EA-NSR Second Opionion after 5 hours of seriuos tweaking

Old January 24th 05, 06:11 PM
Larry

Default EA-NSR Second Opionion after 5 hours of seriuos tweaking

Ok... Let me start with this.

It has potential.

First off, there are a BILLION (with a B) settings in not only the Player
file, but in the wheel control files. Now all some one has to do is write a
manual for it

Now, as for car handling...

I spent 5 hours on the Las Vegas setup. So much for the Sunday Chores

Here are a few tips:

* Get RID of any Sterring Sensitivity settings you may have set. Set it for
50, which is neutral (dammit, I can't cough up the word for this I'm looking
for).

* The factory provided race setup is SO screwed up in SO many ways, it's
hard to know where to start. You need to adjust EVERYTHING.

* The weight is way too far forward. You gotta crank it back quite a bit.

* The Wedge is loading the RF too much. Remove some Wedge.

* The Track Bars are close, but you'll need to drop them after adjusting
the weight. Use an equal amount of drop to settle the car after you get the
weight jacked right, then adjust the split to get the car to turn in the way
you like.

* Tire pressures are close, but need tweaking.

* Camber, especialy the left front, is way off. It needs to be cranked up a
lot. Since we don't know yet what the sim 'wants' as far as tire temps, I
went with a basic (I-M-O) of 10 degree steps. For example I=220, M=210.
O=200 on the RF.

* The way the camber, tire pressures and weights are set in the provided
race setup, the LF might as well be off the ground. It is providing almost
NO grip to the race car.

* The standard settings for the Race Setup proficed has the front end
(particularly the RF) loaded beyond belief. This is why the car, out of the
box (so to say) heads for the wall at every turn. I can't believe they
released the setup with SO much weight jacked towards the front,
particularly the RF, and then hosed the pressures and camber on top of that.

* Watch your front springs. Don't go below 650 on either. If you find
yourself launching for the wall all of a sudden just before the apex, and
don't understand why, it's because you are BOTTOMING OUT! The sound is so
screwed up in the Demo that you can't hear this when it happens, but it is
there!

I have not gotten around to tweaking the shocks, etc. I've been
concentrating on getting the car turning and stable, THEN I'll go after
speed. I did pull out the LF Fender to get the LF working. I might back
off on that after further testing.

Now, as for the controller....

I do NOT like the way FF in this SIM works. I've learned a little better
what it is trying to tell me, but there are serious problems (at least with
the MSFFW). You can increase the FF level to increase the sensation, but
unfortunately it also GREATLY increases the spring tension and wipes out any
benefit. The net effect is zero improvment and some seriously tired arms

There are a billion (with a b) adjustments in the Wheel Config Templates
that come with the game and I can only hope someone will document it and
there is a setting to change this.

Finally, I've noticed that many (most_) of the settings in the plr and other
settings files are not being used by the game in it's demo fashion. There
are a bunch of mirror settings beyond what has already been mentioned on RAS
(though the one to turn off car interference and the magnification were
superb changes and made the mirror very useful). You can control the
position (needed since the POV doesn't position the mirror right), height,
width, etc... but none of them (except the one's mentioned above) seem to be
operable right now.

Same for graphics, sound, etc. In the sound section there are far more
adjustments than the game interface presents (I sure hope that is fixed in
the release). Namely, the ability to change the car's engine volume AND the
ratio of other cars to yours as far as volume. That will help the sound
problems a lot.

The sounds=16 don't work for me.

That's it for now. I hope this setup helps others enjoy the demo a lot more
than it is as downloaded. It sure has breathed a little hope into me

I can attach the setup here if everyone promises not to kill me for it.
It's only 2 K

-Larry

Old January 24th 05, 08:05 PM
Bob V

"Larry" > wrote in message
: Ok... Let me start with this.
:
: It has potential.
:
: First off, there are a BILLION (with a B) settings in not only the Player
: file, but in the wheel control files. Now all some one has to do is write
: manual for it
:
: Now, as for car handling...
:
[...]

Great post, Larry. I too spent a ton of time yesterday on a Kansas setup.
My best so far is 30.486, but I feel like there's more that can be done as I
think my entry into turn 1 can be improved.

FYI, couple of pointers from Bob Stanley, while he said he hasn't actually
tried the demo, he did suggest starting with a Jasper setup from NR2003, and
setting both front and rear tow out to 1/8".

Old January 24th 05, 08:30 PM
Plowboy2

Las Vegas? lol

(ROFLMAO) where'd you get that demo? mine has KS...

Larry enlightened us with:

Old January 24th 05, 08:35 PM
Larry

I'll try that. Thanks!

-Larry

Old January 24th 05, 10:29 PM
David G Fisher

What adjustment did you make to your steering lock setting? It's key in any
ISI based sim. With my MS wheel, I need to set it low, while with my
Thrustmaster Ferrari wheel, I need to set it high (opposite of Papy sims).
Felt awful with the default setup at Kansas at 13 until I moved it to about
20. Then it was much, much better. I'd like to try your setup. Please post
the huge file here. :-)

--
David G Fisher

Old January 24th 05, 11:08 PM
mjones53

Thanks Larry, please post your setup if you can or will too. If not send it
to me at

Thanks,

Old January 24th 05, 11:34 PM
JP

"Larry" > wrote in message
> Crap. I meant Kansas...
>
> See what these cookie-cutter tracks do to us! Like Mikey, we end up at

the
> wrong damned track!
>
> -Larry

Lol, no kidding. Vegas, Kansas......tomato, tomahto.

Old January 26th 05, 11:18 AM
Larry

I uploaded the setup to a reply. Now whether it shows up or not is another
problem.

Is Cox Cable blocking Newsgroup attachments ?

-Larry

Old January 26th 05, 01:03 PM
David G Fisher

Not seeing it anywhere.

Can you e-mail it to me at
--
David G Fisher

Old January 26th 05, 01:41 PM
Dave Henrie

"David G Fisher" > wrote in news:A-Wdncer742uCGrcRVn-
:

> Not seeing it anywhere.
>
> Can you e-mail it to me at

this is a non binary newsgroup. Use alt.binaries.simulators.autos.
dh