Is there a nominal 100K mile check engine light for New Beetles??

Old January 8th 05, 10:36 PM

Default Is there a nominal 100K mile check engine light for New Beetles??

My SOs 98 NB is at 99,600 miles. Check engine light just appeared.

We will of course, do the diagnostic, but wondered if there was a
normal
light off at 100L miles??

Tks..
Old January 8th 05, 11:30 PM
Rob Guenther

Probably just a coincidence (the light, if you had one would more then
likely go off at 100K miles, or the next time you started your car after
100K - based on my experience with a Service reminder light) I don't think
VW has service reminders, at least not in the their smaller cars... I've
never had one go off in any of our VW's past and present.

Our Volvo (a 93') has one, but it says SERVICE on a light amber background -
actually this car doesn't seem to even have a general MIL light (there is a
Check Engine light, but it's only for the engine, not subsystems), it has
individual lights for each system, which is nice.... The new VW's seem to be
going this way too... My 99.5 Golf has a lot more lights then my 91 Golf
did - tho, still the engine light comes on for a lot of problems, sometimes
accompanied by another light (like the glow plug light flashing if the
engine runs rich).

Old January 9th 05, 04:07 AM
Matt B.

"Rob Guenther" > wrote in message
>I don't think VW has service reminders, at least not in the their smaller
>cars... I've never had one go off in any of our VW's past and present.

Not sure about all VWs but my '00 Eurovan will say either 'INSP' or 'OIL' in
place of the trip odometer for the first 60 or so seconds after starting
when it's getting close to an oil change or larger inspection.

The CEL in this case sounds like an actual fault and not any type of
reminder.

Old January 9th 05, 06:14 AM
Rob Guenther

That's why I said the smaller cars - I know Golfs and Jetta's don't for
sure, didn't know if any other ones did.

Old January 9th 05, 06:38 AM
Matt B.

"Rob Guenther" > wrote in message
> That's why I said the smaller cars - I know Golfs and Jetta's don't for
> sure, didn't know if any other ones did.

and the bummer is that on my EV, the light's interval and the maintenance
stated in the manual don't jive together at the same time either so it's
moderately useless.

Old January 9th 05, 06:44 AM
Rob Guenther

How nice... my Volvo's light seems to follow the severe service schedual,
which is appropriate as we use it to tow, and do a lot of short distance
driving.... I don't know if it adapted to use the severe mode, or if this is
normal for the car.... I find I can keep track of my own odometer and I
don't use the light anyways.

Old January 9th 05, 07:04 AM
Matt B.

"Rob Guenther" > wrote in message
> How nice... my Volvo's light seems to follow the severe service schedual,
> which is appropriate as we use it to tow, and do a lot of short distance
> driving.... I don't know if it adapted to use the severe mode, or if this
> is normal for the car.... I find I can keep track of my own odometer and I
> don't use the light anyways.

My light is triggered at multiples of 7500 miles and the manual states 10K
miles for oil changes but since my EV often sits in the garage for 1-2 weeks
at a time and sometimes only then is used on local shopping and errand trips
(and not too often on long road trips), I usually follow 7500 miles anyway
for the oil changes instead of 10K.