2001 A4 turn lights blink once and fail

Old August 20th 06, 07:18 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
[email protected]

Default 2001 A4 turn lights blink once and fail

Hi,
My 2001 A4's (1.8T Quattro) turn lights blink once or twice and then
die down as if the battery went down or something. This happens with
both the left and the right turn lights. But when the hazard switch is
pushed, the indicators work fine and continue to blink correctly. That
probably means the bulbs are just fine.
Any idea what the problem might be ?
I found a similar post in this group (a post thats 2 years old, so I
could not reply to that thread, it has been closed now):
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.a... 45beae8518c4
In the above thread, the indicators seem to have failed even when the
hazard switch was pushed.
However in my case, they work fine then, but fail only when I use the
right or left indicator switch.

Would appreciate suggestions/directions here.

Thanks,
girish.

Old August 20th 06, 07:40 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
Pete[_2_]

> wrote
> Would appreciate suggestions/directions here.

This is a common issue. Faulty hazard relay switch. Unfortunately it
is integrated into the hazard button in the center console, so the
entire thing needs to be replaced.

Cheers,

Pete

Old August 20th 06, 09:19 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
[email protected]

Thanks Pete, appreciate the prompt response.
Is this something that I could do myself ? Just wanted to know how
easy/complex a task it is.

girish.

Old August 20th 06, 09:50 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
Pete[_2_]

> wrote
> Thanks Pete, appreciate the prompt response.
> Is this something that I could do myself ? Just wanted to know how
> easy/complex a task it is.

It's doable, although you have to be very careful when removing the
center console trim not to break off the little clips that hold it in
place. Removing the relay itself may be though too if you don't have
the right tools. I just had mine done by the dealer - it's a 10 minute
job. They still managed to break those little clips and I ended up
getting a new trim piece.

Cheers,

Pete

Old August 21st 06, 07:08 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
Lez Pawl

"Pete" > wrote in message

> > wrote
>> Thanks Pete, appreciate the prompt response.
>> Is this something that I could do myself ? Just wanted to know how
>> easy/complex a task it is.

> It's doable, although you have to be very careful when removing the center
> console trim not to break off the little clips that hold it in place.
> Removing the relay itself may be though too if you don't have the right
> tools. I just had mine done by the dealer - it's a 10 minute job. They
> still managed to break those little clips and I ended up getting a new
> trim piece.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Pete

this shows quality,

it takes 15 seconds max to do the one in our Vauxhall Nova. Mind you we have
done it twice in the last year so we've had the practice.

Old August 21st 06, 09:16 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
[email protected]

mm mm ok.
just checked with the dealership parts department. the relay itself
costs $45.
checked with the service department and they put the estimate at $150
for parts + labor

still thinking if i should take it to them....

girish.

Old August 21st 06, 09:24 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
Pete[_2_]

> wrote
> just checked with the dealership parts department. the relay itself
> costs $45.
> checked with the service department and they put the estimate at $150
> for parts + labor

Yeah, that's a lot. Would make me think twice, too. ecstuning.com has it
for $30. Then maybe you can find a local import indy shop that would swap
it out for you for half the dealer's labor? If tell us where you are
located, someone may be able to recommend a place. Or ask around on
AudiWorld forums...

Pete

Old August 21st 06, 09:37 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
[email protected]

Checked ecstuning.com and it works to around $40 with shipping. Will
get it from dealership here locally $45 instead, so if theres a problem
with the part, it will be easier to handle.
I live in Santa Clara, California.
Any one know of a good mechanic that could do this job ?

Thanks Pete for the info.
girish.

Old August 23rd 06, 07:11 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
girish

Bought it from a local Audi mechanic for $34 and fixed it myself. The
blinkers work just fine now. Was quite an easy one to do. Took about 30
minutes for me, but I was being very very careful and slow when prising
out the trim. And as Pete pointed out, you should be careful not to
break the small clips that hold the trim. Cant understand why Audi cant
keep the assembly simpler. May be because then they cant charge $100
for swapping it out.
Thanks again guys for the advice, really appreciate it.

girish.