Hard Top Time

Old December 13th 09, 04:00 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Carbon

Default Hard Top Time

On Fri, 11 Dec 2009 23:07:42 -0600, Chris D'Agnolo wrote:

> Good point, the fact that the plastic window could virtually shatter
> if touched in super cold weather seemed insane to me. That glass
> window is another lovely upgrade on the NB!

I've seen lots of plastic windowed tops around but assumed they were
aftermarket. I didn't know the NA came with a plastic window. Why would
Mazda have shipped that instead of glass?
Old December 13th 09, 04:04 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Carbon

On Sat, 12 Dec 2009 17:58:09 -0700, Stuart H. wrote:
> Bob McDonald wrote:
>
>> Yeah, put my hardtop on in early October when we got the first snow.
>> Missed some nicer top-down weather in late October and throughout
>> November, but put the car away a couple of weeks ago (gas stabilizer,
>> etc.) It is supposed to be -38C here tonight with windchill of -51C.
>> I guess that I will not be driving the Miata again until spring.
>> Sigh!

> Bob, where are you? Our forecast tonight is -41C, (currently -31C) and
> my weather experience sounds very similar to yours. Hardtop on
> October 8th when we had first snow. Now tucked away with 1 amp
> trickle charger on for the winter.

Jeez! Transplanted Canadian here, living in Florida. Spent about a dozen
years in Lethbridge, Alberta. Do not miss the winters. Right now it's 11
PM and it's still 72F.
Old December 13th 09, 04:13 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Grant Edwards[_3_]

On 2009-12-12, miker > wrote:
>> Good point, the fact that the plastic window could virtually shatter if
>> touched in super cold weather seemed insane to me.

> ?? Have I just been lucky?

Yes.

> Window always seemed ok in super cold... plastic, but ok.

My bother touched his NA plastic window a little too hard last
winter and it broke rather badly. The NB glass windows are a
lot tougher, but they're still way too small for comfort.

--
Grant

Old December 13th 09, 04:14 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Grant Edwards[_3_]

On 2009-12-13, Carbon > wrote:
> On Fri, 11 Dec 2009 23:07:42 -0600, Chris D'Agnolo wrote:
>
>> Good point, the fact that the plastic window could virtually shatter
>> if touched in super cold weather seemed insane to me. That glass
>> window is another lovely upgrade on the NB!

> I've seen lots of plastic windowed tops around but assumed they were
> aftermarket. I didn't know the NA came with a plastic window. Why would
> Mazda have shipped that instead of glass?

Plastic is a lot cheaper and lighter.

--
Grant

Old December 13th 09, 04:10 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Frank Berger

Carbon wrote:
> On Fri, 11 Dec 2009 23:07:42 -0600, Chris D'Agnolo wrote:
>
>> Good point, the fact that the plastic window could virtually shatter
>> if touched in super cold weather seemed insane to me. That glass
>> window is another lovely upgrade on the NB!

> I've seen lots of plastic windowed tops around but assumed they were
> aftermarket. I didn't know the NA came with a plastic window. Why
> would Mazda have shipped that instead of glass?

Cheaper?

After bragging a couple of years ago that the plastic window in my '96 was
aside from a few scratches from neighborhood cats, virtrually new even
though I haven't uses the boot or a window protector since the first year or
so. That was the kiss of dearg, of course. Since then it has browned
severely, and last winter, in freezing window I poked it with something and
it cracked in several places.

I've found a place that says they will remove the top, stitch in a new
plastic window and replace the top for $150. That seems too good to be
true, but that's what they said.

Old December 14th 09, 01:00 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
miker[_2_]

>> ?? Have I just been lucky?
>
> Yes.

Sounds like it. I've brushed mine off a few times with no bad effect, but
mine normally sits in a garage and doesn't often get snow build-up, so it's
rare I have to brush it off. I'll be more careful in the future.

miker

Old December 14th 09, 03:55 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

Grant Edwards wrote:

> Plastic is a lot cheaper and lighter.

It's not why they used it, but only a plastic window will fit under the
HDHC double-diagonal roll-bar.

In fact, this roll-bar will not work with a hardtop either, so I haven't
worried about one in 5 years.
Even in Texas, the idea of having a hardtop for at least a month or two
was nice, when I had a Miata with A/C installed, but I really don't know
how often I would use it.

We got up to over 70 degrees yesterday, with perfect clear skies, so I
would have removed a hardtop for that if I were driving far.
Today looks to be the same, but we did set some record lows for the
central Texas area recently.

If I had a PRHT-equipped Miata, I would use it almost every day, just
because I like it both as a convertible and a coupe depending on whether
or not I want a wind blast for that drive.
I have still not heard of a PRHT breaking yet, though it almost has to
have happened. Pretty impressive.

Pat