Another M50 chain snaps!

Old December 20th 04, 10:16 AM
John Burns

Default Another M50 chain snaps!

You may recall my mate's 525iX 93 broke it's timing chain the other
week. Well yesterday a guy contacted me to say his M50 320i 92 did the
same thing. Let's hope it's not a trend!

Email: , John G.Burns B.Eng, Bonny Scotland
Web :
http://www.unixnerd.demon.co.uk - The Ultimate BMW Homepage!
Old December 20th 04, 02:38 PM
Al Floer

How many miles one the mishaps? I do know chains do not last for ever, but
still a trend to watch.

Thanks

Al

There is a solution!"

http://mail.spaminspector.com

Old December 20th 04, 06:06 PM
JB

"John Burns" > wrote in message
> You may recall my mate's 525iX 93 broke it's timing chain the other
> week. Well yesterday a guy contacted me to say his M50 320i 92 did the
> same thing. Let's hope it's not a trend!

Bloody Hell John! This will now give me sleeepless nights! My E34 with
341,800 miles on it, has the original chain and is certainly getting some
'therapy' at the moment. I use some really nice back roads near the
Dorset/Wilts border which actively encourage 'spirited' driving, and
although not too fast, I do like to keep the revs on. Who needs a stereo
when you have a straight six?
Have a good one.

JB

Old December 20th 04, 07:46 PM
Ashley Meson

"John Burns" > wrote in message
> You may recall my mate's 525iX 93 broke it's timing chain the other
> week. Well yesterday a guy contacted me to say his M50 320i 92 did the
> same thing. Let's hope it's not a trend!

I have an e46 325ci but still use my old faithfull retired e36 325i coupe
for fun as its more of a drivers car. Its got 145k on it now on original
chain, whats involved in changing the timing chain?

Ive just spent nearly a 1000 quid getting it sorted as the water pump went
and took the head gasket!

<nervous feel an autotrader ad coming soon!!>

Cheers

Ash

Old December 20th 04, 11:01 PM
JB

"Ashley Meson" > wrote in message

> "John Burns" > wrote in message
> > You may recall my mate's 525iX 93 broke it's timing chain the other
> > week. Well yesterday a guy contacted me to say his M50 320i 92 did the
> > same thing. Let's hope it's not a trend!
> >

> I have an e46 325ci but still use my old faithfull retired e36 325i coupe
> for fun as its more of a drivers car. Its got 145k on it now on original
> chain, whats involved in changing the timing chain?
>
> Ive just spent nearly a 1000 quid getting it sorted as the water pump went
> and took the head gasket!
>
> <nervous feel an autotrader ad coming soon!!>

What are you planning on asking for the old beast? My SO is going to be
shopping for an E36 soon (even if she doesn't yet know it!). Email me off
group if you prefer.
cheers,
JB

Old December 21st 04, 10:18 PM
John Burns

> although not too fast, I do like to keep the revs on. Who needs a stereo
> when you have a straight six?

On an M42 ;-) Stereo on my E30 has been replaced by vdo gauges!

BTW I changed the M42s chain at 130k. Previous had run it too long on a
worn tensioner (known M42 fault) and it was noisy when cold.

Current M50 theory is that running them low on oil MAY damage a tappet.
Tappet MAY cause a valve to drop or cause the camshaft to be overly
stiff to turn => chain failure. Only a theory.

Old December 21st 04, 10:20 PM
John Burns

> I have an e46 325ci but still use my old faithfull retired e36 325i coupe
> for fun as its more of a drivers car. Its got 145k on it now on original
> chain, whats involved in changing the timing chain?

I did the M42s. It's not a dreadful job. Say a whole day's labour for an
amateur. A bearing puller to remove stiff pulleys and an extra large
torque wrench for the crankshaft nut help.