Ok...I've got a little over a year to think this one over...

Old October 11th 04, 05:34 PM
Anthony

Default Ok...I've got a little over a year to think this one over...

Hello everyone. I have been lurking around this board for the last
couple of weeks searching the archives and new messages for as much
information as I can find on Miatas. Here's the deal. In a little
over a year, maybe a year and a half, I intend to buy my first real
sports car, a Miata. I've considered many different kinds of cars,
but it had to be small, rear-drive and handle well. I don't care
about brute power, I just want enough to zip around some mountain
roads. I looked at Porsche 924s and 944s, but the parts cost too
much. I do ALL my own maintenance work, and save huge amounts of
money, but even the parts for those Porsches were too expensive. I
love Porsches, so that made me sad. Anyway, then I started
considering Miatas. Now I find myself pointing them out to my fiancee
and myself every time I see one. They are truly gorgeous little cars!
Anyway, for a considering first time buyer, here's a few questions:

1. Right now, I own a '73 Beetle. Heavily modified with roll bars,
wide tires, Porsche rims, modified 1600DP engine. Fun as hell,
handles great, but I spend too much time maintaining it, it's a little
too slow, and it runs...well not so great in the winter time. The
carb is finicky when it's cold becuase the manifold heat doesn't work
right. I need to run full tune-ups and oil changes on it every 2000
miles! When i graduate in about 1.5 years, I won't have the time to
do that kind of work anymore. How much maintenance are we talking for
a Miata? What is the expected life of the average Miata engine?
200,000 miles?

2. I want the Miata as a daily driver, and it will be parked in lots
very often, so I want a hardtop for it. What hardtops fit what years?
Does one hardtop fit everything?

3. How expensive are parts, generally? I'm used to cheap parts for
an aircooled VW....except for performance parts; good ones cost SO
much. (of course, that's all I've put on my '73!)

4. I'm 6'2". I've read a lot of posts about tall drivers here, and
it looks like someone with my build (very slim, but legs and arms are
proportional to height) will just fit in a Miata as long as it was
made before 99. I don't like the exposed headlights of post '99
models anyway, so good for me. Is this pretty accurate? What about
the seat foam thing?

5. That being said, what models should I consider? I'll probably be
able to spend about $4000 on it, so I assume that narrows my search to
higher millage cars from the '90-'95 era; those are the ones with the
1.6 liter engine right?

6. How much millage is too much? As long as it was well taken care
of, 100,000 miles doesn't seem like much to one of these little cars.

7. I used to own a '93 Ford Festiva. It used a Mazda engine, I
beleive it was called the B3; 1.3 liters of SOHC fury. (haha) Looking
in the engine bays of Miatas reminds me very much of that Festiva,
except the Festiva's engine was mounted transversely. That Festiva
made it up to 150,000 miles before I got rid of it becuase some b**ch
crashed into me at my highschool graduation. The car was said to be
totaled, looked horrible, but still drove well. I gave it to a friend
for free. I saw it driving around about two years ago, which was a
year after my highschool graduation. So apparently it's still
running. HOWEVER, it had a problem with the ignition circuit were the
rotor in the distributor would crack like every 30,000 miles and you'd
be stranded. $$ to fix. The other problem was that the exhuast seemed
to rust out very fast too. What common problems do Miatas have?

8. Finally (thanks for reading!) is this a good car for someone my
age to consider? (I'm 21 and will probably be 23 by the time I can get
a Miata) Driving is not just a means of reaching a location to me.
The best parts of every day for me are the drives there and back! I
need a standard tranny and good handling with moderate power to have
fun. I'm not your usual college idiot. I never drink to get drunk, I
never drive after drinking, and like I said, I do all my own work on
my cars, which I take VERY good care of. Unfortunately, I can't say
the same for a lot of my friends (who would never touch my cars).

Thanks

~Anthony
Old October 11th 04, 08:00 PM
Iva

Anthony wrote:
> Hello everyone. I have been lurking around this board for the

last
> couple of weeks searching the archives and new messages for as

much
> information as I can find on Miatas. Here's the deal. In a

little
> over a year, maybe a year and a half, I intend to buy my first

real
> sports car, a Miata.

