M5 versus Shelby GT500

Old August 26th 06, 10:27 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
[email protected]

Default M5 versus Shelby GT500

2006 BMW M5 (5 liter V10 7 speed with 500 horsepower & 383 torque)
versus 2007 Ford Shelby GT500 ( 5.4 liter V8 6 speed with 500 horsepower
& 480 torque). I am not a mechanic and don't know exactly what torque
is but I heard that if a car has more torque, it has more power. If I
am right, does that mean Ford Shelby can out run M5 from zero to sixty
and high speed?. Also M5 costs almost twice as much than Shelby GT500
so seems Shelby is a better value. Am I right? Is there other side to
this that I am ignorant about? Enlighten me please if I am.

Old August 26th 06, 11:06 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Jeff Strickland[_1_]

The bitterness of low quality lasts long after the sweetness of low cost is
gone.

Old August 26th 06, 11:16 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Tom K.

> wrote in message ...
> 2006 BMW M5 (5 liter V10 7 speed with 500 horsepower & 383 torque)
> versus 2007 Ford Shelby GT500 ( 5.4 liter V8 6 speed with 500 horsepower
> & 480 torque). I am not a mechanic and don't know exactly what torque
> is but I heard that if a car has more torque, it has more power.

If other things (such as weight, Cd, gearing, etc.) are equal, then more
torque = faster acceleration and more horsepower = higher top speed.

> If I am right, does that mean Ford Shelby can out run M5 from zero to
> sixty
> and high speed?.

Not necessarily.

> Also M5 costs almost twice as much than Shelby GT500
> so seems Shelby is a better value. Am I right?

No.

> Is there other side to this that I am ignorant about? Enlighten me please
> if I am.

For most of us, automotive value involves a good deal more than straight
line acceleration and top speed.

Tom K.

Old August 26th 06, 11:28 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Floyd Rogers[_1_]

> wrote
> 2006 BMW M5 (5 liter V10 7 speed with 500 horsepower & 383 torque)
> versus 2007 Ford Shelby GT500 ( 5.4 liter V8 6 speed with 500 horsepower
> & 480 torque). I am not a mechanic and don't know exactly what torque
> is but I heard that if a car has more torque, it has more power. If I
> am right, does that mean Ford Shelby can out run M5 from zero to sixty
> and high speed?. Also M5 costs almost twice as much than Shelby GT500
> so seems Shelby is a better value. Am I right? Is there other side to
> this that I am ignorant about? Enlighten me please if I am.

Assuming you're not a troll;
According to Car & Driver, the Shelby does 0-60 in 4.5s, the 1/4 mile in
12.9s.
The M5 does 0-60 in 4.2s, 1/4 mile in 12.5s. The M5 stops faster, in 158
feet
from 70 mph vs. 172 feet for the Ford. The M5 also has a higher top speed,
if the
governors were removed.

The M5 also takes 4 adults in comfort, while the Ford really only takes two
adults and 2 children.

The Ford won't even beat a Corvette - even a Coupe with LS2 will beat
it. The Z06 will destroy it.

FloydR

Old August 27th 06, 12:29 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Dean Dark

On Sat, 26 Aug 2006 15:28:12 -0700, "Floyd Rogers"
> wrote:

>Assuming you're not a troll;

Why on earth would you make such an assumption?
--
Dan.
Old August 27th 06, 04:31 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Toby

On Sat, 26 Aug 2006 15:06:37 -0700, "Jeff Strickland"
> wrote:

>The bitterness of low quality lasts long after the sweetness of low cost is
>gone.
>

> wrote in message ...
>> 2006 BMW M5 (5 liter V10 7 speed with 500 horsepower & 383 torque)
>> versus 2007 Ford Shelby GT500 ( 5.4 liter V8 6 speed with 500 horsepower
>> & 480 torque). I am not a mechanic and don't know exactly what torque
>> is but I heard that if a car has more torque, it has more power. If I
>> am right, does that mean Ford Shelby can out run M5 from zero to sixty
>> and high speed?. Also M5 costs almost twice as much than Shelby GT500
>> so seems Shelby is a better value. Am I right? Is there other side to
>> this that I am ignorant about? Enlighten me please if I am.

That's awesome!

Another - my lug nuts require more torque than your Honda makes...
Old August 27th 06, 10:08 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Eisboch[_1_]

> wrote in message ...
> 2006 BMW M5 (5 liter V10 7 speed with 500 horsepower & 383 torque)
> versus 2007 Ford Shelby GT500 ( 5.4 liter V8 6 speed with 500 horsepower
> & 480 torque). I am not a mechanic and don't know exactly what torque
> is but I heard that if a car has more torque, it has more power. If I
> am right, does that mean Ford Shelby can out run M5 from zero to sixty
> and high speed?. Also M5 costs almost twice as much than Shelby GT500
> so seems Shelby is a better value. Am I right? Is there other side to
> this that I am ignorant about? Enlighten me please if I am.

According to road tests by Road & Track and Car & Driver, the M5 is a bit
faster in the 0-60 and quarter mile runs due, in part, to the 7 speed SMG
transmission that shifts in something like 50 milliseconds in the S6 mode.
But that's only part of the comparison. The M5 is much more of a total
driver's car and I get a kick out of the straight line, quarter mile tests
or drag race results.

