Replacing motor in 1968 coupe?

Old March 18th 05, 11:20 PM
Thomas Cameron

Default Replacing motor in 1968 coupe?

Well, since I want to be able to restore the '68 back to stock pretty
easily, what are my engine options? I've heard that the 351C/351W is a
drop-in for this car. I've also heard that a bigger (390, 429 and 460)
motor requires modification like moving the shock towers up front.

Is that true? How big a motor can I just drop in? How much work is it to
put a big block in?

Thanks!
Thomas
Old March 18th 05, 11:28 PM
Spike

Your 68 was built for the bigger blocks as opposed to 64.5/65/66 which
could take the 351W but not the 351C, 390, etc. The world is you
oyster. What does the VIN say it should have in it?

On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 22:20:53 GMT, Thomas Cameron
> wrote:

>Well, since I want to be able to restore the '68 back to stock pretty
>easily, what are my engine options? I've heard that the 351C/351W is a
>drop-in for this car. I've also heard that a bigger (390, 429 and 460)
>motor requires modification like moving the shock towers up front.
>
>Is that true? How big a motor can I just drop in? How much work is it to
>put a big block in?
>
>Thanks!
>Thomas

Hey! Spikey Likes IT!
Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior
Vintage 40 Wheels 16X8"
w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A Radial 225/50ZR16
Old March 18th 05, 11:40 PM
Thomas Cameron

On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 14:28:48 -0800, Spike wrote:
> On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 22:20:53 GMT, Thomas Cameron
> > wrote:
>
>>Well, since I want to be able to restore the '68 back to stock pretty
>>easily, what are my engine options? I've heard that the 351C/351W is a
>>drop-in for this car. I've also heard that a bigger (390, 429 and 460)
>>motor requires modification like moving the shock towers up front.
>>
>>Is that true? How big a motor can I just drop in? How much work is it to
>>put a big block in?
>>
>>Thanks!
>>Thomas

> Hey! Spikey Likes IT!
> 1965 Ford Mustang fastback 2+2 A Code 289 C4 Trac-Lok
> Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior
> Vintage 40 Wheels 16X8"
> w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A Radial 225/50ZR16

> Your 68 was built for the bigger blocks as opposed to 64.5/65/66 which
> could take the 351W but not the 351C, 390, etc. The world is you
> oyster. What does the VIN say it should have in it?

The VIN is 8T01CXXXXXX. If I read it right, it should have the 289 2bbl
that's in it now.

So you think I could go nuts and put a 429 in it? I assume that would
involve a different transmission (prolly rear end), too.

Thomas
Old March 19th 05, 12:19 AM

Thomas Cameron wrote:

> So you think I could go nuts and put a 429 in it? =A0
> I assume that would involve a different transmission
> (prolly rear end), too.

The 390's and 428's are called "FE's." The 429's and 460's are called
"385 series." The FE is a drop in for a '68, although yes you should
upgrade the entire drivetrain. The 385 will fit, but only with an
aftermarket kit that mounts it up high and forward, or with some form
of shocktower trimming or elimination.

I wouldn't go with a big block. You can get 400 hp/400 ft/lbs with a
351 Windsor. Ford itself sells one rated at 385 hp. Even cheaper
would be a $2000 Ford 5.0 shortblock and some aftermarket heads off
eBay or a swap meet. That would get you to 300-350 hp for less than
$3000. In a 1.5 ton car that's plenty for a start. Your existing
drivetrain can live with that, and if you decide later that it's not
enough you could add a supercharger.

180 Out

Old March 19th 05, 04:27 AM
66 6F HCS

"Thomas Cameron" > wrote
>I've heard that the 351C/351W is a
> drop-in for this car.

I'd stick with a W. C's arew hard to find in decent condition and the W was
made longer and has ALL the upgrades from a 5.0 except the intake. This all
equals saved $$$

> I've also heard that a bigger (390, 429 and 460)
> motor requires modification like moving the shock towers up front.

Who's the 'tard that told you that?

> Is that true?

NO!!!

> How big a motor can I just drop in?

How bout this???
http://www.rpmmachine.com/ford-460-557-stroker.shtml
557 cid 460 stroker. OUCH!!
--
Scott W.
'66 Mustang HCS 289

Old March 23rd 05, 01:10 AM
Thomas Cameron

"66 6F HCS" > wrote in message

> "Thomas Cameron" > wrote
>>I've heard that the 351C/351W is a
>> drop-in for this car.

> I'd stick with a W. C's arew hard to find in decent condition and the W
> was made longer and has ALL the upgrades from a 5.0 except the intake.
> This all equals saved $$$
>
>> I've also heard that a bigger (390, 429 and 460)
>> motor requires modification like moving the shock towers up front.

> Who's the 'tard that told you that?
>
>> Is that true?

> NO!!!
>
>> How big a motor can I just drop in?

> How bout this???
> http://www.rpmmachine.com/ford-460-557-stroker.shtml
> 557 cid 460 stroker. OUCH!!
> --
> Scott W.
> '66 Mustang HCS 289
> '68 Ranchero 500 302
> '69 Mustang Sportsroof 351W
> ThunderSnake #57

ROFLMAO - too funny.

So you are saying that you can drop a 460 in without having to modify the
engine compartment? Just the appropriate motor mounts? I've got a line on
a fresh rebuilt 460 with a 7 year/70K mile warranty for pretty cheap
(http://tinyurl.com/45bb8). They'll do the following to this engine:

cam- 50.00
port and polish heads- 350.00
balance engine- 150.00 plus we will need your harmonic balancer and
flywheel/flexplate
high volume oil pump- 35.00
double roller timing set- 65.00

So between the motor and the performance work it would be a little over
$2000 plus shipping.

I know that I will need to come up with intake and exhaust manifolds, carb,
headers, pipes, etc. I am not sure about what else I will need, but I
assume the list will be long. I am not sure about the electical system,
whether the stock power steering will work with this motor, etc.

Can you offer any opinions or advice?

Thanks!
Thomas

Old March 23rd 05, 03:18 AM
66 6F HCS

"Thomas Cameron" > wrote
> Can you offer any opinions or advice?

Honestly, I would talk to Bill S and/or CobraJet in AHPBBFM, especially if
you want to go big block. I myself would go with a stroker small block.
--
Scott W.
'66 Mustang HCS 289

Old March 23rd 05, 04:07 AM
Spike

At approaching $3 per gallon... I'm even tempted to disconnect about 4
cyls.... LOL.... Bill gates I am not..... and I couldn't qualify for
welfare....

On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 19:18:49 -0700, "66 6F HCS"