<snippage>
Well, you've certainly picked the right car! As Lanny, said,
spend some quality time over at www.miata.net, particularly the
section on buying a used Miata.

I'll toss in some answers to your questions as well....

> 1. Right now, I own a '73 Beetle. Heavily modified with roll

bars,
> wide tires, Porsche rims, modified 1600DP engine. Fun as hell,
> handles great, but I spend too much time maintaining it, it's a

little
> too slow, and it runs...well not so great in the winter time.

The
> carb is finicky when it's cold becuase the manifold heat

doesn't work
> right. I need to run full tune-ups and oil changes on it every

2000
> miles! When i graduate in about 1.5 years, I won't have the

time to
> do that kind of work anymore. How much maintenance are we

talking for
> a Miata? What is the expected life of the average Miata

engine?
> 200,000 miles?

There are Miata "out there" with over 225,000. My 90 has just
under 99,000. Changing the oil every 3,000 miles helps these
little engines keep going virtually forever. And the heater!
I've actually turned the heater OFF in the winter 'cause the
cockpit got too warm. Put 4 snowtires on your Miata, and keep
going through the winter - as long as there's not more than 6" of
powder - Miata do not make good snowplows.

> 2. I want the Miata as a daily driver, and it will be parked

in lots
> very often, so I want a hardtop for it. What hardtops fit what

years?
> Does one hardtop fit everything?

The hardtops will fit every year. They also make the car warmer
in the winter.

> 3. How expensive are parts, generally? I'm used to cheap

parts for
> an aircooled VW....except for performance parts; good ones cost

SO
> much. (of course, that's all I've put on my '73!)

Take a look at the vendors in the marketplace at miata.net for
price comparisons. I've found that parts ordered through there
*usually* cost less than at my local dealership. And they're
cheaper than Volvo parts (our Miata Support Vehicle).

> 4. I'm 6'2". I've read a lot of posts about tall drivers

here, and
> it looks like someone with my build (very slim, but legs and

arms are
> proportional to height) will just fit in a Miata as long as it

was
> made before 99. I don't like the exposed headlights of post

'99
> models anyway, so good for me. Is this pretty accurate? What

about
> the seat foam thing?

The older models do have more interior room. I just drove a
friend's 99 the other day and my legs were not comfortable - felt
like the dead pedal was set way higher than in my 90. I'm
somewhat vertically challenged so I leave the rest of this to a
taller poster.

> 5. That being said, what models should I consider? I'll

probably be
> able to spend about $4000 on it, so I assume that narrows my

search to
> higher millage cars from the '90-'95 era; those are the ones

with the
> 1.6 liter engine right?

Look around a lot. Drive LOTS of different Miata. You'll know
when you find *your* car.

And don't put down the 90-95 models - they just keep chugging
along.

> 6. How much millage is too much? As long as it was well taken

care
> of, 100,000 miles doesn't seem like much to one of these little

cars.

Make sure to ask for maintenance records. I keep a notebook with
my oil changes, filter changes, parts added, etc. That's the
best way to *know* if the car has been maintained.

> 7.<snippage> What common problems do Miatas have?

Rainy weather. Seriously, some of the earlier models had a
problem with the short crank. Again, more info on miata.net.

> 8. Finally (thanks for reading!) is this a good car for

someone my
> age to consider? (I'm 21 and will probably be 23 by the time I

can get
> a Miata) Driving is not just a means of reaching a location to

me.
> The best parts of every day for me are the drives there and

back! I
> need a standard tranny and good handling with moderate power to

have
> fun. I'm not your usual college idiot. I never drink to get

drunk, I
> never drive after drinking, and like I said, I do all my own

work on
> my cars, which I take VERY good care of. Unfortunately, I

can't say
> the same for a lot of my friends (who would never touch my

cars).

The Miata is a *very* good car for you to consider. They are
reliable and FUN TO DRIVE!!!

