Rigorous air filter comparison test

Old January 3rd 05, 08:42 PM
Daniel J. Stern

Default Rigorous air filter comparison test

http://home.usadatanet.net/~jbplock/ISO5011/SPICER.htm

Interesting stuff. Just look how well that K&N did at stopping dirt!
Old January 3rd 05, 10:40 PM
Nate Nagel

Daniel J. Stern wrote:

> http://home.usadatanet.net/~jbplock/ISO5011/SPICER.htm
>
> Interesting stuff. Just look how well that K&N did at stopping dirt!

About what I suspected! The surprise to me was that the AC-Delco did so
well. I've been pretty much sold on Wix and Purolator for oil filters,
but I might have to go to the dark side next time I need an air filter.
I thought AC-Delco was still associated with GM somehow? Wonder how
they managed to make a product that doesn't suck? The only apparent
downside appears to be the higher initial flow restriction, but it looks
like it kicks ass in all other categories.

Too bad they didn't test any Mann or Mahle products, I'd sure be
interested to see how they stack up against the domestic brands. I've
been in the habit of ordering the German filters for my German cars
whenever I mail-order parts as the price is competitive with the parts
stores (and they generally aren't in stock at the parts store anyway)
and everyone "knows" they are better, but it would be nice to have some
hard data.

nate

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel
Old January 3rd 05, 10:40 PM
Nate Nagel

Old January 3rd 05, 11:07 PM
Daniel J. Stern

On Mon, 3 Jan 2005, Nate Nagel wrote:

> > http://home.usadatanet.net/~jbplock/ISO5011/SPICER.htm
> > Interesting stuff. Just look how well that K&N did at stopping dirt!

> About what I suspected! The surprise to me was that the AC-Delco did so
> well. I've been pretty much sold on Wix and Purolator for oil filters,
> but I might have to go to the dark side next time I need an air filter.
> I thought AC-Delco was still associated with GM somehow?

It is, but be advised this was a test on air filters for *one specific
application* which happens to have been a GM Duramax diesel engine. I'd
hesitate to generalize these AC-Delco results to a non-GM application,
only because I don't know the degree to which AC-Delco buys and reboxes
filters for non-GM applications. I'd have to scrutinize the construction
details and compare to other filter makes to see.

> Too bad they didn't test any Mann or Mahle products, I'd sure be
> interested to see how they stack up against the domestic brands.

> Mann or Mahle, everyone "knows" they are better

Pffft. "It's German, so it *MUST* be better!" (and variants of the same
fairy tale) is the only existing basis for such opinions.

DS
Old January 3rd 05, 11:07 PM
Daniel J. Stern

Old January 3rd 05, 11:25 PM
Steve W.

"Daniel J. Stern" > wrote in message
n.umich.edu...

> http://home.usadatanet.net/~jbplock/ISO5011/SPICER.htm
>
> Interesting stuff. Just look how well that K&N did at stopping dirt!

Yep, proves what I have thought all along, K&N SUCKS!

--
Steve Williams

Old January 3rd 05, 11:25 PM
Steve W.

Old January 3rd 05, 11:26 PM
Huw

"Daniel J. Stern" > wrote in message
n.umich.edu...
> On Mon, 3 Jan 2005, Nate Nagel wrote:
>
>> > http://home.usadatanet.net/~jbplock/ISO5011/SPICER.htm
>> > Interesting stuff. Just look how well that K&N did at stopping dirt!

>> About what I suspected! The surprise to me was that the AC-Delco did so
>> well. I've been pretty much sold on Wix and Purolator for oil filters,
>> but I might have to go to the dark side next time I need an air filter.
>> I thought AC-Delco was still associated with GM somehow?

> It is, but be advised this was a test on air filters for *one specific
> application* which happens to have been a GM Duramax diesel engine. I'd
> hesitate to generalize these AC-Delco results to a non-GM application,
> only because I don't know the degree to which AC-Delco buys and reboxes
> filters for non-GM applications. I'd have to scrutinize the construction
> details and compare to other filter makes to see.
>
>> Too bad they didn't test any Mann or Mahle products, I'd sure be
>> interested to see how they stack up against the domestic brands.

>> Mann or Mahle, everyone "knows" they are better

> Pffft. "It's German, so it *MUST* be better!" (and variants of the same
> fairy tale) is the only existing basis for such opinions.
>
> DS

John Deere filters have their filtration standard printed on the can. I
don't know who makes their engine oil filters but in common with many other
manufacturers their other filters are made variously by Mann, Donaldson,
UCC, Stanadyne and others. What is important is that they are tailored to
the application. Original equipment filters can be beaten but they are more
than up to the job in the absence of evidence to the contrary so why bother
risking your equipment with spurious parts of unknown performance.
If your original air cleaner element blocks prematurely then fit a big
****-off Donaldson or Locker Air Maze unit as fitted to a tractor or such
rather than piddle about with fancy brand foam or other toy parts.
Ultimately you could fix a venturi to the exhaust system to suck all the
bigger **** out of the air cleaner to be literally 'exhausted'. At least you
will know that these industrial units will take a whole lot of ****. In fact
most of these units, say off a 80hp tractor will have an element life of
about the life of the car without cleaning or replacing.
Personally and unless extreme conditions are likely, like desert convoy
operation, I would just stay with original equipment.

Huw

Old January 3rd 05, 11:26 PM
Huw

Old January 3rd 05, 11:32 PM
Huw

"Steve W." > wrote in message

> "Daniel J. Stern" > wrote in message
> n.umich.edu...
>>
>> http://home.usadatanet.net/~jbplock/ISO5011/SPICER.htm
>>
>> Interesting stuff. Just look how well that K&N did at stopping dirt!

> Yep, proves what I have thought all along, K&N SUCKS!

But only for a short time.

Huw