Passat coolant light is on

Old January 26th 05, 02:40 PM
bluejudy

Default Passat coolant light is on

My VW Passat coolant light (the one that looks like a thermometer with
a wave under it) came on during the cold snap the other day and came
on again today (it's very cold out again today).

1) On both occasions the radiator was full and the overflow level was
where it should be in that plastic thing.
2) The car did not overheat. As it heated up, the temp gauge went up
slowly as it should.
3) When I turned the car off and on again, that light went out.

My plea for answers:

1) What could cause this?
2) What should I do about it?
3) Is this causing damage to my car as long as the car does not
overheat (or, can I just forget about it and drive as usual)?

Thank you for any assistance,
Judy
Old January 26th 05, 03:50 PM
Matt B.

"bluejudy" > wrote in message
om...
> My VW Passat coolant light (the one that looks like a thermometer with a
> wave under it) came on during the cold snap the other day and came on
> again today (it's very cold out again today).
>
> 1) On both occasions the radiator was full and the overflow level was
> where it should be in that plastic thing.

Is it where it should be when it's cold or warm? It expands slightly when
warm so if the coolant is a little low when cold, triggering the light, and
then when you actually check it it's warm (and the level higher), that could
be the problem (low coolant but not obvious). Check the coolant level and
add coolant to the 'max' line when it's stone cold (sitting overnight) and
then see if that works. VW's coolant light senses a low coolant level and
it's very sensitive to it...the slightest bit low when cold can often
trigger it.

if a low coolant level was your problem, correct it but keep an eye on it.
If it keeps going low you have a leak somewhere.

> 3) When I turned the car off and on again, that light went out.

VWs are usually that way...they're programmed that once triggered the light
stays on until you turn the ignition off and on again.

Old January 26th 05, 04:10 PM
D. Dub

sensor glitch?

om...

Old January 27th 05, 12:39 AM
Erik Dillenkofer

I believe that VW has a "warning" that illuminates if the temperature is right for ice to form on the roadway ... but I'm not
positive. Might want to check the owner's manual and see.

Old January 27th 05, 12:44 AM
Nate Nagel

Also some cars have a *blue* light that lights up when the engine is
cold, but I believe that's only ones without a temperature gauge. I
remember getting a NB as a loaner once that had that light. I've never
seen a low temp warning on a VW but it is common on some other German
cars so they might have put it on the Passat.

nate

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel
Old January 27th 05, 07:45 AM
Matt B.

"Erik Dillenkofer" > wrote in message
>I believe that VW has a "warning" that illuminates if the temperature is
>right for ice to form on the roadway ... but I'm not positive. Might want
>to check the owner's manual and see.

that's possible (our BMW 3-series has that) but I doubt it'd be shared with
the coolant light.

Old January 27th 05, 12:08 PM
Iain Miller

"bluejudy" > wrote in message
om...
> My VW Passat coolant light (the one that looks like a thermometer with
> a wave under it) came on during the cold snap the other day and came
> on again today (it's very cold out again today).
>
> 1) On both occasions the radiator was full and the overflow level was
> where it should be in that plastic thing.
> 2) The car did not overheat. As it heated up, the temp gauge went up
> slowly as it should.
> 3) When I turned the car off and on again, that light went out.
>
> My plea for answers:
>
> 1) What could cause this?
> 2) What should I do about it?
> 3) Is this causing damage to my car as long as the car does not
> overheat (or, can I just forget about it and drive as usual)?

Coolant level sensor on the expansion tank. Mine went a while ago. It would
beep & the light would come on on a cold start & then it would go out when
the car reached operating temperature. If it is this you need to change the
whole expansion tank - you can't just change the sensor. Its not terribly
expensive.

I.

Old January 28th 05, 04:00 AM
jwlbal

The light on my 01 Beetle TDI came on immediately after starting the other
day, and it was maybe 15 degrees. I turned in so the sun was on the hood,
shut it off for awhile and it was fine when I tried it again.

om...

Old January 28th 05, 02:01 PM

Geez I hope I am not posting this twice. I find the "reply" function a
bit confusing.

I just want to say thank you to everyone for responding. You reassured
me that I am not putting my car into any immediate danger, but I guess
I need to go check things out with my mechanic.

Regards,
Judy