Since you've got a "little over a year", spend it at
www.miata.net

And make sure to stop back in and let us know what Miata snared
you! Just remember, red is the fastest color. ;-D

--
Iva & Belle.)
'90B Classic Red.)
#3 winkin' Miata

Old October 11th 04, 10:33 PM
jchase

Anthony wrote:
> In a little
> over a year, maybe a year and a half, I intend to buy my first real
> sports car, a Miata.

Wonderful decision!

> How much maintenance are we talking for
> a Miata? What is the expected life of the average Miata engine?
> 200,000 miles?

Regular oil changes; brakes at some point (depends on how aggressively
you drive); timing belt at 60,000; new top someday. Miatas are notably
durable even beyond 100,000 miles.

> 2. I want the Miata as a daily driver, and it will be parked in lots
> very often, so I want a hardtop for it. What hardtops fit what years?
> Does one hardtop fit everything?

All factory hardtops fit all 1990-2004 at least; not sure if all
aftermarket units fit. Very nice in winter, for the large window, and
not having to be quite as careful when brushing off snow.

> 3. How expensive are parts, generally? I'm used to cheap parts for
> an aircooled VW....except for performance parts; good ones cost SO
> much. (of course, that's all I've put on my '73!)

Front and rear brakes (parts and labor) $400; replace electric antenna
lift $170; console lid (part only) $80. You'll not get anywhere near
this level of economy with a Porshe or Audi. This is the total list of
what I've done to my '99 in five years of daily use (Also snow tires on
rims, $425, and new summer tires $380)

> 4. I'm 6'2". I've read a lot of posts about tall drivers here, and
> it looks like someone with my build (very slim, but legs and arms are
> proportional to height) will just fit in a Miata as long as it was
> made before 99. I don't like the exposed headlights of post '99
> models anyway, so good for me. Is this pretty accurate? What about
> the seat foam thing?

Lots of argument about the various years and the seat changes. Our
local club has several very tall guys in both M1 and M2 (post-99) models

> 5. That being said, what models should I consider? I'll probably be
> able to spend about $4000 on it, so I assume that narrows my search to
> higher millage cars from the '90-'95 era; those are the ones with the
> 1.6 liter engine right?

Depending on the time of year, you may be able to go newer. The 1994
was the first year of the 1800cc engine.

> 6. How much millage is too much? As long as it was well taken care
> of, 100,000 miles doesn't seem like much to one of these little cars.

You can get a lot of service out of a 100,000 mile car if its been well
maintained. If over 60000, make sure someone else paid to change the
timing belt already.

> 8. Finally (thanks for reading!) is this a good car for someone my
> age to consider? (I'm 21 and will probably be 23 by the time I can get
> a Miata) Driving is not just a means of reaching a location to me.

That last sentence is the whole reason the Miata exists!
Its also relatively easy to insure due to the modest performance- its
not known for attracting knucklehead driver.

Just make sure you've got a friend with a van or pickup- you can't move
furniture or take the gang tailgating in a Miata.

Have fun
Joe
Silver '99

Old October 11th 04, 10:46 PM
Alan Baker

In article >,
(Anthony) wrote:

> Hello everyone. I have been lurking around this board for the last
> couple of weeks searching the archives and new messages for as much
> information as I can find on Miatas. Here's the deal. In a little
> over a year, maybe a year and a half, I intend to buy my first real
> sports car, a Miata. I've considered many different kinds of cars,
> but it had to be small, rear-drive and handle well. I don't care
> about brute power, I just want enough to zip around some mountain
> roads. I looked at Porsche 924s and 944s, but the parts cost too
> much. I do ALL my own maintenance work, and save huge amounts of
> money, but even the parts for those Porsches were too expensive. I
> love Porsches, so that made me sad. Anyway, then I started
> considering Miatas. Now I find myself pointing them out to my fiancee
> and myself every time I see one. They are truly gorgeous little cars!
> Anyway, for a considering first time buyer, here's a few questions:
>
> 1. Right now, I own a '73 Beetle. Heavily modified with roll bars,
> wide tires, Porsche rims, modified 1600DP engine. Fun as hell,
> handles great, but I spend too much time maintaining it, it's a little
> too slow, and it runs...well not so great in the winter time. The
> carb is finicky when it's cold becuase the manifold heat doesn't work
> right. I need to run full tune-ups and oil changes on it every 2000
> miles! When i graduate in about 1.5 years, I won't have the time to
> do that kind of work anymore. How much maintenance are we talking for
> a Miata? What is the expected life of the average Miata engine?
> 200,000 miles?

