What's with the harsh ride on my '02?

Old December 9th 04, 09:56 PM
knagy389us

Default What's with the harsh ride on my '02?

I run the OEM Michelin Cross terrains on my '02 and man does it ride rough.
Bone jarring some times, have to check my filling after a while. (I really
miss the air ride of my Expedition) I run the 32/35 recommended psi's.
Anyone remedy this with shocks and/or tire change?

Ken
2002 XLS 4x4

Old December 10th 04, 03:53 AM
Big Bill

On Thu, 09 Dec 2004 16:56:36 -0500, "knagy389us"
> wrote:

>I run the OEM Michelin Cross terrains on my '02 and man does it ride rough.
> Bone jarring some times, have to check my filling after a while. (I really
>miss the air ride of my Expedition) I run the 32/35 recommended psi's.
>Anyone remedy this with shocks and/or tire change?
>
>Ken
>2002 XLS 4x4

I have the Cross Terrains on my Expedition.
I foiund that they are a little stiffer than the ones I had before
(LTX M&S); they acted as though the shocks were shot (nope, brand
new); on Bott's Dots, they would bounce like bad shocks.
Took them from 35 on the front to 32, and solved the problem. Still
handle great, and still give about .9 mpg better than the LTX's.

--
Bill Funk
Change "g" to "a"
Old December 10th 04, 01:32 PM
knagy389us

Maybe I'll have to fool around with the psi's a bit. Other than that, they
do handle well (wet & dry), and coupled with the independant suspension,
which my Exped. didn't have, makes for a nice ride.

Ken

Old December 15th 04, 12:22 AM
Some Dude

on that note, whats a good overall psi for a 2002 fe when you have
snow on the ground 24/7..usually packed hard. less air, right?

On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 08:32:21 -0500, "knagy389us"
> wrote:

>Maybe I'll have to fool around with the psi's a bit. Other than that, they
>do handle well (wet & dry), and coupled with the independant suspension,
>which my Exped. didn't have, makes for a nice ride.
>
>Ken

Cheers,
-sd
http://www.zoom.sh
Old December 15th 04, 02:00 AM
Hairy

"Some Dude" > wrote in message
> on that note, whats a good overall psi for a 2002 fe when you have
> snow on the ground 24/7..usually packed hard. less air, right?

I'd go with Ford's recommendation. Suv's don't do well with underinflated
tires.

Old December 15th 04, 02:14 PM
Big Shoe

One guess here is that your new tires are rated for greater load than
the original tires. On my '05, the load rating is 105, I know some of
the Michelins are rated 109. One change to get the higher rating is
that the sidewalls are stiffer, making for a harder ride. I learned
this when I put LTX M/S tires on my '99 and found out it rode harder.

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 20:00:49 -0600, "Hairy" > wrote:

.. .

Old December 16th 04, 02:47 AM
Craig

I also have an XLS with the same problem - and I have noticed the same
complaint from at least a half dozen different posts over the last few
months.

I never noticed if anyone figured out why the ride is horrible - or if
replacment shocks or tires helped.

I sure would like to know though.

lkaboutautos.com...

Old December 17th 04, 05:54 PM
Some Dude

figured that much..thanks

Wheel Size and Ride Comfort? Bob BMW 4 December 23rd 04 02:00 PM
stock ride height Damjan MozetiÄ VW air cooled 3 December 4th 04 10:05 PM
97 EB Automatic Ride Control suspension David E.B. Smith Ford Explorer 0 October 25th 04 01:25 AM
Jeep Grand Cherokee - Rough Ride Josh 4x4 4 August 26th 04 07:26 AM
need ride to IUPUI on Feb 3rd Deming Mi General 0 January 30th 04 07:41 PM