Dodge Caravan Brakes sticking

Old January 24th 05, 10:52 PM
Hans

Default Dodge Caravan Brakes sticking

My 99 caravan has a problem where the Brakes get "stuck". It happens
intermittentely...
I recently replaced both calipers, (I assumed they were frozen) because
of this problem. Now, it still happens...On one occasion, my wife came
out from shopping and noticed that the brake lights were lit (as if
someone was stepping on the brake peddle). Could this be a master
cylinder problem?

We rarely use the emergency brake, but I admit I havn't looked at the
rear brakes yet.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Old January 25th 05, 10:53 AM
Iron

Might be just your "Brake Light Switch" which is at the brake pedal...Some
are adjustable...Sounds like what is happening is the
Brake Light Switch is not keeping pressure on your Brake Pedal,Where by
keeping your Rear Brake Lights on...Easy Fix if that is the
problem.
Good Luck

oups.com...

Old January 25th 05, 04:37 PM
Hans

I thought of the brake light, it may be out of adjustment,
but I do have a brake problem. I've just never seen any kind of brake
component failure (other than frozen calipers) where the brakes lock
on.
My wife says that If she tucks her foot under the brake peddle and
pulls up the brakes will release.

I am going to flush the brake fluid out (once I learn how to do it).
I saw stories of putting Tranny fluid in the brakes and runing all the
seals.
we inadvertantly put some power stearing fluid in the brake resivoure
(less than a cup)...I was under the impression power stearing fluid was
compatible with brake fluid...My suspcion now is that I was mistaken.

Is there a tool to flush all the fluid? OR do I just add fluid till it
comes out clear?
What is a power flush? Is it better than DIY especially since I have
contaminated the brake fluid?

Old January 26th 05, 02:02 PM
Billy Bad Assr©

> My wife says that If she tucks her foot under the brake peddle and
> pulls up the brakes will release.

Sounds like a brake pedal or possibly a brake cable issue

> I am going to flush the brake fluid out (once I learn how to do it).
> I saw stories of putting Tranny fluid in the brakes and runing all the

Yikes!!! <Gasp>

> seals. we inadvertantly put some power stearing fluid in the brake resivoure
> (less than a cup)...I was under the impression power stearing fluid was

Power steering fluid = automatic transmission fluid = hydraulic fluid!!!!!!

> compatible with brake fluid...My suspcion now is that I was mistaken.
>
> Is there a tool to flush all the fluid?

A pressure bleeder!

> OR do I just add fluid till it comes out clear?

You can do that as well. Requires two individuals and additional time --
remember this >> brake fluid is some nasty stuff and may cause future health
issues!

> What is a power flush?

Entire brake system fluid replacement!

> Is it better than DIY especially since I have contaminated the brake fluid?

Yes -- if you added just one ounce of hydraulic fluid to the vehicles break
fluid reservoir!

I'd have to recommend that you rebuild your entire brake system i.e. front
calipers, rear brake cylinders as well as brake master cylinder!!

BBA

Old January 26th 05, 03:44 PM
Hans

Thanks for the detailed response!

I was going to do the "power flush" till I found out they flush the
system "the old fashioned way" I'll have to call the dealer and see if
they do something different.

I ended up flushing the system myself. My next question, If the brakes
seem to be working fine, should I still replace everything? Will the
contaminated seals (I understand they swell) go back to normal, or are
they now compromised, and could fail completely? I'm thinking already
I know the answer to this one....

1996 Dodge Grand Caravan LE AC/Heater Blower, Relay and Resistor Block Problems 101 HeadlessHorseman Dodge 0 January 5th 05 03:49 PM
dodge caravan brakes Steve Technology 1 December 19th 04 05:45 PM
2001 Dodge Caravan Brakes M K Dodge 8 August 16th 04 05:35 AM