Based on my experience, you'll be doing very little maintenance. Regular
oil/fluid changes, of course, but I've had one for 12 years and all
that's ever gone wrong has been bad plug wires (easy) and a clutch that
started to slip (harder, but only necessary because I didn't take care
of the plug wires when I should have). Oh, and I finally had to change
to catalytic convertor.

For a whole lot of great information, check out miata.net.

> 2. I want the Miata as a daily driver, and it will be parked in lots
> very often, so I want a hardtop for it. What hardtops fit what years?
> Does one hardtop fit everything?
>
> 3. How expensive are parts, generally? I'm used to cheap parts for
> an aircooled VW....except for performance parts; good ones cost SO
> much. (of course, that's all I've put on my '73!)

I haven't had to replace much...

> 4. I'm 6'2". I've read a lot of posts about tall drivers here, and
> it looks like someone with my build (very slim, but legs and arms are
> proportional to height) will just fit in a Miata as long as it was
> made before 99. I don't like the exposed headlights of post '99
> models anyway, so good for me. Is this pretty accurate? What about
> the seat foam thing?
>
> 5. That being said, what models should I consider? I'll probably be
> able to spend about $4000 on it, so I assume that narrows my search to
> higher millage cars from the '90-'95 era; those are the ones with the
> 1.6 liter engine right?

Yup.

> 6. How much millage is too much? As long as it was well taken care
> of, 100,000 miles doesn't seem like much to one of these little cars.
>
> 7. I used to own a '93 Ford Festiva. It used a Mazda engine, I
> beleive it was called the B3; 1.3 liters of SOHC fury. (haha) Looking
> in the engine bays of Miatas reminds me very much of that Festiva,
> except the Festiva's engine was mounted transversely. That Festiva
> made it up to 150,000 miles before I got rid of it becuase some b**ch
> crashed into me at my highschool graduation. The car was said to be
> totaled, looked horrible, but still drove well. I gave it to a friend
> for free. I saw it driving around about two years ago, which was a
> year after my highschool graduation. So apparently it's still
> running. HOWEVER, it had a problem with the ignition circuit were the
> rotor in the distributor would crack like every 30,000 miles and you'd
> be stranded. $$ to fix. The other problem was that the exhuast seemed
> to rust out very fast too. What common problems do Miatas have?

There's a problem where some of the early ones had a crankshaft where
the nose of it would break. Not good, but I don't know the secret for
determining which is which. It can probably be found at miata.net.

> 8. Finally (thanks for reading!) is this a good car for someone my
> age to consider? (I'm 21 and will probably be 23 by the time I can get
> a Miata) Driving is not just a means of reaching a location to me.
> The best parts of every day for me are the drives there and back! I
> need a standard tranny and good handling with moderate power to have
> fun. I'm not your usual college idiot. I never drink to get drunk, I
> never drive after drinking, and like I said, I do all my own work on
> my cars, which I take VERY good care of. Unfortunately, I can't say
> the same for a lot of my friends (who would never touch my cars).

This is *precisely* the car for you!

--
Alan Baker
Vancouver, British Columbia
Old October 12th 04, 01:00 AM
Leon van Dommelen

(Anthony) wrote:

>do that kind of work anymore. How much maintenance are we talking for
>a Miata?

Not too much. Timing belts 60 kmi, clutch slave occasionally,
clutch very occasionally, battery extremely occasionally, etc,
all if handled correctly and typically.

> What is the expected life of the average Miata engine?
>200,000 miles?

