work with the top
> down tomorrow morning.
>
> Tim

Trip Report in Pictures: Mojave Trail, and question ULB Jeep 3 March 29th 09 07:41 PM
Trip report miker Mazda 13 July 30th 07 02:41 PM
Naches Trip Report jbjeep Jeep 2 July 1st 06 05:31 AM
Canadian Bush New Years Run trip report! Mike Romain Jeep 5 January 12th 05 10:18 PM
need car fax report Tony General 0 February 11th 04 07:44 AM