4.0 SOHC Tranny oil change 50KKm or 250Kkm?

Old November 17th 04, 02:47 AM
Peter

Default 4.0 SOHC Tranny oil change 50KKm or 250Kkm?

Ford's "Scheduled Maintenance Service Guide" indicates that for 1996
to 2004 the explorer 4.0 only needs "transmission service" every
250Kkm! That's about 155,000 miles! It goes on to list a nunmer if
transmissions and vehicles which do require fluid change at 50Kkm.
Guess what wasn't there. No indication of the explorer 4.0! So my
question.....Where is it written that I should have this service done
every 50Kkm? I'm all for maintenance but I don't change my motor oil
every 1000 Kkm which is the same 1/5 the schedule as 50K is to 250K.
My Ford dealer said that this was a misprint. Ford, misprint? What
gives? Is the dealer trying to pull one over on me?
Old November 17th 04, 04:00 AM
DriveSpy

I don't know about those before, but the 2002's and later are rated 150,000
miles on the auto transmission fluid change interval for non-severe service.
My dealer tried to sell me a trans flush at 30,000 miles for the 2002. I think
thats overkill for the way I drive. I'll reconsider at a later date.
Old November 17th 04, 05:24 AM
Jim Warman

It may be surprising as to what may or may not be considered "severe
service". While I currently have reservations about 'flushing', when it
comes to a fluid exchange with a filter change..... sooner is much better
than too late - (oops, I think I meant later).

Yes, I will try and sell service operations..... if I didn't believe that
they would reduce your overall cost per mile, I wouldn't bother. There are
only so many customers to be had... giving them good service for dollar
spent keeps them coming back.

Sad to say, some of my biggest problem customers are the ones that try to
guide the diagnostic and maintenance procedures. Early and/or repeat
failures in the name of economy aren't economical. Personally, I treat each
customers vehicle as my own.... "What would I do if this were mine???". Bear
in mind that I turn my family loose in my vehicles and do not think that
breakdown calls are fun.

Of course, I can understand your reticence at some points since you Yanks
are ever so busy trying to bend each other over the desk.......

Old November 17th 04, 05:51 AM
John Riggs

Which brings me to a couple of questions for you, Jim.

My '92 EB has suddenly taken to having the "Check Engine" light come on.
This vehicle has also taken to vibrating a little on acceleration, then
smoothing out about 35 - 40 mph.

Since I have already changed the oil, filter ( air and oil ), the
antifreeze, lubed 1000 miles ago, transmission replaced 11 months ago, what
is causing my frustration?

-- John

Old November 17th 04, 07:00 AM
Jim Warman

Honestly, without knowing what the CEL is trying to tell us, we are just
shooting into the dark. We need to know the codes and the exact
circumstances to decide if the CEL and the vibration are connected or
exclusive to each other.

The modern automobile has become so complicated that it is difficult to
decide which rout to follow in our diagnosis. Certainly, there are "pattern"
failures that are extremely predictable.... in symptom and in codes
retrieved. In other cases we have to decide f the code is the cause of the
problem or a symptom of the problem.

At this time I can only suggest having the codes read, making a note of them
and clearing them. When the problem recurs, have the codes read ASAP to see
which came back first. The computer on your desk is nowhere near as
complicated as the computer you drive to work each day....

Old November 17th 04, 09:44 AM
John Riggs

Actually, auto computers aren't all that bad to work on, but it would
sure help to read the codes. I was hoping you could tell me because my
Chilton and Haynes manuals tell me nothing except what the codes mean....and
I don't have a OBD I readers. I don't even know where to get one or how much
it will run me. The fun part is that the light is an intermittent thing, so
no pattern I can see to it. The vibration is only when rapidly accelerating.
If I ease into it it doesn't happen.

"Jim Warman" > wrote in message
| Honestly, without knowing what the CEL is trying to tell us, we are just
| shooting into the dark. We need to know the codes and the exact
| circumstances to decide if the CEL and the vibration are connected or
| exclusive to each other.
|
| The modern automobile has become so complicated that it is difficult to
| decide which rout to follow in our diagnosis. Certainly, there are
"pattern"
| failures that are extremely predictable.... in symptom and in codes
| retrieved. In other cases we have to decide f the code is the cause of the
| problem or a symptom of the problem.
|
| At this time I can only suggest having the codes read, making a note of
them
| and clearing them. When the problem recurs, have the codes read ASAP to
see
| which came back first. The computer on your desk is nowhere near as
| complicated as the computer you drive to work each day....
|

| "John Riggs" > wrote in message
| > Which brings me to a couple of questions for you, Jim.
| >
| > My '92 EB has suddenly taken to having the "Check Engine" light come
| > on.
| > This vehicle has also taken to vibrating a little on acceleration, then
| > smoothing out about 35 - 40 mph.
| >
| > Since I have already changed the oil, filter ( air and oil ), the
| > antifreeze, lubed 1000 miles ago, transmission replaced 11 months ago,
| > what
| > is causing my frustration?
| >
| > -- John
| >

| > "Jim Warman" > wrote in message
| > | It may be surprising as to what may or may not be considered "severe
| > | service". While I currently have reservations about 'flushing', when
it
| > | comes to a fluid exchange with a filter change..... sooner is much
| > better
| > | than too late - (oops, I think I meant later).
| > |
| > | Yes, I will try and sell service operations..... if I didn't believe
| > that
| > | they would reduce your overall cost per mile, I wouldn't bother. There
| > are
| > | only so many customers to be had... giving them good service for
dollar
| > | spent keeps them coming back.
| > |
| > | Sad to say, some of my biggest problem customers are the ones that try
| > | guide the diagnostic and maintenance procedures. Early and/or repeat
| > | failures in the name of economy aren't economical. Personally, I treat
| > each
| > | customers vehicle as my own.... "What would I do if this were
mine???".
| > Bear
| > | in mind that I turn my family loose in my vehicles and do not think
that
| > | breakdown calls are fun.
| > |

Old November 17th 04, 11:29 AM
Paul Scrutton

JC Whitney or most auto parts places can sell you the appropriate reader.

Paul

Old November 18th 04, 12:52 AM
Peter

I'm not sure if the 2002 is any different than my 2001 Sport SOHC, but
why the two storys directly from Ford, and which one is correct? Is it
because it is not quite as cut and dry as numbers on a page? Does the
concern Ford mechanic know something which the corporation doesn't
want to admit? Or it is that being up to your elbows in engine and
transmissions for years you soon relize what works regardless of what
is reccomended. As for "severe service", well, if driving in Canadain
summers/winters, 20 miles Hw/day, tow my 2500# boat 60 miles twice a
year, then I can't emagine what light duty would be. Am I wrong? Jim,
with your experience, would you agree that I should get this service
done? you know, second opinions and all...

Old November 18th 04, 02:23 AM
Jim Warman

I would go with the service sans chemicals..... expect anywhere up to near
20 litres of Mercon V for a good job (inclding filter change). The mere
mention of towing puts you into the realm of "severe service". Add in our
cold climate and we are pushing the envelope.

One reason for regular service (likely the main reason) is the sheer cost of
repairing or replacing. Back in the day of the old PowerGlide, C4, FMX and
so on, transmission replacement was injurious to the pocketbook.... but
certainly not on the scale of their modern counterparts. Technology s
exacting a high price on our wallets.

Unlike older units which were generally "overbuilt", the bean counters and
engineers have goten together and are designing the cheapest, lightest
design to handle expected loads and still perform the functions required.

om...