I have had an aftermarket supercharger on the car for 120+ kmi.

>3. How expensive are parts, generally? I'm used to cheap parts for
>an aircooled VW....except for performance parts; good ones cost SO
>much. (of course, that's all I've put on my '73!)

Miata parts are very reasonable. trussvillemazda.com will give about
a 25% discount in addition.

>the seat foam thing?

Fit depends on your precise dimensions. Try sitting in one and
find out.

>5. That being said, what models should I consider? I'll probably be
>able to spend about $4000 on it, so I assume that narrows my search to
>higher millage cars from the '90-'95 era; those are the ones with the
>1.6 liter engine right?

1.8l is 94 model year up. Don't forget the hardtop might cost you $800
or whatever at least.

>to rust out very fast too. What common problems do Miatas have?

As mentioned, in your range, the short crank of the 1990 Miatas
is something serious to consider. The other unexpected thing I
can think of right now is the clutch slave, which costs little,
especially if you do it yourself. Deer, excursions in the ditch,
being crashed into, being shot at, being stoned, and similar cost
more. Aftermarket goodies may exceed that.

Leon

http://www.dommelen.net/miata
EXIT THE INTERSTATES (Jamie Jensen)
Old October 12th 04, 03:37 AM
Anthony

> Just make sure you've got a friend with a van or pickup- you can't move
> furniture or take the gang tailgating in a Miata.
>
> Have fun
> Joe
> Silver '99
> > Thanks

Haha...my fiancee has a Land Rover Discovery. Not a problem with
hauling stuff around. Anyway, I've never driven anything but small
cars. First car, Ford Festiva, second, VW aircooled Beetle, third
will hopefully be the Miata. Thanks so much for the courteous replies
and good information. I've run into too many automotive boards on the
'net full of morons that just tell you "what?! You want a Miata?
Those pieces of **** are slow chick cars!" I fully intend to spend
the next year finding out as much as I can from miata.net, this board
and various other locations I know are out there somewhere.

On a different note, these cars are even a blast to drive on Gran
Turismo 3! (hey, got to procrastinate some how).

~Anthony
Old October 12th 04, 04:38 PM
Natman

On 11 Oct 2004 09:34:39 -0700, (Anthony)
wrote:

>Hello everyone. I have been lurking around this board for the last
>couple of weeks searching the archives and new messages for as much
>information as I can find on Miatas. Here's the deal. In a little
>over a year, maybe a year and a half, I intend to buy my first real
>sports car, a Miata. I've considered many different kinds of cars,
>but it had to be small, rear-drive and handle well. I don't care
>about brute power, I just want enough to zip around some mountain
>roads. I looked at Porsche 924s and 944s, but the parts cost too
>much. I do ALL my own maintenance work, and save huge amounts of
>money, but even the parts for those Porsches were too expensive. I
>love Porsches, so that made me sad. Anyway, then I started
>considering Miatas. Now I find myself pointing them out to my fiancee
>and myself every time I see one. They are truly gorgeous little cars!
> Anyway, for a considering first time buyer, here's a few questions:
>
>1. Right now, I own a '73 Beetle. Heavily modified with roll bars,
>wide tires, Porsche rims, modified 1600DP engine. Fun as hell,
>handles great, but I spend too much time maintaining it, it's a little
>too slow, and it runs...well not so great in the winter time. The
>carb is finicky when it's cold becuase the manifold heat doesn't work
>right. I need to run full tune-ups and oil changes on it every 2000
>miles! When i graduate in about 1.5 years, I won't have the time to
>do that kind of work anymore. How much maintenance are we talking for
>a Miata? What is the expected life of the average Miata engine?
>200,000 miles?
>
>2. I want the Miata as a daily driver, and it will be parked in lots
>very often, so I want a hardtop for it. What hardtops fit what years?
> Does one hardtop fit everything?

Let me join the chorus and recommend miata.net. There is a hardtop FAQ
in the "Tops" forum that will answer this and many other questions.