Put them on a winding track or road and the M5 walks away due to superior
handling capabilities.
The Shelby is a fun, fast car but the BMW is much more refined overall. If
you are into drag racing, (which I am not) my guess is that the Shelby would
initially pull ahead slightly but the M5 would quickly close the gap and
then pull away once the engine RPM got up into the power band. (The M5
develops full horsepower at 7,400 RPM and redlines at 8,250 RPM). The M5
acceleration above 100 mph is simply incredible. According to BMW it is
electronically governed to 155 mph, however most owners that try it are
reporting that the limiter cuts in at 168-172 mph. With the limiter
disabled, it tops out at just over 200 mph.

I have no idea what a Shelby GT500 costs, so I don't know if the M5 is near
twice the cost or not.
Think of it this way. The M5 is a bit faster overall than a Ferrari f430
which sells for more than twice the price of a fully equipped M5. (the F430
is well over $200k)

I am sure the Shelby is a spirited, fun car to drive ... for a while. But
take it on a day long road trip and I'll bet you will feel the affects of
long distance driving. Do the same trip in a M5 (or regular 5 or 7 series
for that matter) and you will arrive at your destination refreshed and ready
for more.

Think of it this way. The M5 is a bit faster overall than a Ferrari f430
which sells for more than twice the price of a fully equipped M5.

Eisboch
'06 Silver Grey BMW M5

Old August 27th 06, 10:18 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Eisboch[_1_]

"Floyd Rogers" > wrote in message

> Assuming you're not a troll;
> According to Car & Driver, the Shelby does 0-60 in 4.5s, the 1/4 mile in
> 12.9s.
> The M5 does 0-60 in 4.2s, 1/4 mile in 12.5s. The M5 stops faster, in 158
> feet
> from 70 mph vs. 172 feet for the Ford. The M5 also has a higher top
> speed, if the
> governors were removed.
>
> The M5 also takes 4 adults in comfort, while the Ford really only takes
> two
> adults and 2 children.
>
> The Ford won't even beat a Corvette - even a Coupe with LS2 will beat
> it. The Z06 will destroy it.
>
> FloydR

Should have read your response first, before my long-winded one.
BTW, the M5 can't hold a candle to the Z06 either, although it gives it a
good run.

Eisboch

Old August 27th 06, 10:32 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Eisboch[_1_]

"Eisboch" > wrote in message

> > wrote in message ...
>> 2006 BMW M5 (5 liter V10 7 speed with 500 horsepower & 383 torque)
>> versus 2007 Ford Shelby GT500 ( 5.4 liter V8 6 speed with 500 horsepower
>> & 480 torque). I am not a mechanic and don't know exactly what torque
>> is but I heard that if a car has more torque, it has more power. If I
>> am right, does that mean Ford Shelby can out run M5 from zero to sixty
>> and high speed?. Also M5 costs almost twice as much than Shelby GT500
>> so seems Shelby is a better value. Am I right? Is there other side to
>> this that I am ignorant about? Enlighten me please if I am.
>>

> According to road tests by Road & Track and Car & Driver, the M5 is a bit
> faster in the 0-60 and quarter mile runs due, in part, to the 7 speed SMG
> transmission that shifts in something like 50 milliseconds in the S6 mode.
> But that's only part of the comparison. The M5 is much more of a total
> driver's car and I get a kick out of the straight line, quarter mile tests
> or drag race results.
>
> Put them on a winding track or road and the M5 walks away due to superior
> handling capabilities.
> The Shelby is a fun, fast car but the BMW is much more refined overall.
> If you are into drag racing, (which I am not) my guess is that the Shelby
> would initially pull ahead slightly but the M5 would quickly close the gap
> and then pull away once the engine RPM got up into the power band. (The
> M5 develops full horsepower at 7,400 RPM and redlines at 8,250 RPM). The
> M5 acceleration above 100 mph is simply incredible. According to BMW it is
> electronically governed to 155 mph, however most owners that try it are
> reporting that the limiter cuts in at 168-172 mph. With the limiter
> disabled, it tops out at just over 200 mph.
>
> I have no idea what a Shelby GT500 costs, so I don't know if the M5 is
> near twice the cost or not.
> Think of it this way. The M5 is a bit faster overall than a Ferrari f430
> which sells for more than twice the price of a fully equipped M5. (the
> F430 is well over $200k)
>
> I am sure the Shelby is a spirited, fun car to drive ... for a while. But
> take it on a day long road trip and I'll bet you will feel the affects of
> long distance driving. Do the same trip in a M5 (or regular 5 or 7 series
> for that matter) and you will arrive at your destination refreshed and
> ready for more.
>
> Eisboch
> '06 Silver Grey BMW M5

-edit- deleted repeated sentence.

Old August 27th 06, 11:16 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Eisboch[_1_]

"Eisboch" > wrote in message

> > wrote in message ...
>> 2006 BMW M5 (5 liter V10 7 speed with 500 horsepower & 383 torque)
>> versus 2007 Ford Shelby GT500 ( 5.4 liter V8 6 speed with 500 horsepower
>> & 480 torque). I am not a mechanic and don't know exactly what torque
>> is but I heard that if a car has more torque, it has more power. If I
>> am right, does that mean Ford Shelby can out run M5 from zero to sixty
>> and high speed?. Also M5 costs almost twice as much than Shelby GT500
>> so seems Shelby is a better value. Am I right? Is there other side to
>> this that I am ignorant about? Enlighten me please if I am.

Just read a review on the '07 Shelby GT500 at Edmunds.com. Looks like a
potent car. It's turbocharged as compared to the naturally aspirated M5.
Edmunds mentions it as being a challenge to the M3 and doesn't mention the
M5. I'll betcha the M3 can still out-handle it, overall.

Looks like you are correct in the pricing. The Shelby 500 is just over 40K
whereas the M5 starts at about 82k.

Eisboch