replace/mod oem headlights ?

Old January 11th 05, 03:23 PM

Default replace/mod oem headlights ?

i would like to know if oem headlights can be replaced with "driving
lights"... is this legal on the road?

i have searched over my state [ohio] vehicle laws and cannot find
anything that really states in detail...

i have a vehicle with one headlight assembly bad, and needs to be
replaced... i have thought that, if it is legal, i would pull the other
headlight assembly, and install, and align, .... projector type
"driving lights" on both sides...

has anyone done this type of mod and how did it go? if you can...
post here... any comments are appreciated!
thx!

z <><

in northern ohio

Old January 11th 05, 04:08 PM
Daniel J. Stern

On Tue, 11 Jan 2005, z wrote:

> i would like to know if oem headlights can be replaced with "driving
> lights"... is this legal on the road?

No, it is not legal. What you are calling "driving lights" are properly
known as auxiliary high-beam headlamps. They are not safe or legal to use
in place of low beams or in place of regular high beams.

> i have a vehicle with one headlight assembly bad, and needs to be
> replaced... i have thought that, if it is legal, i would pull the other
> headlight assembly, and install, and align, .... projector type
> "driving lights" on both sides...

This is a poor idea. The beam pattern from a driving light or a fog light
is not safe or adequate for use as a low beam or a high beam. If you
cannot afford a new headlamp assembly, buy a used one. www.car-part.com ,
searchable used auto parts nationwide.