>3. How expensive are parts, generally? I'm used to cheap parts for
>an aircooled VW....except for performance parts; good ones cost SO
>much. (of course, that's all I've put on my '73!)

There's nothing out there that has part prices as good as an
air-cooled VW, so you're in for a mild shock no matter what you get.
You will be FAR better of with a Miata than a Porsche!

>4. I'm 6'2". I've read a lot of posts about tall drivers here, and
>it looks like someone with my build (very slim, but legs and arms are
>proportional to height) will just fit in a Miata as long as it was
>made before 99. I don't like the exposed headlights of post '99
>models anyway, so good for me. Is this pretty accurate? What about
>the seat foam thing?
>
>5. That being said, what models should I consider? I'll probably be
>able to spend about $4000 on it, so I assume that narrows my search to
>higher millage cars from the '90-'95 era; those are the ones with the
>1.6 liter engine right?
>
>6. How much millage is too much? As long as it was well taken care
>of, 100,000 miles doesn't seem like much to one of these little cars.
>
>7. I used to own a '93 Ford Festiva. It used a Mazda engine, I
>beleive it was called the B3; 1.3 liters of SOHC fury. (haha) Looking
>in the engine bays of Miatas reminds me very much of that Festiva,
>except the Festiva's engine was mounted transversely. That Festiva
>made it up to 150,000 miles before I got rid of it becuase some b**ch
>crashed into me at my highschool graduation. The car was said to be
>totaled, looked horrible, but still drove well. I gave it to a friend
>for free. I saw it driving around about two years ago, which was a
>year after my highschool graduation. So apparently it's still
>running. HOWEVER, it had a problem with the ignition circuit were the
>rotor in the distributor would crack like every 30,000 miles and you'd
>be stranded. $$ to fix. The other problem was that the exhuast seemed
>to rust out very fast too. What common problems do Miatas have?

Again, miata.net

Old October 13th 04, 04:15 AM
Kenneth S.

I have a 1990 Miata that I bought more than 6 years ago. At that time
it had about 90,000 miles on it. I had never owned a convertible before,
and I was a little apprehensive about possible future costs of replacing the
top, as well as buying a high-mileage car.

However, I have been EXTREMELY pleased with the Miata. For about four
years, the only repair cost was to replace the backup light switch. Then I
had to have a new clutch, and recently a new timing belt. These have been
the only major repair costs, and they are items that would have to be
renewed in any car. The top is holding up very well -- partly, no doubt,
because I put the hardtop on during the winter months.

The car now has 135,000 miles on it, and the engine shows no sign of
wear -- it is not burning any oil for example. I use it every day, and
drive my other car (first, a Mercury Grand Marquis when I originally bought
the Miata, then a Saab 900, and now a Toyota Avalon) only for long trips,
and when I need more room than in the Miata. In my limited experience with
parts for the Miata, they do not seem expensive -- certainly not by
comparison with the Saab.

"Anthony" > wrote in message
om...
> [...]
> rotor in the distributor would crack like every 30,000 miles and you'd
> be stranded. $$ to fix. The other problem was that the exhuast seemed
> to rust out very fast too. What common problems do Miatas have?
>
> 8. Finally (thanks for reading!) is this a good car for someone my
> age to consider? (I'm 21 and will probably be 23 by the time I can get
> a Miata) Driving is not just a means of reaching a location to me.
> The best parts of every day for me are the drives there and back! I
> need a standard tranny and good handling with moderate power to have
> fun. I'm not your usual college idiot. I never drink to get drunk, I
> never drive after drinking, and like I said, I do all my own work on
> my cars, which I take VERY good care of. Unfortunately, I can't say
> the same for a lot of my friends (who would never touch my cars).

GA Tags for year model southeastvw VW air cooled 7 January 3rd 05 02:57 AM
New year chat? Olli Lammi VW air cooled 2 December 27th 04 03:29 AM
What year was it made? Boffer 4x4 0 December 18th 04 08:19 PM
Car of the Year Dan Larsen Chrysler 40 November 30th 04 05:50 PM